What's new

How much do you tip?

Its pretty simple. Make yummy food in a good location.

I've heard that the restaurants are the most commonly failed business out there. But that was a while ago. Now with the majority being franchises, it might be a little different.

What is the reason, that restaurant workers in Europe, Japan, China, Vietnam and Hong Kong survive without tips, but in the US they don't.
I have not had a chance to visit USA, but it seems that prices are similar both in Japan (at least in Osaka and Nagoya) and USA.

Not to be offensive but according to the David Adjey TV series - it seems that almost no skills are needed when restaurant in either US or Canada hires its people.... When the simple main dish is about 30 USD and bottle of a simple wine also 20 USD, then you should be able to pay little bit more than 2 or 3 USD per hour.

Thanks for answering my question, everyone.

Depends. I like my delivery guys smelling like the food they are carrying. If I can't smell the food 10 seconds before they hit my doorbell, no tip. I think Pizza stink and Chinese food fumes seep into delivery drivers cars forever. I think I also remember you saying you were a sandwich guy.... Does your car have a perma-sandwhich stench embedded in it? If so, that deserves a premium.

I tipped our taxi driver 25% yesterday because he had some major road rage and it scared me.

NYC is the best place in the world hands down to get nickled and dimed out of your ***. Maybe you aren't feeling the brunt of it because you're staying a hostel and not using a car to get around, but damn, they'll tack on so many arbitrary fees to everything you use/don't use. You're like paying $20/night because they have a fire escape. 40 bucks/night for the parking stalls that you don't use. You have to consider them "tips" in defense of staying sane.

Last edited:
NYC is the best place in the world hands down to get nickled and dimed out of your ***. Maybe you aren't feeling the brunt of it because you're staying a hostel and not using a car to get around, but damn, they'll tack on so many arbitrary fees to everything you use/don't use. You're like paying $20/night because they have a fire escape. 40 bucks/night for the parking stalls that you don't use. You have to consider them "tips" in defense of staying sane.

Of course. You tourists clog our museums, restaurants, parks, entertainment centers, 24 hour transportation system, hospitals (when you piss us off) and all the other stuff that makes you leave a place where we'd never go to come to a place where we live.

Naturally we're going to tax your *** to the moon.

Of course. You tourists clog our museums, restaurants, parks, entertainment centers, 24 hour transportation system, hospitals (when you piss us off) and all the other stuff that makes you leave a place where we'd never go to come to a place where we live.

What movie is this one from?

I've heard that the restaurants are the most commonly failed business out there. But that was a while ago. Now with the majority being franchises, it might be a little different.

If I was your accountant, I'd have to strongly advise you against it.

Opening a restaurant that is.

I deliver pizzas. It's a pretty fun job, but it also sucks because of all the miles I put on my car.

I usually tip 15% restaurants, and 5$ for anything delivered.

If you order from somewhere regularly, and never tip, we remember.

And I would think that human resources issues would be the biggest challenge, that is if you have a great location, good food with consistently good quality and preparation, are able to keep your prices reasonable (I could make the best food in the world, but unless I'm in NY, LA or Chicago I may not find enough people willing to pay for it), and enough financial backing to get the thing off the ground.

If your bartender is stealing from you, your head chef is running his own catering business out of your kitchen and using your inventory to boot, your wait staff is hooking up their pals with free meals and the hostess is suing you because she slipped on a recently mopped floor, it's going to be hard to stay in business no matter how good your location is or how tasty your menu is.

If I was your accountant, I'd have to strongly advise you against it.

Opening a restaurant that is.

If I hear any more **** out of you, I'm gonna bust your head...put you back in that ****in' hole...and I'm gonna stick your head in the toilet bowl and make it stay there.

If I hear any more **** out of you, I'm gonna bust your head...put you back in that ****in' hole...and I'm gonna stick your head in the toilet bowl and make it stay there.

You and that other dummy better start getting more personally involved in your work, or I'm gonna stab you through the heart with a ****ing pencil. Do you understand me?

Don't worry, we won't tax you for being a Jazz fan from afar.

delivering a couple pizzas = $5
fast food = nothing
sit down (very good service) = 20-30%
sit down (average service) = 15-20%
sit down (bad service) = 12-15%
bellboy= $2-3 per bag
taxi = about 15%

I did however have beyond horrific service at an Olive Garden one time though. The meal for 2 without appetizer or dessert took 3 hours from when we were seated and we never had sodas refilled even once and couldn't even get our freakin' salad/breadsticks until we had been there for over 2 hours - yes we talked to the manager too. No profanity was used, but we did express our frustrations. I left about 20 pennies in the shape of a large "F" on the edge of the table for a tip. I have never done under 12% even for bad service any other time ever and have never regretted my tip that time either. FYI, they were only moderately busy.