What's new

Hayward & Jazz - not close to agreement (Hayward leaving 4/40 on the table)

So is this ish going to happen today or not? Can't find any news on it anywhere.
I really hope nothing gets finalized today. I'd rather let this season be an audition for Hayward to determine how much he's really worth.

Its a bummer. Would like Hayward to stay but he should know its not fair to the fans and the organization to demand a contract that will play a part in negating our ability to field a contender. Truth be told, Hayward is at best a 3rd option on a championship team. legit 3rd options are around 10 million a year.

Come on Hayward... Just get a deal done at a fair price. We can't win a title if you are our #1 payed guy. Last night you scored 12 as our number one guy on 30% shooting and Durrant scored 42. Durrant is a number one guy. You are not my man. Choose the fans, team, and organization over extra money.

It really is a shame how this is panning out. I wonder if this is Hayward's call, or his Dad's call, or the Agent's call (to hold out for extra money).

I think his agent gets a percentage of the money.
So the more money Hayward gets, the more his agent gets which leads me to believe its the agent.
But these are all assumptions.

Its a bummer. Would like Hayward to stay but he should know its not fair to the fans and the organization to demand a contract that will play a part in negating our ability to field a contender. Truth be told, Hayward is at best a 3rd option on a championship team. legit 3rd options are around 10 million a year.

Come on Hayward... Just get a deal done at a fair price. We can't win a title if you are our #1 payed guy. Last night you scored 12 as our number one guy on 30% shooting and Durrant scored 42. Durrant is a number one guy. You are not my man. Choose the fans, team, and organization over extra money.
Well said Batman.

Even 4 and 40 sounds high for Hayward. I hope this deal is not on the table. 10 mil per year may not be a MAX, but it is impact player money. Is Hayward impact player? I don't think so. I think he is a solid starter and may become an all star one day. But he is not there yet, and Jazz have all the cards. We can just do nothing, let Hayward prove his worth, and then match any offer. The only reason to do a deal now is if Hayward's deal will be a no-brainer for us and we are certain he would get more next year, hence we are offering a little less now for immediate long term security in case of injury, etc... Otherwise what's the point for us to pay up front if we can match any deal next year? And I am not convinced at all he will be worth 10 mil per year next year. So, why take unnecessary chance now?

Millions of dollars is a "little extra money" to you? You must be very wealthy then. No wonder you don't understand.
4 million in salary turns into ~2 million(?) difference after tax for 4 years. That's like 10% difference. How different lifestyle is between 20 and 22 or 40/44? I don't believe it's any different, really.

4 million in salary turns into ~2 million(?) difference after tax for 4 years. That's like 10% difference. How different lifestyle is between 20 and 22 or 40/44? I don't believe it's any different, really.

Yeah, since we live in the US, where the highest tax rate is 35%, and not 50%. It turns into just under 4 million, and if he is smart about it, probably more with investing and other tricks. If he has a good accountant, he can get a lower tax rate because he is investing money. 4 million in salary is a huge deal, especially to a kid who will only have a chance to make that kind of money for a finite amount of time. It is not like he is getting 10 million plus a year for the rest of his life. After the NBA is over for him, he has to live a normal life just like everyone else. Make hay while the sun shines.

Post her? I barely even know her...

Millions of dollars is a "little extra money" to you? You must be very wealthy then. No wonder you don't understand.

So a wealthy person wouldn't understand the value of a few extra million dollars, but you would? Yeah, that makes sense.

"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million."
-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Okay, I don't post her very much. But can someone answer this for me: It happens in every sport. Why is that little extra money SO important to people? Like in baseball, you will win the World Series with a team, become best friends with teammates, become part of the local community etc. But then some team offers you an extra dollar and it's:

"Okay i'm outta here! You guys obviously didn't want me very much."

I mean WTF? Hayward will not be loved in any other city close to how he is loved here. He knows that the more money he makes the less we can give to other players. To make the TEAM better. After saying he wants to stay here forever, he's going to leave $10 million on the table for what? $11 million? Is there a huge difference in the two? This always bugged me in sports.

I like to think I wouldn't be that way. If I'm able to get millions of dollars for playing with a ball, I'm not going to try to squeeze every single million out of it. I'd rather win championships, and stay in one place. You won't exactly be strapped for cash.

It becomes a pride thing. My own interpretation from the rumors is that Hayward must have an ego that resents earning less than Favors. I'm guessing that if Favors had settled for $9 million/year, Hayward would be just fine with $10. On the other hand, my opinion could be so far off the mark as to be a waste of time to read.

I really hope nothing gets finalized today. I'd rather let this season be an audition for Hayward to determine how much he's really worth.

I agree
Unless they can get him cheap (10 million per year or less)

I like Hayward but I just don't think he is worth $10 million. I think he deserves a contract about the same amount as Millsap when he was here. I think the Jazz overpaid for Favors considering he hasn't even averaged 10 pts a game. I just don't get the NBA market where you get paid on your potential instead of what you have accomplished. Favors getting $11 shouldn't be that offensive (don't know if it is) to Hayward because Favors was a #3 pick so he has been making more money than Hayward.

Marc Stein: Five hours to go before extension deadline hits, buzz around Jazz is that whole team absorbed by Gordon Hayward's ongoing extension talks Twitter @ESPNSteinLine
Utah Jazz, Gordon Hayward

Zach Lowe: Educated hunch is the Paul George deal is infecting the Jazz-Hayward talks. Inevitable Hayward's team would bring out as benchmark. Twitter @ZachLowe_NBA
- See more at: https://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.u7oTBlMG.dpuf

Dang Paul George.