What's new

Hayward & Jazz - not close to agreement (Hayward leaving 4/40 on the table)

udflyer

Twitter lighting up today.

Apparently Hayward being offered 4/40+ million and saying no way.

Good for him.

He **definitely** will not get less than 4/40 in RFA so I have no idea why the Jazz are messing around with someone they want as future of franchise.

Give him 12/13 a year and call it a day.

He hill get at least that in RFA, with a **chance** at Max if he has a great year...Yes Max.

Plus, Jazz will be giving him valuable #1/#2 minutes this year. Big risk seeing that 4 years of development walk becasue you definately will not match the overpaid offer he
**will ** get this summer.

Come on Jazz, you are being penny wise pound foolish.

You have Locke tweeting out his comp players today. If Jazz are using Lockes stats for moneyball type data...well as we all know
Stats are for LOSERS

It appears idiot Locke does know about this deal as he re-affirmed today that IF a deal gets done, it will be last minute.

I'm not worried if Hayward doesn't get an extension by October 31st. If Hayward wants 13 mil a year, let him get that kind of offer from a team and then we'll match it, similar to what the Pacers did with Roy Hibbert. No point in assuming the market will give him that much and potentially overpay. As for getting the max, what is the max for someone who hasn't made an all-star game/all-nba team? 15.5 mil? I highly doubt he gets that.

Hayward knows it's a business and I doubt he'll hold it against the Jazz if we don't give him an extension now.

If that is true all Jazz fans should be rejoicing. Hayward is not worth more than that right now. He will be restricted next year and the jazz have the right to match any offer. You don't offer more than you are forced to. Next year maybe Hayward gets more, maybe not. I don't think he will get more than 13 million a year so why go there now. Jazz are playing this smart.

I want Hayward on the team but my love is conditioned on two things: money and production. Hayward at 13 million plus a year creates an AK47 problem. We hate that deal and therefore complain all the time. Hayward at 10 million a year and everyone loves him.

Good for him.

He **definitely** will not get less than 4/40 in RFA so I have no idea why the Jazz are messing around with someone they want as future of franchise.

He hill get at least that in RFA, with a **chance** at Max if he has a great year...Yes Max.

Plus, Jazz will be giving him valuable #1/#2 minutes this year. Big risk seeing that 4 years of development walk becasue you definately will not match the overpaid offer he

You have Locke tweeting out his comp players today. If Jazz are using Lockes stats for moneyball type data...well as we all know
Stats are for LOSERS

It appears idiot Locke does know about this deal as he re-affirmed today that IF a deal gets done, it will be last minute.

Absurd. He can go ahead and enjoy his max money elsewhere.

Hayward definitely is overrating himself. 10 / year is a pretty fair deal for both sides. Players like Favors or Kanter are much more difficult to replace. Get Jabari or Wiggins in the draft and trade Hayward by midseason for a good guard and a solid future draft pick if he won't accept our offer. No need to overpay for him next summer.

Absurd. He can go ahead and enjoy his max money elsewhere.

And I am sure he will.

Thing is, if he goes to RFA, most athletes will not play through any type of injury, etc.

He will have crazy high stats this year due to being #1/2 option. That will help him.

I just like rooting for Gtime versus "The Man" (Jazz Front Office)

I still hope they meet in the middle this week. (12/year would be hard to say no to)

Hayward definitely is overrating himself. 10 / year is a pretty fair deal for both sides. Players like Favors or Kanter are much more difficult to replace. Get Jabari or Wiggins in the draft and trade Hayward by midseason for a good guard and a solid future draft pick if he won't accept our offer. No need to overpay for him next summer.

Right because we are 100% getting the first or second pick. 10million a year is fair value for Hayward when pigs grow wings and fly away. That's rediculus. He will get at least 12 if he becomes a Freeagent, which is why we need to offer at least that, because someone is going to pay him that and more. Look at the numbers he's putting up now! He's going to at least copy what the numbers Paul George put up last year, and think he has a chance to be an Allstar this year while Gavors and Kanter continue to be inconsistent. For the life of me can't understand why so many underrate Hayward.

