What's new

How much do you tip?

I have a standart tariff. 1 buck if check is lower than 15 bucks. 5 bucks if 15<x<50; 10 if 50<x<200; 20 if >200.

Damn, I took a cab from Emeryville to SFO this morning and it cost me 70 bucks, so I tipped the guy 10. I hope that was enough but it was pretty expensive in the first place.

So, what is the standard now? I know 15 years ago or so it was 15%. I'd usually tip 20% because I wanted to be a good tipper. Now it seems 20% is the standard. If I'm not leaving more than 20% am I just leaving the expected minimum? Anyone out there waiting tables right now? I'd like to know what the average tip is and when you feel like you've gotten a good tip?

I play b-ball with my pals every Thursday night - we always go out after wards to one of the local restaurant/bar (emphasis on the bar part).

I left a 93% tip.

/Thread.

So, what is the standard now? I know 15 years ago or so it was 15%. I'd usually tip 20% because I wanted to be a good tipper. Now it seems 20% is the standard. If I'm not leaving more than 20% am I just leaving the expected minimum? Anyone out there waiting tables right now? I'd like to know what the average tip is and when you feel like you've gotten a good tip?

15% is good if the person is over 60, a woman, or a minority .... 20% is standard for good service though.

Does it irk anyone else that some waiter/waitress can get like 50 bucks an hour or more by just waiting tables when their job requires the same amount of education as any minimum wage job?

Does it irk anyone else that some waiter/waitress can get like 50 bucks an hour or more by just waiting tables when their job requires the same education as a minimum wage job?

If you have an education and are not making as much as a waiter, go be a waiter. Everyone has the opportunity. My wife made $270 last night working from 4-10. I'm not complaining. She makes good money, I get a few nights to myself. Win Win Win.

Having an education and making money shouldn't have any correlation.

What you can provide people, or what you can provide the company you are working for, should equate to how much money you make.

Sometimes your education gets you in the door, but the attitude in America that just because you have a school education you deserve to make more money is ****ing retarded.

What you can provide people, or what you can provide the company you are working for, should equate to how much money you make.

Sometimes your education gets you in the door, but the attitude in America that just because you have a school education you deserve to make more money is ****ing retarded.

If you want to make a certain amount of money, get a job that pays that much money. Its really a simple equation.

If you want to make a certain amount of money, get a job that pays that much money. Its really a simple equation.

Ya, I s'pose.

Doesn't really correlate to anything I wrote tho. Unless it does. I dunno.

If ya wanna get wet, Stand outside in the rain.

Does it irk anyone else that some waiter/waitress can get like 50 bucks an hour or more by just waiting tables when their job requires the same amount of education as any minimum wage job?

Not at all, waiting is actually a pretty intense job and requires odd hours as evening time is when you'll probably work. That said, I loved being a waiter, of course, the people I worked with were awesome and I was at the age where it was okay to flirt with the hostesses and not be a creep.

I consider myself reasonably intelligent, nothing special, but at least meeting the average. I've been a waiter a few times. I was not good at it at all. Maybe had I tried harder in school...

Anyway, one of my favorite past times is to go out to eat good food. I eat out frequently and visit a handful of restaurants often. Good service matters to me. I don't care what sort of education the person has I'm looking for good service. When I leave a good tip for good service I don't do it begrudgingly, I'm more than happy to pay for the service I receive. If you want Carl's Jr. quality service in a nice restaurant then let's do away with tipping and the change will happen quickly. Some people ahve what it takes to be good servers and some don't, add the tipping system and you've now added the critical component of motivation to provide good service. It's a system I'm happy for.

Waiters/Waitresses work hard but there are also plenty of jobs that work pretty hard as well. I welcome good service at a restaurant as well but I thought the reason we pay 6 bucks for a beer (halal beer of course) or 20 bucks for a meal was for the service as well. Tips used to be just extra. I just find it unfair that a waiter makes the same paycheck that someone scrubbing toilets makes in a week when they work just a night.

Is it okay to leave a smaller tip in cash (doesn't automatically get reported to the IRS) than I would if I put it on a card? My thinking is that the server is downright stupid to report their cash tips to Uncle Sam, so they actually get more of a tip if I do it in cash.

Who hacked ugli's account? That was WAY too intelligent to be the real deal.

Waiters/Waitresses work hard but there are also plenty of jobs that work pretty hard as well. I welcome good service at a restaurant as well but I thought the reason we pay 6 bucks for a beer (halal beer of course) or 20 bucks for a meal was for the service as well. Tips used to be just extra. I just find it unfair that a waiter makes the same paycheck that someone scrubbing toilets makes in a week when they work just a night.

That person scrubbing toilets should become a waiter. Problem solved.