What's new

Hitting the NBA Paywall: Six Intriguing Extension Candidates by Zach Lowe

The only thing I'm going to add is that Burks at $7 million per season would be an absolute heist. So I hope I'm the big dum-dum here.

Burks is top 15 in the league in FT attempts per minute, top 7 among guards in FTAs per 36, and is top 5 among guards in FTA per FGA.

Hayward in year three - 5.0 FTA per 36; Burks 6.1 FTA per 36. That's about a 20% difference - not really close. And G-time is pretty good at getting to the line - just not elite like Burks.

I'll go ahead and say we're not overrating his ability to get to the FT line.

And lets not forget that burks gets to line at a good clip despite the fact that he is a lesser known player playing on a horrible small market jazz team.
I would guess that the guys that get to the line at a better rate than burks are probably more well know players and probably play on better teams.

I think most of us know that the refs dont treat all players equal..... i doubt that alec burks would be very high on thier preferred players list, yet he still gets to the line alot.

$11mm for a guy who "could absolutely grow into a fourth or fifth starter on a good team."?

You simply do not pay that for someone that sits that far down the pecking order. But he doesn't have a crystal ball and his word isn't quite gospel.

I think he can be a legit 3rd option in a legit lineup or a 1st option on a **** lineup (like he's already done).

$11mm for a guy who "could absolutely grow into a fourth or fifth starter on a good team."? Where's the money coming from when you're paying your 4th and 5th 15% of the cap (assuming it grows to $70mm).

Miami's 4th and 5th best made $7.3mm combined last season.
San Antonio's 4th and 5th best did make $17.5mm combined, but that's only because Parker and Duncan were both severely underpaid.

a, I never said I thought he would be a "4th-5th best player on a starting team". The jury is still out on his development.

b, I never said that he is deserving of 11per. I just figured that since we overpaid for Hayward (I personally didn't think he'd be offered anything more than 12mill), we will probably have to overpay for Burks as well.

His actual value is somewhere between 8-9mill, taking his previous season into account and anticipating some improvement. At least IMO.

I would say yes to your question if not for one thing.

Hayward got injured and missed 5 games. Burks started those games and was better than when he came off the bench. Also the team had a better winning percentage during those 5 games than they did for the year.

It's not like Burks has never started before
Call me crazy, but I actually think Burks has a better starters game while Hayward is more suited coming off the bench, also in my opinion, had Burks been drafted first then Hayward second, we'd be viewing Burks as a better starter and thinking of Hayward as a natural 6th man.

Burks has never been a starter, and all he's ever known as an nba player is a backup roll so that has contributed to his style of play. If he starts all year this year, and gets a solid 32-36 minutes he'll change how we think of him.

As time goes by with Burks as a starter, his game will evolve, and his playmaking skills could blossom. I really do see that kind of player in him.

The notion Burks is some lifelong 6th man is utter crap. He has great size and athleticism for his position. We just watched the USA comfortably win the gold by shooting, for the most part, step back jumpers. Every other team had better chemistry, but it didn't matter because we were 2" longer at each position and could jump 5 inches higher than their guys. There would be an argument if Burks couldn't hit a three or pass the ball, but 35% is quite respectable as is 3.4 assists, both above league average for SGs.

The notion Burks is some lifelong 6th man is utter crap. He has great size and athleticism for his position. We just watched the USA comfortably win the gold by shooting, for the most part, step back jumpers. Every other team had better chemistry, but it didn't matter because we were 2" longer at each position and could jump 5 inches higher than their guys. There would be an argument if Burks couldn't hit a three or pass the ball, but 35% is quite respectable as is 3.4 assists, both above league average for SGs.

And this is why he'll get paid in RFA if we let it get to that.

You simply do not pay that for someone that sits that far down the pecking order. But he doesn't have a crystal ball and his word isn't quite gospel.

I think he can be a legit 3rd option in a legit lineup or a 1st option on a **** lineup (like he's already done).

If he can be a legit and consistent third option, inside a good offense, then let him prove it and pay him the money. There's no way in hell I'd extend him at the upper range given here -- the only corner in the world that views Burks as worth more than maybe $8-9mm (not even SB nation voters thought that).

So far he's shown the offense cannot go through him and he requires someone to create for him. I see third options more like Barbosa, Ginobili, Kevin Martin, etc. Someone who can create with all the pressure and focus still on them. Is Burks that guy? Will he become that guy?

BTW, I'm predicting his 3pt% and improved defense this season earns him an extra million or two. He's not the 36% 3 point shooter his stat says he is, but can he do better in a more airy system?

If he can be a legit and consistent third option, inside a good offense, then let him prove it and pay him the money. There's no way in hell I'd extend him at the upper range given here -- the only corner in the world that views Burks as worth more than maybe $8-9mm (not even SB nation voters thought that).

So far he's shown the offense cannot go through him and he requires someone to create for him. I see third options more like Barbosa, Ginobili, Kevin Martin, etc. Someone who can create with all the pressure and focus still on them. Is Burks that guy? Will he become that guy?

BTW, I'm predicting his 3pt% and improved defense this season earns him an extra million or two. He's not the 36% 3 point shooter his stat says he is, but can he do better in a more airy system?

I think he shot %42 on spot-up 3s and that's a very good number. I would rather he improve his mid-range game, shooting, drive and kick, get a floater, and use the goddamn pick. He rejects the pick all the time and he scores better in iso situations than pick and rolls.

I would give him 10 max but I am somewhat generous(I am not the one paying anyway). I would have given Hay 13-14 max.

Last edited:
Also, I kind of wanted to get into how Corbin's **** system actually played up to Burks' strengths very well, but I'm afraid it would get trolled to death and this forum doesn't seem to care much about basketball intricacies.

For those who are interested, basically the side to side perimeter swings, pnr then pass and pnr again, drive and dish motion O did a whole lot for Alec's game as it gave him a lot of looks driving into lanes where defenders were turning around to adjust and also crowded on the opposite perimeter. For all the hate Ty got over his "misuse" of Burks there should be a lot of admiration. I doubt he would have prospered the same way in a much better, more complex system.

7 million for Burks would be dreamy. I'd probably even pay 9m. Probably.

But yeah, I like Burks. ¯\_;)_/¯. What can I say. I think there is something compelling about conviction. This is my understanding of faith I suppose.

I've held some low opinions of Burks. I'd be loathe to feel those after what I'm feeling now. Might break muh heart.

The cool thing is everyone can be right. There's a value in trying to think diplomatically, at the absolute minimum. That is one of the true pillars of a functional democracy; really trying to make things better with a little respect.

Is good.

I've held some low opinions of Burks. I'd be loathe to feel those after what I'm feeling now. Might break muh heart.

Man I remember after a game early last season just feeling like he was done. Looked absolutely awful.

I very much enjoyed his turnaround last year, because I thought he might be out of the league.

Man I remember after a game early last season just feeling like he was done. Looked absolutely awful.

I very much enjoyed his turnaround last year, because I thought he might be out of the league.

Yep.