What's new

Houston..

Seeing the massive public and private reaction to this storm has been good to see. The "Cajun navy", National Guard, state authorities, religious denominations, private business owners, professional athletes, movie stars... all of this is putting a lot of people, boats and supplies on the ground to help these people out.

Good to see.

i hope the government gives those people tax breaks!

after all they used their private property(boats and trucks) to do the "governments job"

more people would have boats and cars if less taxes where stolen by the government!

taxation is theft

i hope the government gives those people tax breaks!

after all they used their private property(boats and trucks) to do the "governments job"

more people would have boats and cars if less taxes where stolen by the government!

taxation is theft

At least you're good for a laugh sometimes

Seen some stuff on Liveleak of people looting, i hope its not true but if it is the National Guard should shoot em on sight.

Seen some stuff on Liveleak of people looting, i hope its not true but if it is the National Guard should shoot em on sight.

What's the difference between looters, the confederacy, and big business?

Looters and the confederacy try to walk away. Big Business just convinces you there's nothing wrong.

What's the difference between looters, the confederacy, and big business?

Looters and the confederacy try to walk away. Big Business just convinces you there's nothing wrong.

For one instead of helping others they're stealing what might be the few remaining possessions of others, they are also exposing themselves to situations where others may have to risk their lives to save them from their greed and stupidity further depleting services available to help others not doing the wrong thing. I'm pretty sure looting was a capital crime in the UK during the blitz and rightly so.

I remember being disgusted by some of the images i saw round the time of Katrina. I glad that with all the bush fires, floods and natural disasters we have in this country i've never seen or heard of my fellow citizens looting, its normally something that unites the community. That said some smack head stole the collection jar at the pub i used to work at for the Black Saturday fires, he copped his right whack.

i'm guessing you are gullible.

and all you need as a argument is "SCIENCE".

do you even know what science is

LOL. I am a university professor with a PhD in physics. I do scientific research nearly every day. So yes, I know what science is, and how it works. Do you? For example, about what fraction of scientists in the field would you say accepted the evidence for the 1970's ice age hypothesis? How strong was that evidence? And about what fraction of scientists in the field accept the evidence for the current global warming hypothesis? And how strong is the evidence for that?

For one instead of helping others they're stealing what might be the few remaining possessions of others, they are also exposing themselves to situations where others may have to risk their lives to save them from their greed and stupidity further depleting services available to help others not doing the wrong thing. I'm pretty sure looting was a capital crime in the UK during the blitz and rightly so.

I remember being disgusted by some of the images i saw round the time of Katrina. I glad that with all the bush fires, floods and natural disasters we have in this country i've never seen or heard of my fellow citizens looting, its normally something that unites the community. That said some smack head stole the collection jar at the pub i used to work at for the Black Saturday fires, he copped his right whack.

My response was a case for understanding looters, and tying their behavior into every day life, and further showing a demonstrated history.

They're taking advantage of an opportunity. They're being ****ty to each other. As much as we want to believe that everybody shines in an emergency, it's just not the case. Nine times out of ten, if given the chance, people in society will put their wants first. Big business just has a better PR rep than the the guy grabbing a TV that avoided water damage.

My response was a case for understanding looters, and tying their behavior into every day life, and further showing a demonstrated history.

They're taking advantage of an opportunity. They're being ****ty to each other. As much as we want to believe that everybody shines in an emergency, it's just not the case. Nine times out of ten, if given the chance, people in society will put their wants first. Big business just has a better PR rep than the the guy grabbing a TV that avoided water damage.

I reckon its more the other way round I reckon two in ten are that selfish the rest of the community actually does help each other. Mind you I work in a place where people actually put others first and try to help the community, so maybe my view is jaundiced.

