What's new

Hitting the NBA Paywall: Six Intriguing Extension Candidates by Zach Lowe

Burks went to the foul line only slightly more in his 3rd year than Hayward.

They both played around the same # of minutes and took exactly the same amount of shots per game.

I think we overrate Burks ability to get to the ft line around here.

Burks went to the foul line only slightly more in his 3rd year than Hayward.

They both played around the same # of minutes and took exactly the same amount of shots per game.

I think we overrate Burks ability to get to the ft line around here.

Burks is top 15 in the league in FT attempts per minute, top 7 among guards in FTAs per 36, and is top 5 among guards in FTA per FGA.

Hayward in year three - 5.0 FTA per 36; Burks 6.1 FTA per 36. That's about a 20% difference - not really close. And G-time is pretty good at getting to the line - just not elite like Burks.

I'll go ahead and say we're not overrating his ability to get to the FT line.

So does Hayward start this year? Locke was talking about our starting lineup vs other teams in a recent podcast, and basically said he thought Burks was the starting 2.

Is our lineup is Burke, Burks, Hayward, Kanter, Favors? I think we probably trot out these guys and eventually replace Burke or Burks with Exum, and Kanter with Marvin Williams clone. I just don't see Kanter staying on this team long term. I also think that whichever one of Burke or Burks is less awesome will be traded.

This is backwards thinking. For instance, if Hayward was seen as the 6th man, then he would have been coming off the bench last year and Burks would have been starting. Burks was seen as the 6th man, so he played the role.

This is true....... only if corbin saw it that way. Corbin being the genius coach that he is, im sure he got it right.

So does Hayward start this year? Locke was talking about our starting lineup vs other teams in a recent podcast, and basically said he thought Burks was the starting 2.

Burks is the starting 2, Hayward starts at the 3. I guess they could switch depending on the match-ups.

Hood/Exum off the bench - Evans will play some 3.

Let the fun begin.

Well, I'm going to have to side with Zach Lowe and most NBA Executives on this one.

The good thing is that my opinion, your opinion, zach lowes opinion, and most nba execs opinions do not matter.

Only one opinion matters and that is the Utah Jazz coach Quin Snyders opinion......... all indications are that he will start Alec Burks and will even be moving our max money guy from his main position into one that he played less often.
So thats pretty cool.

This is true....... only if corbin saw it that way. Corbin being the genius coach that he is, im sure he got it right.
Most were quite satisfied with Burks's performance last season, myself included. Could it be that part of that phenomenon can be attributed to the coaching staff identifying the proper role for him and getting him to play within his role?

Burks is top 15 in the league in FT attempts per minute, top 7 among guards in FTAs per 36, and is top 5 among guards in FTA per FGA.

Hayward in year three - 5.0 FTA per 36; Burks 6.1 FTA per 36. That's about a 20% difference - not really close. And G-time is pretty good at getting to the line - just not elite like Burks.

I also believe that Burks got a lot more and 1's then Hayward and must other players.

Most were quite satisfied with Burks's performance last season, myself included. Could it be that part of that phenomenon can be attributed to the coaching staff identifying the proper role for him and getting him to play within his role?
I would say yes to your question if not for one thing.

Hayward got injured and missed 5 games. Burks started those games and was better than when he came off the bench. Also the team had a better winning percentage during those 5 games than they did for the year.

It's not like Burks has never started before

His game is that of a 6th man. Everyone sees it. Hayward has a starter's game.

I completely disagree. Hayward has the kind of play maker ability to make him a 6th man of the year candidate but not so much that you want him to be the primary play maker for a starting unit.(Think Ginobili)

Burks can regularly get by starting 2 guards commanding attention from bigs. His skills not only force bigs to split their attention but paired with a good 3 shooting sf/pg(and shooting more of his own) he can punish defenses for coming out to help.

A big reason Hayward's 3pt % took a hit this year is because defenders don't have to give his drive a great deal of respect. They can guard him closer than many starting 2s.

Hayward isn’t great at any one thing, but he’s pretty good at most things.

Most were quite satisfied with Burks's performance last season, myself included.

I was satisfied with Burks performance as well..... but not his minutes. Coming of the bench limits his minutes unfortunately

Hayward's game is more complimentary to what other players do on the court and I think that is what is meant by him having a starter's game. He's a better passer and has been, until last year, a better spot up player.

Burks is viewed as a Jamal Crawford type... ball dominant, chucker, which is a 6th man. I think that view is completely wrong. He scores of penetration, which requires the ball, but I don't think it sticks like it does with players like Crawford, Harden, Ellis. I think he'll have a breakout year and will likely lead the team in scoring. I see no reason why he doesn't start alongside Hayward.

If we could lock him up for anywhere from 7-10 M per I'd do it in a heartbeat.

