What's new

Home security system

They need to be connected to your Wi-Fi. You can access your clips remotely from your phone or tablet. If your power goes out, since the cameras are battery powered, they will still continue to record. Once the power comes back on, all the clips will be there ready to be viewed.

Yeah so pretty much everything I’ve read about cameras is WiFi issues…like they need to be within 25 feet of the router or they seem to suck. I’m making up a distance because I don’t recall exactly but that seemed to be the main issue.
And some of them have a base station that holds a microSD card. The Blink from amazon do this, they have a "hub" the cameras connect to through wifi that stores video clips on a microSD card. And you can get them over the app through wifi as well. That is one reason I am leaning that way for mine. Ease of access for the clips.

Yeah but if the WiFi loses connection then nothing is recorded, right?

That’s been my issue. I feel like home security could improve a ton over the next decade. I want like 6-8 cameras, some of them about 40 feet from my house or what would be 65 feet away from the router…I’ve found nothing that could fulfill what I need. It’s either wired or wireless that must be close.

Yeah so pretty much everything I’ve read about cameras is WiFi issues…like they need to be within 25 feet of the router or they seem to suck. I’m making up a distance because I don’t recall exactly but that seemed to be the main issue.

Yeah but if the WiFi loses connection then nothing is recorded, right?

That’s been my issue. I feel like home security could improve a ton over the next decade. I want like 6-8 cameras, some of them about 40 feet from my house or what would be 65 feet away from the router…I’ve found nothing that could fulfill what I need. It’s either wired or wireless that must be close.
Then you want cameras that have the SD card in the camera housing itself. That way it still records, and you can retrieve the card as a worst case scenario, and you can get them solar or battery powered too. I have considered that, but considering for me it is more about catching pesky things in the act more than actual "security" I am not that worried about it. I do like the solar idea though, and I do want a floodlight camera for a couple of places. But by and large our house and neighborhood and pretty safe. Porch pirates are about the worst thing we have seen in 6 years, that and a neighbor I can't trust.

Then you want cameras that have the SD card in the camera housing itself. That way it still records, and you can retrieve the card as a worst case scenario, and you can get them solar or battery powered too. I have considered that, but considering for me it is more about catching pesky things in the act more than actual "security" I am not that worried about it. I do like the solar idea though, and I do want a floodlight camera for a couple of places. But by and large our house and neighborhood and pretty safe. Porch pirates are about the worst thing we have seen in 6 years, that and a neighbor I can't trust.

Same here. I don’t need the security. I just want the ones to record **** into a SIM card or whatever that I can pull out and review…I borrowed my stepdads hunting ones for a bit. Strapped them around trees in my yard and pointed them in the directions I wanted. Just seemed silly and like someone could just easily steal them if they wanted. And also weren’t hidden and looked a little silly though camouflaged.