What's new

HC candidates

Screenshot-20220613-185844-Chrome.jpg

I want a coach who can win us a NBA title. Go get a coach who can win us a NBA title, Ryan Smith and Danny Ainge.

Young and Jensen are both Mormon. I suppose the Jazz could also go in the direction of the BYU or UVU coach if that floats their boat. Maybe one could get DM to convert. Then it's a triple win.

We've reportedly interviewed 20 candidates. That's something that Ainge loves to do. Bring in as many top assistants as possible from teams around the league to get feedback on the roster.

Here are my thoughts that nobody cares about on coaching issues:

First, last off-season I made a thread about Quin needing an assistant he'd look up to and listen to. I like Quin and I get sentimental about things (like whenever we win it all, I'd somehow like all significant past figures of Jazz history to somehow be a part of it). I didn't know what to think about Quin when he was hired because he was a complete unknown. I think I was wanting Messina. At the conclusion of his first year, I was feeling pretty good about him, especially as we took off defensively. He seemed to have the right intensity and could fire into his guys. I continued to like him through the end of the Hayward era and then thought it was pretty awesome what he did with the team in the first post-Hayward year. I think the FO screwed up beyond that, but the past three years Quin has messed up just as much, if not more, than the FO. They both screwed up in pretty bad ways that I hate comparing them. But I liked the basic framework of what Quin had, he just showed that he didn't understand the psychology of things. I thought it was interesting on Ainge's interview with Locke. Perhaps this is just my bias in reading it, but he continued to emphasis managing all of the non-basketball things and understanding that it's just not basketball on paper. If we could keep Quin but have the right management personality who understood the psychology and how to respond to momentum swings, that'd be ideal, because I think there's a real winning formula here. But enough about Quin.

Johnnie Bryant: One of the most talked about ones. I'd have some optimism there but also a lot of concerns. We know Bryant has been great individually. But individually and team-dynamics are much different beasts. Our problem right now is the management of overall team-dynamic. If people remember, Tyrone Corbin was known as being a really good individual guy. He was the one assigned to Memo when he was up-and-coming and this was what brought enthusiasm to the idea of him being a head coach. But he just wasn't up to that task. My concern with Bryant is what that means with the buddy-buddy with Mitchell. Does that work in the favor of getting buy-in from Donovan or does it further more unspoken Rudy/Donovan rift? He's been under Quin and even before Donovan, so perhaps he has certain beliefs where he wants to carry on the good parts of what Quin was doing.

Alex Jensen: Like Bryant above, has been under Quin for some time, even predating DM, so may be able to preserve the good things Quin brought. What's Jensen's personality with the team dynamic? Would have to be acknowledged that Jensen was the one working one-on-one with Rudy, at least in the past. I feel like this choice would have less potential for further rift, but that's just a guess. I'd feel comfortable if this is who we chose but I'm short on specifics other than he seems like a competent guy and my guess is that he could probably more confidently command the locker room than Quin.

Adrian Griffin: He's the one that I am the most curious about for how little I know. He's an outside voice and theoretically should be less biased. If he's a strong guy who can hold people accountable, get people to listen, and really implement his own thing, I'd be really comfortable if this was the hire they decided to go with. He's definitely been on the sidelines for a long time waiting for his turn.

Vogel: Has a reputation as a defensive coach but not sure what that is other than Indiana having good defensive teams. Not disputing it, just haven't heard any specifics to that reputation. Not sure where he is on personality and dynamic management, but he was the guy who sat Westbrook, so that's certainly a feather in his cap.

Stotts: Not sure. Would feel fine with it, but also uncertain. Wouldn't feel completely content.

Kevin Young: Still curious if it was serious that Ainge knew him from a ward they were in together. I honestly had no idea who he was before this.

So, I don't know. Maybe I'm missing some important names, but here's how I would rank these guys:

1a. Griffin.
1b. Jensen.
2. Vogel.
3. Bryant.

Won't bother ranking the other guys.

Then there's the new report of Sam Cassell. Don't know enough to have an opinion on that yet.

Jason Terry on Locke's show points to some stats on why he would be one of the best choices. I found it interesting and compelling.

Jason Terry on Locke's show points to some stats on why he would be one of the best choices. I found it interesting and compelling.
Wait, Jason Terry was actually on the show or Locke was just talking about him?

So apparently Mike D’Antoni, the man with the most experience and with the winningest record has surreptitiously dropped out of consideration. His name was listed among the candidates until the last couple of days. I know a lot of you guys see him as too old anyway but I guess I’m all about a proven winner. Can anyone confirm that D’Antoni is no longer under consideration?