What's new

How Much $$$ Should Jazz Throw at Austin Reaves?

He’s getting a max. It’ll take a trade to grab him. Still think he’d be a great option for the Jazz to go after to pair with Markkanen.
But he disappears under the limelight.. I mean it wasn’t just 1 game it was the whole series he’s been the invisible man, no?

30 out of 30 teams would happily take Brown on his megamax. Two way all star… had a bad series and isn’t perfect… but has played well over 100 playoff games and is 26… Celtics won’t trade him unless he demands it.

30 out of 30 teams would happily take Brown on his megamax. Two way all star… had a bad series and isn’t perfect… but has played well over 100 playoff games and is 26… Celtics won’t trade him unless he demands it.
Maybe so but I am not convinced. In his position and role he has to be a much better ball handler to be a Max guy. Great player but not someone I want to be one of my two Max players.

16.9/4.6/4.4 from your Max player?

No thanks.
At 26. Go look at Jimmy Butler's numbers from 2021 when they were swept by Milwaukee. He was 31.

The playoffs are the smallest of samples that we make the largest jumps in conclusion about. Yes, there's a component of it being a certain intensity that's different than the regular season, but we jump to "this is player x's true character based on this tiny sample." Everyone should be well familiar with Tankathon by now. Everyone knows how it works. Everyone understands the odds but understands that each individual simulation won't exactly approximate the odds, but that the more simulations you run, the more those approximate the underlying odds. But ultimately we believe in destiny, that based on any given outcome that it was always bound to happen. This is where Quin and DL were actually right in the fact that (even though we had poor outcomes, I believe that's jaded everyone's perspective on where we were really at) we needed larger sample sizes. Where they went wrong is that they took it too far without making adjustments to clean up any of our weaknesses, or we just attributed every failure to fluke. If we look at Detroit this year, we say that having the best odds was the worst place to be, as if they were destined to get the #5 pick all along. This is similar to our playoff evaluations. The threshold you need is someone who has the right type of talent, and then what your mental toughness is can be a huge plus or minus. That's it. All the rest are outliers. Right now we're tooting Jimmy Butler's horn, but he's 33. If he was destined for this, what about 2021 playoffs? On the same end of that coin, if people want to devalue Brown because of this series, hopefully that devaluing gets us a discount.

16.9/4.6/4.4 from your Max player?

No thanks.
24.5 million is not what is generally meant by max (which is upwards of $40 million). The Early Bird max offer is a totally different scenario which is what’s being discussed here and has been for literally months.

So: 24.5 million (or twice the average salary of a player) for a productive, unselfish, wildly efficient player that usually led the team in +/- and has no glaring weaknesses? Yes, thanks.

24.5 million is not what is generally meant by max (which is upwards of $40 million). The Early Bird max offer is a totally different scenario which is what’s being discussed here and has been for literally months.

So: 24.5 million (or twice the average salary of a player) for a productive, unselfish, wildly efficient player that usually led the team in +/- and has no glaring weaknesses? Yes, thanks.
Isn’t the potential new Jalen Brown deal reported at $295 million over 5 years?

At 26. Go look at Jimmy Butler's numbers from 2021 when they were swept by Milwaukee. He was 31.

The playoffs are the smallest of samples that we make the largest jumps in conclusion about. Yes, there's a component of it being a certain intensity that's different than the regular season, but we jump to "this is player x's true character based on this tiny sample." Everyone should be well familiar with Tankathon by now. Everyone knows how it works. Everyone understands the odds but understands that each individual simulation won't exactly approximate the odds, but that the more simulations you run, the more those approximate the underlying odds. But ultimately we believe in destiny, that based on any given outcome that it was always bound to happen. This is where Quin and DL were actually right in the fact that (even though we had poor outcomes, I believe that's jaded everyone's perspective on where we were really at) we needed larger sample sizes. Where they went wrong is that they took it too far without making adjustments to clean up any of our weaknesses, or we just attributed every failure to fluke. If we look at Detroit this year, we say that having the best odds was the worst place to be, as if they were destined to get the #5 pick all along. This is similar to our playoff evaluations. The threshold you need is someone who has the right type of talent, and then what your mental toughness is can be a huge plus or minus. That's it. All the rest are outliers. Right now we're tooting Jimmy Butler's horn, but he's 33. If he was destined for this, what about 2021 playoffs? On the same end of that coin, if people want to devalue Brown because of this series, hopefully that devaluing gets us a discount.
It is small sample size I do get that. But some guys don’t do well when the competition intensified. They’re great in the regular season but aren’t so great in the playoffs.

Also with the new CBA you’re hanging your hats on your 2 best players being really great, just not sure Jalen Brown is that.

It is small sample size I do get that. But some guys don’t do well when the competition intensified. They’re great in the regular season but aren’t so great in the playoffs.

Also with the new CBA you’re hanging your hats on your 2 best players being really great, just not sure Jalen Brown is that.
He needs to improve but there is a hand injury of some sort going on. He has shot well in the playoffs before. Yesterday was ugly... but he's a two way player with some deficiencies that can be supplemented. One of their biggest issues was coaching.. the other issue last night was Tatum gets hurt then you are relying on Smart or Brown to create a lot. They went to White probably later than they should have there.

Like watch Jimmy Butler.. he will be offball and kinda lurking for so much of the game. Brown should be doing more of that and playing off guys. When he is a primary too much it may go sideways. If Boston was in the same tier as Miami at executing Brown would look a lot better. They also just missed like 10 open looks from three in the first quarter and lost all confidence.

Who was doing all this *** kissing of Jimmy Butler when he was 26? Did people view this about Butler even prior to this year? If we cut off the past couple years, what's the consensus on Butler? When he was in Chicago he was good, but not what he is now. When he was in Minnesota he was viewed as crazy. Go look at his playoff stats from before age 26.

Go ahead and look at the moment, if you want, but I also hope you capitalize on this template and get into day trading.

Who was doing all this *** kissing of Jimmy Butler when he was 26? Did people view this about Butler even prior to this year? If we cut off the past couple years, what's the consensus on Butler? When he was in Chicago he was good, but not what he is now. When he was in Minnesota he was viewed as crazy. Go look at his playoff stats from before age 26.

Go ahead and look at the moment, if you want, but I also hope you capitalize on this template and get into day trading.
You could even do some of the same things with Butler back then.

"Jimmy can't shoot the three and his act wears thin on teammates. He's not reliable scorer like Harden or Isiah Thomas... You really want to pay that guy?"

-Talking Heads... probably.

30 out of 30 teams would take Brown at 5/300M or whatever it is and figure it out later. Even if he doesn't become Jimmy he can be a #2 on a title team or a co #1 on a title team... so you don't turn your nose up at that. Title teams that get a little price sensitive normally end up regretting it. See Brunson, Jalen.

My issue is not the contract... its the enormous price you'd pay in trade to get him... to then give him the contract.

Day trading?