What's new

HIV Virus Used To Cure Cancer

Its like shooting yourself in the head with a gun to cure your headache.

Awesome story, happy the little girl survived.

I saw this a couple years ago when it was still in clinical trials. The said thing is even with positive results with a small group (5 people in trial, one terminal--after treatment all got better with only one of the participants with any remaining cancer but that participant had a 90% reduction) they were having a hard time getting funding. Looks like they finally got permission to move forward with it.

Pretty cool.

Wow. I have a cousin that had years of chemo for leukemia. This would be so much easier.

Don't feel like reading. Do they then have HIV...and later, potentially, AIDS?

In a nutshell the HIV virus is deactivated making it benign but the body recognizes it as needing to be killed off and kicks the immune system into overdrive killing off the cancer instead.

Wow. Amazing! But, and not to sound like Silencer here, it'll be ashame once the Feds/FDA/Big Pharma intervene. No way this ever becomes the "cure" for cancer.

Wow. Amazing! But, and not to sound like Silencer here, it'll be ashame once the Feds/FDA/Big Pharma intervene. No way this ever becomes the "cure" for cancer.

So far it is only being used for leukemia. Cost of treatment is about $20k so it's mot like it's dirt cheap.

Even with the HIV being "deactivated", it takes some serious stones to allow someone to inject that into your body. I'm not sure how much I would trust that.

Even with the HIV being "deactivated", it takes some serious stones to allow someone to inject that into your body. I'm not sure how much I would trust that.

True but her case it seemed like all the other options had failed. If my back is against the wall and I know I am going down for the count I say F it. Lets do all the experimental weird stuff. Maybe they will learn something that will save someone else down the line.

Don't feel like reading. Do they then have HIV...and later, potentially, AIDS?

They are using a version of the virus that has been modified, so it will not give them AIDS.

However, they might wind up HIV+. I'm not sure about that.

AS Orac is fond of saying, what we group together as "cancer" is really over 100 difference diseases. No one thing will cure more than a small fraction of them.

True but her case it seemed like all the other options had failed. If my back is against the wall and I know I am going down for the count I say F it. Lets do all the experimental weird stuff. Maybe they will learn something that will save someone else down the line.

True dat. I guess if you're already deemed "terminal" anyway, why the hell not I guess.