Udflyer is a Hayward fan not a Jazzfan (just keep that in mind)

The Max Hayward can extend for is $13,701,250 (could be slightly off but that is pretty close) and why would the Jazz offer the max now, if he proves it over the season then great and the Jazz will match. If he doesn't prove it and someone who misses out on the true max guys over the summer over pays and offers Hayward the max then well it puts the Jazz in a tough spot and I would expect them not to match.

https://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

Udflyer is a Hayward fan not a Jazzfan (just keep that in mind)

The Max Hayward can extend for is $13,701,250 (could be slightly off but that is pretty close) and why would the Jazz offer the max now, if he proves it over the season then great and the Jazz will match. If he doesn't prove it and someone who misses out on the true max guys over the summer over pays and offers Hayward the max then well it puts the Jazz in a tough spot and I would expect them not to match.

https://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

This is correct. Not hiding it. Have come to like the Jazz in this time. 3 years now and I have watched EVERY game and gone to 4. So what ? I follow players on many teams. And yes, when Hayward leaves I will
follow him with his new team. Reality of sports these days. No loyalty anywhere. :)

This does not change the fact that he will get 12-13 as a RFA, easy. If this Jazz want him pay it. If they don't , walk away.

I think it strains the relationship not to be extended now. Creates ill will (no matter what athlete says, they want the extension now, they have ego)

It's a business call and it is a business. All I read and hear is that many GM's will jump at Hayward in summer.

Don't forget, Hayward is a high IQ player being coached by "not the sharpest tool in the shed". Hayward goes to a smart coach, look out, All-star...easy.

If it'll take more than $10mm to lock him up now or next offseason, the Jazz should look to trade Hayward. Let some other team overpay for an exclusively off-ball offensive player and slightly above average defender.

This is correct. Not hiding it. Have come to like the Jazz in this time. 3 years now and I have watched EVERY game and gone to 4. So what ? I follow players on many teams. And yes, when Hayward leaves I will
follow him with his new team. Reality of sports these days. No loyalty anywhere. :)

This does not change the fact that he will get 12-13 as a RFA, easy. If this Jazz want him pay it. If they don't , walk away.

I think it strains the relationship not to be extended now. Creates ill will (no matter what athlete says, they want the extension now, they have ego)

It's a business call and it is a business. All I read and hear is that many GM's will jump at Hayward in summer.

Don't forget, Hayward is a high IQ player being coached by "not the sharpest tool in the shed". Hayward goes to a smart coach, look out, All-star...easy.

But there are risks in that strategy. Hayward could get hurt. Hayward could not play that well being the man and being defended by the best perimeter defender night in and night out. Hayward could grow resentful and the Jazz bench him. Hayward has reason to compromise just like the Jazz.

Moreover, the grass is not always greener on teams that can give you more money. Hayward may not be allowed to have the ball in his hands on another team. The Jazz are making him the man on this team and allowing the offense to run through him. On another team he may just be one of the guys again.

I'm sure if Hayward said he would take 4/44million as a final walk away offer the jazz would accept. Over that amount and the Jazz are better off waiting for free agency.

Good for him.

Stats are for LOSERS

Why would the Jazz offer more than that right now? If Hayward has a great season, they might have to pay him 12-13 million a year. If he has an OK to good season, he will be at 10-11 million. If he struggles or gets injured, he probably will make less than 10 million. Jazz are offering security for a few million per year less. Jazz will gladly pay him more if he has a great season, so they might as well wait to see it happen before committing to it. Hayward will likely end up getting around 4 years 44 million, but is 4 million worth the risk of injury or a bad season? I guess to him it is.

I reiterate, if you're a perimeter player making well into 8-digits, you had better be able to reliably do something with the ball in your hands. If Hayward figures that out this year, then he'll get that money. Paying a 4th year player that money merely on the hope that he suddenly figures that out is foolish. Good for the Jazz.

Sounds like the Jazz are more than willing to extend Hayward right now for a little more to about right what he is worth. If he doesn't want it then its on him to prove he is worth more this year. Right now the Jazz are giving him Market Value for where he is in his development.

4/44 seems pretty fair to me. Anything less and he's a steal. Anything more and I begin to feel a little queezy.

While Hayward might be worth more than $11mil/year on the open market, he may not turn out to be worth that or more than that to the Jazz. This has less to do with how good Hayward is, and may have more to do with the Jazz's other options. It makes sense for the Jazz to see how Trey Burke and Alec Burks progress this year, project how much they'll have to pay for Kanter, and also see if they can add an elite wing player on rookie scale through the upcoming draft. I don't see how it's in the Jazz's interest to overcommit on Hayward right now, although he has value beyond what shows up in the stats.

Among the young players we have right now, one or more may end up getting traded, especially given the quality of next years draft class and the fact that we'll have two picks in it.

Just for the record, I booed the bum on draft night because I knew this was going to happen.

:rolleyes: