What's new

Hayward & Jazz - not close to agreement (Hayward leaving 4/40 on the table)

Right because we are 100% getting the first or second pick. 10million a year is fair value for Hayward when pigs grow wings and fly away. That's rediculus. He will get at least 12 if he becomes a Freeagent, which is why we need to offer at least that, because someone is going to pay him that and more. Look at the numbers he's putting up now! He's going to at least copy what the numbers Paul George put up last year, and think he has a chance to be an Allstar this year while Gavors and Kanter continue to be inconsistent. For the life of me can't understand why so many underrate Hayward.

I love your attitude and Hayward is probably my favorite player but I disagree. Hayward is not an all star now and probably never will be. I hope I eat those words. I think max money needs to go to a guy who was born with the ability to take over a team and when nessessary a game. Hayward was not born with that ability. He can "learn" it but we've all had a boss a some point in our lives that was trying to learn to be a leader. If you're not born with it you not going to magically learn it.

Turning down over 40 million is absurd. Injuries happen all the time. You may never get another shot at a contract like that. Now maybe you ball big time this year and get yourself 50 mill. Is 10 million more worth the risk? Dumb move by Haywards camp if you ask me. And sorry he is not a max guy no way in hell. Love the kids game but he is at best a second option on a contending team. Second options should not be getting max unless your the ****ing Nets.

The same posters who were saying James Harden wasn't a franchise player are the same now saying Hayward is worth the max, and vice versa.

It's the right play by both sides. The jazz are hesitant to over pay as they should and Hayward's camp is confident he'll get better next year which I believe he will. If Hayward is worth the max he'll prove it this year. I would much rather pay a little more next year when he's proven he's worth it then to pay slightly less now and take a big risk

I love your attitude and Hayward is probably my favorite player but I disagree. Hayward is not an all star now and probably never will be. I hope I eat those words. I think max money needs to go to a guy who was born with the ability to take over a team and when nessessary a game. Hayward was not born with that ability. He can "learn" it but we've all had a boss a some point in our lives that was trying to learn to be a leader. If you're not born with it you not going to magically learn it.

"You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later."

It's the right play by both sides. The jazz are hesitant to over pay as they should and Hayward's camp is confident he'll get better next year which I believe he will. If Hayward is worth the max he'll prove it this year. I would much rather pay a little more when he's proven he's worth it then to pay slightly less and take a big risk

"You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later."

Problem is that the Jazz will usually have to pay a little more to players to land them. Especially now when we are so young and not a contender.

Problem is that the Jazz will usually have to pay a little more to players to land them. Especially now when we are so young and not a contender.

I agree we have to pay more to land new players, but in this case we don't have to. We just have to pay the same. The only negative in this whole situation to me is that it would've been nice to have the security that Hayward is locked up, both Gordon and the Jazz would both be more comfortable this season, but if everyone is too far apart just accept it and don't worry about it till next year

We also have to remember Lindsey is looking forward to future signings as well. What if kanter goes crazy this year? Maybe burks takes a huge leap? I think they want to wait to evaluate who are actually the true max (or close to) players on this team. We locked up easily the most valuable piece on our team to a reasonable deal. Still a pretty much flawless offseason.

Do normal third options dish out 5 assists a game? Because that is what Hayward will likely do this year.

Please define "normal", as we are not much interested in an average third to fourth option being paid the max.

BTW, Ginobili averaged over 5 ast per 36 over his career playing alongside a legitimate MVP and one of the most underrated players of all time, all to go with a damn near 60 TS% for his career. Does anyone really expect Hayward to become Ginobili like the OP and Thee Jazz Trolololol and you?

These decisions are nuts. I think Hay could land 44 mil over 4 years, but, **** man, is 4 mil enough to sweat it over injury when you could be sitting on 40?

Big deals take big cajones.

Please define "normal", as we are not much interested in an average third to fourth option being paid the max.

BTW, Ginobili averaged over 5 ast per 36 over his career playing alongside a legitimate MVP and one of the most underrated players of all time, all to go with a damn near 60 TS% for his career. Does anyone really expect Hayward to become Ginobili like the OP and Thee Jazz Trolololol and you?

He is well over 5 assists per36 this preseason and is 3 years younger than Manu was before he even entered the league. He is doing it playing with some very raw big men and little outside shooting to boot. Give him Rush as a corner threat and I think he can do 5 in his sleep along with 16-17 points a game. Agreed he never gets to 60% TS, but that's still one helluva player.

Please quote where I stated he deserved the max also.

Look at the contending teams. Miami 1st james, 2nd wade; third jar jar binks; fourth option Ray Allen. I'd say Hayward is a little better than Ray.

San Antonio 1st Parker; 2nd Duncan; Third Manny. I'd say Hayward is about as good as Manny.

Chicago 1st Rose; 2nd Noah; 3rd Deng. I'd say Hayward and Deng about equal.

On a contending team, Hayward is no better than the third option.

Restricted free agency literally erases this issue from being a consideration.