What's new

Hitting the NBA Paywall: Six Intriguing Extension Candidates by Zach Lowe

Primetime

One of the hardest things to do in the NBA is drive to the basket at the kind of calm pace that allows a player to keep all of his options open. A lot of ball handlers turn the corner on a pick-and-roll, stop at the foul line area, and throw a perfectly nice pass to a teammate on the perimeter.

Once that same player gets inside the foul line, he picks up speed and drives into a thicket of bodies with an intent to get to the rim. If those bodies terminate that plan, well, there is no plan B.

Burks is an explosive, ultra-fast athlete, and he made himself more unpredictable off the bounce. He mixed up his use of screens and added some Eurosteppy finishes:

iboljset6WG13w.gif

ibk4edKgX89mzI.gif

He’s an effective passer on the perimeter, but that hasn’t translated into a drive-and-kick game. Burks also doesn’t shoot enough 3s, especially since he’s nearly a league-average 3-point shooter who looks comfortable from the corners.

Again: The context was not ideal. Burks came off the bench for a bad team, facing clogged lanes and playing with point guards who couldn’t bend opposing defenses.

Burks is a so-so defender but not a damaging vortex of suck. He has happy feet and can juke himself out of plays, and he’ll make the occasional failed gamble that is fatal to any team defense. He’s prone to some wild and often unnecessary rotations that leave good shooters wide open, though the Jazz defense overall was a mess under Ty Corbin. Burks isn’t big enough to defend bulky small forwards, and bruising 2-guards like Wesley Matthews hurt him on the block.

Executives view Burks as a sixth man, the customary pigeonholing for any combo guard, and compare him often to Monta Ellis. But Ellis is on another planet as a drive-and-dish force, and Burks could absolutely grow into a fourth or fifth starter on a good team. He’s a worker, and he’s exactly the kind of secondary ball handler every team needs now.

He hasn’t shown that kind of “starter on a good team” ability yet, and it’s unclear how much the Jazz should pay to find out if he might someday show it. Burks isn’t great at any one thing, and he’s mediocre at most things. But he’ll get minutes this season and draw interest in a league drooling over any available young wing player.

A four-year, $28 million extension might seem an overpay given Burks’s record, but it could turn into the new TV-deal version of those $4 million–level extensions teams gave Thabo Sefolosha, Quincy Pondexter, and Jared Dudley. Those deals weren’t home runs, but they provided good value at most times, and can return actual assets in trades.

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-extensions-2014-tristan-thompson-markieff-morris-brandon-knight-alec-burks-jimmy-butler-nikola-vucevic/

We talked about Alec's extension a lot but it is nice to see Alec getting some recognition from Mr. Lowe. I wouldn't mind 'A four-year, $28 million extension' at all but that ain't gonna happen especially in a market where Jodie Meeks is getting $6 million a year. But it would be a dream scenario and could/should mean that we'll have no problems keeping all our core players for 3 more years. That would buy us some time and we could really see what we have in our players because I doubt we will get all the answers to our questions this season.

Appreciated just for the intelligent review of Burks. Pretty much everything I've been saying, Lowe said.

Burks is going to have a solid year - 32mpg 17/4/4 45%/36%.

If Lowe thinks that will fetch 7per in the open market then all I can say is I hope he's right.

And the sixth man stuff is yesterday's news. Game 1 Burks is starting.

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-extensions-2014-tristan-thompson-markieff-morris-brandon-knight-alec-burks-jimmy-butler-nikola-vucevic/

We talked about Alec's extension a lot but it is nice to see Alec getting some recognition from Mr. Lowe. I wouldn't mind 'A four-year, $28 million extension' at all but that ain't gonna happen especially in a market where Jodie Meeks is getting $6 million a year. But it would be a dream scenario and could/should mean that we'll have no problems keeping all our core players for 3 more years. That would buy us some time and we could really see what we have in our players because I doubt we will get all the answers to our questions this season.

It's not accurate that he's not great at any one thing. He is great at getting to the FT line.

7 million per year would be awesome!

Lol at him being compared to the likes of jared dudley, and quincy pondexter.

I agree with the Monta Ellis comps on offense, but I don't agree with Lowe that Ellis is much of a drive-and-kick player, or much of a passer at all for that matter. Whereas, Burks is a good passer and can facilitate the pick-and-roll almost as well as any 2-guard in the league.

Also, what's the story on Kanter? It seems like if he has the kind of season he's capable of, he'll be commanding $10M in his own right.

It's bad that I'm more intrigued by Burks and Kanter, Than I am with hayward and favors... Our guys just need to prove themselves and I hope we didn't over pay the wrong ones.

Pretty much everything I've been saying

Its interesting that all throughout the season you made alot of comments about how burks cant do what he does against the better interior defenders........ yet the two videos used in this thread have burks going against, and schooling, roy hibbert and tyson chandler.

I agree with the Monta Ellis comps on offense, but I don't agree with Lowe that Ellis is much of a drive-and-kick player, or much of a passer at all for that matter. Whereas, Burks is a good passer and can facilitate the pick-and-roll almost as well as any 2-guard in the league.

You should take a closer look at Monta. Last 5 years, hasn't had less than 5.3 Assists per game. 6 were maximum.

12th in overall assists and 19th in the /game category.

Assist Percentages are between 21 and 29 in the last 5 years.

He's not the most efficient due to his finishing, his passing actually brings value.

Ellis's problem is that he was really good before his injury. After that he couldn't get his work done around the basket any longer. All the above the rim plays turned into below the rim creativity angle dependent plays and he isn't exactly good at it. Add to that that his long range shooting is shaky at best and you see why finishing is a problem for him. Passing isn't.

Huh. So NBA execs see him as a sixth man...interesting.
Not interesting if you consider that he has only been a 6th man so far.

If Hayward was the one coming off the bench last year and Burks was the starter then I guarantee that Hayward would be seen as a 6th man.

Ellis is the superior playmaker by a significant margin.

Not interesting if you consider that he has only been a 6th man so far.

If Hayward was the one coming off the bench last year and Burks was the starter then I guarantee that Hayward would be seen as a 6th man.

His game is that of a 6th man. Everyone sees it. Hayward has a starter's game.

His game is that of a 6th man. Everyone sees it. Hayward has a starter's game.
Yup.
Unless corbin chose to start Burks and bring Hayward off the bench.
Then Burks would have a starters game and Hayward would be looking like a nice 6th man (as was the case in Haywards first couple years when he was playing as a 6th man).

Hayward liked a nice 6th man..... right up until the point when he became a regular starter.

Yup.
Unless corbin chose to start Burks and bring Hayward off the bench.
Then Burks would have a starters game and Hayward would be looking like a nice 6th man (as was the case in Haywards first couple years when he was playing as a 6th man).

Hayward liked a nice 6th man..... right up until the point when he became a regular starter.

Well, I'm going to have to side with Zach Lowe and most NBA Executives on this one.

This is backwards thinking. For instance, if Hayward was seen as the 6th man, then he would have been coming off the bench last year and Burks would have been starting. Burks was seen as the 6th man, so he played the role.

Lowe is dead-on about a lot of his micro-analysis, but he's ****ing high about the big picture:
-Burks is getting more than $7 million a season.
-Burks is not a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none player. He goes at and gets to the rim like a crazy person.

Well, I'm going to have to side with Zach Lowe and most NBA Executives on this one.

Like the NBA executives that gave a player that's not top-30 (maybe not even top-60) a max contract?