A four-year, $28 million extension might seem an overpay given Burks’s record, but it could turn into the new TV-deal version of those $4 million–level extensions teams gave Thabo Sefolosha, Quincy Pondexter, and Jared Dudley. Those deals weren’t home runs, but they provided good value at most times, and can return actual assets in trades.

This is the exact reason I've used to justify paying Burks way more than his current league-wide value. $7mm is quite a bit of a stretch but it won't be that much in years 3 and 4 of the contract.

Ummm.

I absolutely WISH Burks would hit Ellis-level play. Did anyone not watch the first round between Dallas and the Spurs last season? Go read SpursTalk if you need a refresher.

Ellis completely clobbered San Antonio, all series long. He was nearly unstoppable.

If Dirk could have put together a string of decent games, Dallas would have moved onto the 2nd round.

Back on topic: Burks for 7per would be a heist. He'll fetch more-- not as much as Hayward, but he'll probably get somewhere between 8-11per, barring a pretty ****ty season by him (unlikely).

I would think effort is being made to extend both Kanter and Burks at reasonable prices, but it is weird that we haven't heard anything about it, while last year Favors and Hayward deals were discussed constantly. Part of me blames our media for not asking the questions. I want to know the discussions are at least being taken seriously rather than the approach of "we'll just match them if they prove they're worth it." I think Burks is irreplaceable, and failing to sign him could be Hayward all over again. I expect a BiG season from him. I, obviously, believe in Kanter and would like to see him inked, but am honestly a little less worried about his contract unless everything comes together in an amazing way this year for him. Monroe got snubbed this summer, and next summer will have some more bigs available like Sap, etc. if Kanter has a good enough season, we should want to and be able to match him. I think it would take a night and day transformation on D, much better passing, and a very impressive perimeter jumper to make him really pricey, which in that case, we'd gladly match whatever. Trouble would be if both Alec and Enes tear it up this year, which is why I want to know more about the nature of their extension talks, or even confirmation that these talks are being had.

per 36 FT stats are rather disingenuous. IMO.

Could it be that part of that phenomenon can be attributed to the coaching staff identifying the proper role for him and getting him to play within his role?
Just one more comment on this......... I will admit that it MIGHT be best for burks to come off the bench as a 6th man. But shouldn't it be more important to look at what is best for the team?
imo a starting lineup should be well balanced and should include someone who best skill is putting points on the scoreboard.
Last season: Treys best skill? probably ball handling and clutch shots at the end of games (that we are trying to lose)
Hayward best skill? I guess passing/facilitating and suppossedly outside shooting/stretching the defense
Jefferson best skill? Vet powers. I kid. His best skill was definately outside shooting and stretching the defense
Marvin best skill? See jefferson
Favors best skill? Defense and rebounding.

Seems like that lineup is lacking something........ could use some scoring imo. Burks best skill? Getting into the paint and getting points (either finishing or getting to the line.)
Ummm.

I absolutely WISH Burks would hit Ellis-level play. Did anyone not watch the first round between Dallas and the Spurs last season? Go read SpursTalk if you need a refresher.

Ellis completely clobbered San Antonio, all series long. He was nearly unstoppable.

If Dirk could have put together a string of decent games, Dallas would have moved onto the 2nd round.

Back on topic: Burks for 7per would be a heist. He'll fetch more-- not as much as Hayward, but he'll probably get somewhere between 8-11per, barring a pretty ****ty season by him (unlikely).

Solid, per usual

Ummm.

$11mm for a guy who "could absolutely grow into a fourth or fifth starter on a good team."? Where's the money coming from when you're paying your 4th and 5th 15% of the cap (assuming it grows to $70mm).

Miami's 4th and 5th best made $7.3mm combined last season.
San Antonio's 4th and 5th best did make $17.5mm combined, but that's only because Parker and Duncan were both severely underpaid.

$11mm for a guy who "could absolutely grow into a fourth or fifth starter on a good team."? Where's the money coming from when you're paying your 4th and 5th 15% of the cap (assuming it grows to $70mm).

Miami's 4th and 5th best made $7.3mm combined last season.
San Antonio's 4th and 5th best did make $17.5mm combined, but that's only because Parker and Duncan were both severely underpaid.

maybe hayward will pitch in.

It sucks having your highest paid player not be a star player. If you have a lebron, wade, bosh on your team then you dont need to pay much to your 4th/5th guys.

When hayward is your highest paid guy then you better be spending alot on those 4th/5th starters or else you are gonna suck.

maybe hayward will pitch in.

It sucks having your highest paid player not be a star player. If you have a lebron, wade, bosh on your team then you dont need to pay much to your 4th/5th guys.

When hayward is your highest paid guy then you better be spending alot on those 4th/5th starters or else you are gonna suck.

Hayward's getting flipped bro. Mark it.