What's new

Hmmmm you don’t say?

I don’t even know what the hell this is supposed to mean.

Jazz players have been saying we know what we gotta do for a while
So get doing it already :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Again to me the defensive lapses speak largely to coaching. What exactly does Quin want them to do? Does he even know? Do they drill switches, communication, staying on your man, active hands, moving your feet, showing on a screen, any of this? From watching the past few games especially it feels like Quin is more about just letting them do what they do. What is he just saying "ok on defense just do your best, we won't worry about that. But on offense let's go over this thing again..."? At some point if my team isn't performing then I as the manager am responsible for their poor performance. Either I don't have a good plan, i haven't communicated the plan effectively, i haven't given them the tools they need, or I haven't held people accountable to perform. On which of these is Quin falling short? All of them? Mostly the last one? At some point he's accountable right?

Jazz players have been saying we know what we gotta do for a while
So get doing it already :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Yeah, I'm tired of hearing them say what they need to do. It's time for them to go out there and actually do it.

Yeah, I'm tired of hearing them say what they need to do. It's time for them to go out there and actually do it.
I think they don't know how. I don't think the coaching staff has a coherent game plan for defense the way they do for offense. They might know what they need to do, but to me it looks like they really don't know how to do it. That's on the coaches.

He’s such a little bitch lol. He wants to be passive aggressive but never direct.

Also evaded answering this question with a legitimate answer as well:

Maybe just stop being a lying sack of ****. Damian Lillard answer here would have been “it’s not true”. Simple answer to give Donovan you fake ***, baby.

He’s such a little bitch lol. He wants to be passive aggressive but never direct.

Also evaded answering this question with a legitimate answer as well:

Maybe just stop being a lying sack of ****. Damian Lillard answer here would have been “it’s not true”. Simple answer to give Donovan you fake ***, baby.

He's kind of a diva.

I think they don't know how. I don't think the coaching staff has a coherent game plan for defense the way they do for offense. They might know what they need to do, but to me it looks like they really don't know how to do it. That's on the coaches.

I don't know, I tend to think it's just the opposite. I think the coaches are telling and showing them what to do defensively but they just won't do it. It seems to me that Don, JC and Bogey are too concentrated on getting their points and don't put in enough effort on the defensive end. When we had Gobert, Rubio, Favors, Crowder and Ingles in his prime, we had the best defense in the league. That tells me that Quin can teach defense. We just have too many players now that either aren't capable or aren't willing to defend.

Again to me the defensive lapses speak largely to coaching. What exactly does Quin want them to do? Does he even know? Do they drill switches, communication, staying on your man, active hands, moving your feet, showing on a screen, any of this? From watching the past few games especially it feels like Quin is more about just letting them do what they do. What is he just saying "ok on defense just do your best, we won't worry about that. But on offense let's go over this thing again..."? At some point if my team isn't performing then I as the manager am responsible for their poor performance. Either I don't have a good plan, i haven't communicated the plan effectively, i haven't given them the tools they need, or I haven't held people accountable to perform. On which of these is Quin falling short? All of them? Mostly the last one? At some point he's accountable right?
This is where the common trope is to blame personnel, which is essentially a way of saying “it is what it is and it’s not changing.” I reject this notion, however. We can go from 5th percentile to 35-40th percentile without a personnel change, and that would be huge.

I don't know, I tend to think it's just the opposite. I think the coaches are telling and showing them what to do defensively but they just won't do it. It seems to me that Don, JC and Bogey are too concentrated on getting their points and don't put in enough effort on the defensive end. When we had Gobert, Rubio, Favors, Crowder and Ingles in his prime, we had the best defense in the league. That tells me that Quin can teach defense. We just have too many players now that either aren't capable or aren't willing to defend.
By what mechanism are they holding anyone accountable? We can say they’re telling them the right things but ultimately it’s not getting through, and that’s on them. It’s not to say they should be Jerry but he would leverage playing time. Quin doesn’t do that except with young guys. Guys will always get their minutes and their touches. He doesn’t want to risk throwing off what’s right by using it as leverage to shape behavior.

I don't know, I tend to think it's just the opposite. I think the coaches are telling and showing them what to do defensively but they just won't do it. It seems to me that Don, JC and Bogey are too concentrated on getting their points and don't put in enough effort on the defensive end. When we had Rubio, Favors, Crowder and Ingles in his prime, we had the best defense in the league. That tells me that Quin can teach defense. We just have too many players now that either aren't capable or aren't willing to defend.
That actually tells me the opposite. Rubio Favors and Crowder, and Ingles, are known to be good defensive players. Mitchell Bogey and Clarkson are known to be poor defenders. With the good defenders, we had good defense. With the poor defenders we have poor defense. Sounds to me like a coaching staff just coasting on whatever the players naturally want to do. If they truly can teach defense and have good schemes why are Mitchell Clarkson and Bogey actually regressing instead of even improving slightly? Phoenix has shown with Booker that you can get players to play better defense. He was garbage as a defender, this season, and last season, he was solid. That is partly the team buying in, but a good chunk of these is what the coaching staff is teaching and showing they expect it to happen. If Mitchell got benched a few times for missing obvious defensive assignments would that send a message? But the coaching staff doesn't seem too concerned about defense anyway. It starts there tbh.

Anybody feel like Quin has the personality and skills to manage a situation like this? I don't. I've felt like it never went away. Winning disguises a lot of this ****. Losing brings it to the surface. If we start winning and have a modest playoff performance, it won't get much attention. If we become an average winning team, it is going to get ugly quick.