What's new

HOW Did The Utah Jazz Get Away With This...

Vando was viewed as a very good defender who can defend 1-5 coming into this year. While his offense has definitely progressed and his hustle is undeniable.. I'm not sure his defensive upside is viewed to be that high anymore. Lillard listed him with OG and Bridges as 3 guys he would like to see Blazers go for before the season began. That was the direction some thought Vando would develop towards.

Part of it imo is that he has played stretch positions all year... but I dont think Vando value has gone up this year. His contract is insanely friendly and that ofc still works for his favour.

Maybe he can still get back to a good defensive form. I'm happy if he does.
A lot has to do with playing that position. Also it doesn’t help that the team overall is garbage defensively. Let’s also not forget he’s raw still

A lot has to do with playing that position. Also it doesn’t help that the team overall is garbage defensively. Let’s also not forget he’s raw still
I agree about all of that. Still, I thought he was a better defender coming in than what he has been. I trust they will only trade him if they think his ceiling isnt high enough or if they think they can get an impact piece.

Statistically he is our worst defender, but I think those are skewed by something weird since my eyes tell me he is better than all of our starters except maybe for Lauri... who is a better paint defender and shot influencer than Vando. Vando is better 1on1 defender against wings than Lauri is and the best we got for that job. But not elite wing defender by any means.

I agree about all of that. Still, I thought he was a better defender coming in than what he has been. I trust they will only trade him if they think his ceiling isnt high enough or if they think they can get an impact piece.

Statistically he is our worst defender, but I think those are skewed by something weird since my eyes tell me he is better than all of our starters except maybe for Lauri... who is a better paint defender and shot influencer than Vando. Vando is better 1on1 defender against wings than Lauri is and the best we got for that job. But not elite wing defender by any means.
I see him being the next Ingles. I’m not comparing games obviously, just the impact they bring, being the glue that holds this team together and elevates them to greater hights. The one difference being Vando is already acclimated to go the speed of the nba game and isn’t close to hitting his prime. His defense will only get better. Truthfully, he either needs to add muscle or defend wings, but either way his defense will only improve as he ages, and we’ve already seen his offense improve.

I see him being the next Ingles. I’m not comparing games obviously, just the impact they bring, being the glue that holds this team together and elevates them to greater hights. The one difference being Vando is already acclimated to go the speed of the nba game and isn’t close to hitting his prime. His defense will only get better. Truthfully, he either needs to add muscle or defend wings, but either way his defense will only improve as he ages, and we’ve already seen his offense improve.
To trade Vando now would be a huge mistake as I see his value only increasing

To trade Vando now would be a huge mistake as I see his value only increasing
I think he is what he is at this point tbh. Versatile defender, good rebounder, good finisher with a pretty limited offensive game. I'm not sure you can expect him to grow that much offensively at this point of his career.

One of the things that makes him valuable this year is that if you trade for him you have him under team control the rest of this season and next year at like $4M, which is basically nothing. If you trade for him next year you have to extend him.

Basically it all comes down to one guy. Tim Connelly. Wasn't he the Nuggets GM that traded Donovan Mitchell and Gobert to us before becoming Minnesota GM where he gave up a ton in order to get Gobert?As a Jazz fan, I'm also a huge fan of what Tim has done for us.
Danny has regularly feasted on teams that were desperate to win now. The returns he got for Pierce/KG and Rudy are criminal.

Anyone that thinks we are somehow guaranteed to be a playoff team next year doesn't have a grasp on the western conference. The parity in the western conference is insane this year and I have a news flash for you it is going to be even harder next year. There isn't a single team that you look at and think they are likely to take a step back next year. Not one team. In fact it is the opposite for almost every team. Just look at the teams that are currently not in the playoffs.
Meh, I'm not sure how it's going to be harder next year or that you can say no one will take a step back next season. A lot of the top teams in the West are either built around old stars or don't have the cap flexibility to make major moves. I also don't think that any rookie, including Victor, really raises the ceiling of a team like the Rockets or Spurs next season.

I agree that we shouldn't just assume we will make the playoffs next season though. We really don't even know what the roster will look like and it seems like a lot of veterans will be on the move at the deadline.

In terms of our draft pick I think we'll likely trade either our pick or the Wolves pick for a 2024 1st.

I think he is what he is at this point tbh. Versatile defender, good rebounder, good finisher with a pretty limited offensive game. I'm not sure you can expect him to grow that much offensively at this point of his career.
I guess I see how much he’s improved from last year to this year. I think his defense will only get better, his offensive game is more well rounded than last. He’s shooting threes this year at one or two a game, was none existent last year. Next year the scoring may even come up and shoot even more threes and not just from the corner. He’s also turning into a clever playmaker. That aspect of his game is only going to get better. These types of players don’t usually turn into finished products over a year or two. He’s only going to get better each and every year over the next 3-5 years. I wouldn’t just throw him out so readily for 50 cents off the dollar. This would be one trade I’m sure will come back to bite the jazz where the sun don’t shine.

I guess I see how much he’s improved from last year to this year. I think his defense will only get better, his offensive game is more well rounded than last. He’s shooting threes this year at one or two a game, was none existent last year. Next year the scoring may even come up and shoot even more threes and not just from the corner. He’s also turning into a clever playmaker. That aspect of his game is only going to get better. These types of players don’t usually turn into finished products over a year or two. He’s only going to get better each and every year over the next 3-5 years. I wouldn’t just throw him out so readily for 50 cents off the dollar. This would be one trade I’m sure will come back to bite the jazz where the sun don’t shine.
Vando is taking one 3pt shot per game and hitting at 33%. It doesn't make any difference, nobody's guarding him because of that. Teams are leaving him open on purpose.

He's a bad finisher near the hoop if he doesn't have an easy dunk.

His main skill is getting his hands on 50-50 balls in chaotic situations, and while it's nice to have a dude like that available on the roster, it's nothing you pay real money for in this league.

The Vando love is one thing I really can't understand. I'm sure he's a great guy, but the quicker he's off this team, the better IMO.

Last edited:
Vando is taking one 3pt shot per game and hitting at 33%. It doesn't make any difference, nobody's guarding him because of that. Teams are leaving him open on purpose.

He's a bad finisher near the hoop if he doesn't have an easy dunk.

His main skill is getting his hands on 50-50 balls in chaotic situations, and while it's nice to have a dude like that available on the roster, it's nothing you pay real money for in this league.

The Vando love is one thing I really can't understand. I'm sure he's a great guy, but the quicker he's off this team, the better IMO.
I’m sure people said the same about Ingles his first two years here. He needs to improve his body and get stronger, he’s still young and not anywhere near his prime. You’ve gotta be smarter than this. Like I said it’s going to take a while but he’s slowly going to improve Year by year.