LOL. I am a university professor with a PhD in physics. I do scientific research nearly every day. So yes, I know what science is, and how it works. Do you? For example, about what fraction of scientists in the field would you say accepted the evidence for the 1970's ice age hypothesis? How strong was that evidence? And about what fraction of scientists in the field accept the evidence for the current global warming hypothesis? And how strong is the evidence for that?

i do not doubt science!\

but i doubt the money comming from big government and the bias of the scientist!

after all, their is a weak link in science and that his human beings and greed.

only time will solve this issue, because every 10 years people will go yeah now it is settled science.

climate modeling is not settled science it is very flawed

i do not doubt science!\

but i doubt the money comming from big government and the bias of the scientist!

only time will solve this issue, because every 10 years people will go yeah now it is settled science.

after all i care about the enviroment!

but even if i accept all the MAN MADE climate change stuff. do you think we should hand over more power to the government. for example the climate accords according to man made climate proponents would have made a very very very small difference few tenths of a percentage points in degrees. is it worth giving the government more power

after all almost everything the government touches tends to get worse

I reckon its more the other way round I reckon two in ten are that selfish the rest of the community actually does help each other. Mind you I work in a place where people actually put others first and try to help the community, so maybe my view is jaundiced.

A skewed reference point could come from either side of this argument. I have simply not even been witness to more than one or two in a large group go from chump to champ when the pressure's on.

I'd like to be. But... yeah.

A skewed reference point could come from either side of this argument. I have simply not even been witness to more than one or two in a large group go from chump to champ when the pressure's on.

I'd like to be. But... yeah.

I've seen both sides of it, i've seen the spectator effect when working with situations with the public but on the other hand, at work in a controlled environment, where people are professionals it almost never happens and when someone is a spectator repeatedly they are normally moved on pretty quickly.

I think people will surprise you, there were great stories about people stepping up and helping each other here recently when some ******* drove a car at speed through a pedestrian mall in the city, 6 or 7 killed, dozens injured, countless people helped strangers, staff showed up to put in shifts in hospitals without having to be called in. It might seem the case but most people aren't wholly bad.

i do not doubt science!\

There are many direct measures of global warming that are not associated with modeling. For example, from https://skepticalscience.com/evidence-for-global-warming.htm:

1. Land surface air temperature as measured by weather stations. You know all those skeptic arguments about how the temperature record is biased by the urban heat island effect, badly-sited weather stations, dropped stations, and so on? This is the only indicator which suffers from all those problems. So if you’re arguing with somebody who tries to frame the discussion as being about land surface air temperature, just remind them about the other nine indicators.
2. Sea surface temperature. As with land temperatures, the longest record goes back to 1850 and the last decade is warmest.
3. Air temperature over the oceans.
4. Lower troposphere temperature as measured by satellites for around 50 years. By any of these measures, the 2000s was the warmest decade and each of the last three decades has been much warmer than the previous one.
5. Ocean heat content, for which records go back over half a century. More than 90% of the extra heat from global warming is going into the oceans – contributing to a rise in…
6. Sea level. Tide gauge records go back to 1870, and sea level has risen at an accelerating rate.
7. Specific humidity, which has risen in tandem with temperatures.
8. Glaciers. 2009 was the 19th consecutive year in which there was a net loss of ice from glaciers worldwide.
9. Northern Hemisphere snow cover, which has also decreased in recent decades.
10. Perhaps the most dramatic change of all has been in Arctic sea ice. Satellite measurements are available back to 1979 and reliable shipping records back to 1953. September sea ice extent has shrunk by 35% since 1979.

The modeling helps understand how much the global temperature change is a result of humans, and how it may change from here if humans change their ways. But it is by no means needed to establish without a doubt that global warming is occurring.

1) Stop allowing developers to build in a flood plain. Not only is it dangerous for the residents of the home but the impermeable surfaces in the flood plain increase the risk of flooding to surrounding communities.

2) Voluntary FEMA development easements. Congress should allocate funds for an incentive(following a flood) for people to leave a high risk flood area to rebuild on a plot with lower flood risk. If a person choses this route they may keep their flooded property but FEMA will own the development rights.