What's new

How Many More Games Will Favors Take Off?

GVC

Hard to win when your franchise defender takes consecutive road games off.

This is a good question, and he really did take tonight off...pathetic. However, when you've just lost 12 games in a row, it makes it tough to really give a crap about giving 110%. There are so many things on this team that would frustrate a young player, such as basically playing 4 on 5, having one of the worst shooting teams in the NBA, having a bench that is shooting 12.5% from three etc. Not that it's an excuse, but when there's no light at the end of the tunnel, sometimes it's easy to go through the motions. People forget that tanking might actually affect the people doing it. As fans we look at it like a video game and only see the outcome of another draft pick. I for one have a problem with tanking, not that I don't want a draft pick, but I hate losing, and it even begins to weigh on me, so I can only imagine the players, particularly the players who have no help at all. We'll see if the players have some mental toughness.

Favors didn't have one of his best games, but he did have 10 points, 14 rebounds, 3 blocks, and an assist despite Corbin not playing his down the stretch.

This is a good question, and he really did take tonight off...pathetic. However, when you've just lost 12 games in a row, it makes it tough to really give a crap about giving 110%. There are so many things on this team that would frustrate a young player, such as basically playing 4 on 5, having one of the worst shooting teams in the NBA, having a bench that is shooting 12.5% from three etc. Not that it's an excuse, but when there's no light at the end of the tunnel, sometimes it's easy to go through the motions. People forget that tanking might actually affect the people doing it. As fans we look at it like a video game and only see the outcome of another draft pick. I for one have a problem with tanking, not that I don't want a draft pick, but I hate losing, and it even begins to weigh on me, so I can only imagine the players, particularly the players who have no help at all. We'll see if the players have some mental toughness.
So...Favors quits after 3 regular season losses? Not a good sign. Gordo and Enes continue to battle (for the most part). Same goes for Burks and Jefferson (even if they can't hit jump shots to save their lives).

Favors didn't have one of his best games, but he did have 10 points, 14 rebounds, 3 blocks, and an assist despite Corbin not playing his down the stretch.
What percentage of the time does he seem engaged? Favors' tendency to float for long stretches, as he's done in the past, might not be a consequence of playing in a supporting role off the bench. It might just be who he is.

What percentage of the time does he seem engaged? Favors' tendency to float for long stretches, as he's done in the past, might not be a consequence of playing in a supporting role off the bench. It might just be who he is.

He does seem to be his own biggest problem. If he would just get it together and try the whole game he has the potential to dominate.

He's never looked worse than he did last night.

Why does he struggle so much with establishing deep position? I guess we should give him a PG and some shooters?

The last two big he's faced made him look like a bitch in the paint. Granted, one was Lopez who is huge. But Brandon Bass wooped his *** last night. Man up.

I think that asserting that a guy is lazy and not trying is really not fair. Do you play sports? Did you ever have a bad game even though you tried as hard as ever? Are you suggesting that in his first year starting that if Favors just is not lazy, he will put up 20 and 15 with 4 blocks? Every night? Is it really that simple to succeed in the NBA? How easy is it when you have a brain-dead coaching staff?

Last night he looked fairly p*ssed off when he came out and was walking along the sidelines. A guy who is taking a "night off" does not get p*ssed off.

It's pretty sad. We've heard ever since the Boozer days that defense is the focus.

Maybe one problem is the old system the Jazz are using with minor tweaks just isn't
working in todays game?

I'm not officially worried long term, but it's a little frustrating coming from Big Al/Sap and getting the same results.
I can understand Lopez abusing us, but the Celts bigs? Come on guys. Man up!

I think that asserting that a guy is lazy and not trying is really not fair. Do you play sports? Did you ever have a bad game even though you tried as hard as ever? Are you suggesting that in his first year starting that if Favors just is not lazy, he will put up 20 and 15 with 4 blocks? Every night? Is it really that simple to succeed in the NBA? How easy is it when you have a brain-dead coaching staff?

Last night he looked fairly p*ssed off when he came out and was walking along the sidelines. A guy who is taking a "night off" does not get p*ssed off.
Pissed off on the sidelines, not on the court. Yes, we may be penalizing a player for not being emotive, but he really doesn't seem to be competing as hard as other Jazz players. It looks like he's coasting.

Where's Favors been on weakside help when Enes/scrub PG get beat on the pick and roll? Yes, Enes has looked Boozer/Al-esque defending pick and rolls, but Favors is making very little effort to help. Right now, Enes is moving his feet a lot better to help on defense (even if he's not always going to the right spots).

It's pretty sad. We've heard ever since the Boozer days that defense is the focus.

Maybe one problem is the old system the Jazz are using with minor tweaks just isn't
working in todays game?

I'm not officially worried long term, but it's a little frustrating coming from Big Al/Sap and getting the same results.
I can understand Lopez abusing us, but the Celts bigs? Come on guys. Man up!

Agreed. I did not like seeing either one of those games happen that way, with the other team's bigs scoring at will. They made the Celts bigs look like All-Stars, all of them. I wonder if having both high-draft pick, great athlete, strong bigs playing very poor low post defense has anything to do with coaching? One wonders. And I wonder what Lindsey thinks.

Defense is a lost art in the NBA. We can't score, so we talk about defense. NBA rules don't allow you to play defense. We need someone who can score.

Fatigue is the problem. And don't give me this trash that Enes plays defense, then blame it on Favors for not helping out. Kanter looks as big as a chump on the defensive side as Favors does on the offensive. Not to mention the defensive glass. So how many nights is Kanter going to take off on the defensive glass? How many nights is Kanter going to take defense off? See we can do it with every player on this team. Favors looks exhausted PERIOD. And until these young guys get in better condition, we will see this from time to time with every single one of them. EVEN Kanter. Give these guys a chance to grow.

When Favor's confidence is low he completely deflates. Something will happen early in the game - either he'll make a dumb turnover or miss an easy make or have a bad call made against him it will build up from there. His body language the last two nights was atrocious.

Textbook lack of maturity.

He does seem to be his own biggest problem. If he would just get it together and try the whole game he has the potential to dominate.

Are we talking about javale mcgee or deandre jordan?