What's new

Hayward in Crunch Time

Amazing. So Gordon is not another coming of Kobe/Lebron/Wade so he is yesterdays trash ready to take out and leave by the curb?

He is never going to be that kind of closer, he does not have that level of talent. That said, he is a greatly talented player whom any team in the league would add in a heartbeat. He and the Jazz will figure it out, but it is going to be a tough year finishing out games. Tank on.

Seeing as right now he is at neither 8 nor 10 why tear him down? You cannot deny there has been a plethora of posts doing just that. Some good honest critique in there but alot of tear down as well.

I agree with you. But this board thinks Gordon wants max money and they are treating him like that.

He played solid last night for an 8 per year guy. He was terrible for a max guy. AK was never terrible. The problem was, he didn't play up to his deal. If we go over 8-9 per, Hayward will be the next Ostertag/AK. Solid player Jazz fans hate because he is overpaid.

I bet that if Hayward had already signed an extension and it was a 4-32, the talk of Hayward would be drastically different today and much more positive. Instead of, "he's not clutch" it would be "he is such a good passer and defender. The Jazz got a deal with his new contract. The core will grow together..." It's the money that changes things.

I agree with you. But this board thinks Gordon wants max money and they are treating him like that.

He played solid last night for an 8 per year guy. He was terrible for a max guy. AK was never terrible. The problem was, he didn't play up to his deal. If we go over 8-9 per, Hayward will be the next Ostertag/AK. Solid player Jazz fans hate because he is overpaid.

Before or after the deal? There are plenty of times after where he was terrible. Off and on the court.

I think Hayward will prove alot of people wrong. He is being thrust in the marquee spot on the team and it will take time for him to adjust. By the end of the year Hayward, Favors, Burks, Kanter, Burke and Gobert will all be better players then they are now.

Don't be silly. Hayward on a bad night is still a better player than Harris. In the end Harris is just a marginal NBA guy who gave a great effort.

This

This is what I was thinking.

Looks like Hayward is becoming the new scapegoat of the team. Guess there always has to be one.

It will always be lucas3 for me.
#lucasbestscapegoateva

I bet that if Hayward had already signed an extension and it was a 4-32, the talk of Hayward would be drastically different today and much more positive. Instead of, "he's not clutch" it would be "he is such a good passer and defender. The Jazz got a deal with his new contract. The core will grow together..." It's the money that changes things.

Yeah.... I like this post. (But refuse to use the like button cause I loathe the like button)

So far I have seen nothing that says this guy can close a game for us. In fact he looks painfully bad at it. That to me is not a max guy. Kudos to the Jazz for not bending on this one.

Having said that, I really like Hayward. I love his defense and all the other things he does. Im with everyone else that how much he gets paid will effect how he is viewed.

We cant max him out. No one else will either. Play chicken with him because we will win.

My biggest complaint with Gordon was his chucking. He ran down, pulled up for a three without any passing at all. He kept trying to play hero ball and had the patience of a tinsy fly. If Gordon is our number one option, we(and him) will be in trouble. He may be a good 3rd or forth option. This season will expose him and he will be lucky to get any offers when his deal runs out.

He was obviously trying to force overtime... And that was the only time he pulled up a 3 without passing. If he was half a step closer to the line the game would be tied. Shot was really close.

I agree with OP. Jazz can get away with paying Favors 10M+ per year due to his height/defense etc... Rarely is a big man able to close a game. (outside of Duncan, prime shaq, Malone sometimes) Since G-Time is an off the ball player wing player, it will be more difficult for him to close games. When he did get a chance to be clutch last night, we ended up watching an airball and a shot that hit the backside of the backboard... I think he's also a great player. I stand by what I've always thought. 32M/4years

I don't think anyone is saying he sucks, maybe we should just lower our expectations. this can't be surprising to anyone, he comes out flat every year.

Hmm.

This season will expose him and he will be lucky to get any offers when his deal runs out.

I would switch out Hayward with Harris

He just flat out sucks in crunch time. Certain players shine when the pressure is on (even scrubs like Robert Horry and Derrick Fisher fit the bill) but Hayward folds like origami when the heat is on. Leave it to Corbin to draw up a play to have Mr. Unclutch take the final shot of the game.

I think this will be good for us (and him). These opportunities will either teach him and help him grow to become more comfortable in crunch time, or it will show the team that he is incapable of scoring and we can go from there (make him the facilitator or straight up go to someone else to grow into that guy), either way it is 100% necessary to have hayward be the crunch time guy at this moment so that we can get a true understanding of his future with our team. Miss or make i still want Hayward to have the ball for now.

I'm pretty sure Corbin should attempt to ruin Hayward's confidence by benching him down the final stretch in the first ****ing game.

Screw the year of discovery, let's mess around with the rotations like a child playing with a box of barbie dolls.

You didn't answer my question. CJ Miles once dropped 40 to help us win. Is he clutch too?

my point was that you cannot point to a couple games over multiple seasons to demonstrate clutch. Gordon is not clutch, neither was CJ. I would never compare the two because GH is obviously better. My point has been that some people are expecting too much from GH. He is a solid roll played who will occasionally step up and have big games. do you disagree?