What's new

How Much $$$ Should Jazz Throw at Austin Reaves?

Should we do this now that we’ve drafted?

Could Reeves and Keyonte play together?

I actually think they could. Both could dribble and shoot and score. Both could take turn handling the ball.

Also now that the Lakers had drafted JHS, maybe they are preparing not to match?

I still think we should go after him.

Should we do this now that we’ve drafted?

Could Reeves and Keyonte play together?

I actually think they could. Both could dribble and shoot and score. Both could take turn handling the ball.

Also now that the Lakers had drafted JHS, maybe they are preparing not to match?

I still think we should go after him.
Reaves would open up so much in our guard rotation. Guards that can play on and off the ball, shoot, and are big enough to nominally play the 2 are really valuable. I think he would be ideal next to Keyonte (or Dejounte).

Reaves would open up so much in our guard rotation. Guards that can play on and off the ball, shoot, and are big enough to nominally play the 2 are really valuable. I think he would be ideal next to Keyonte (or Dejounte).
I think my main concern would be defensively..

Report was the Lakers will match any offer to 100mil so he's gettable. Not sure where his true value should be or what a competitive offer looks like but He would be a perfect addition to our roster. I'm sure we'll pursue him and likely make a strong offer.

Report was the Lakers will match any offer to 100mil so he's gettable. Not sure where his true value should be or what a competitive offer looks like but He would be a perfect addition to our roster. I'm sure we'll pursue him and likely make a strong offer.
No one can offer above 4 years $98 million. That's what that report means.

It remains to be seen how true it is that they will pull out all the stops.

They play different positions but how does his value compare to that which Ingles brought to us? I imagine those values are fairly comparable.

Knowing that, we signed Joe to 4/52 which kicked in in 2017 after having just turned 30 years old when the league wide cap and LT figures were 99M/119M. The cap’s increased. Reaves is a lot younger. So something like 4/70 feels about right to me on the surface but I’d probably offer 4/80. The kid doesn’t exactly have an extensive track record producing so that’s concerning to me but we are in a really good cap situation (Sexton and Clarkson will be off before we know it) and it wouldn’t crush us. Not sure I’d go higher than that. Maybe 4/84. Idk. Talking about figures in the 90’s is just crazy talk to me though. The kid’s had one good season. But then, I dig a little deeper. The cap is projected to go up from 123M to 136M. That’s a substantial jump. The LT from 150 to 165. These are huge jumps. 35-40% larger figures than when we signed Joe. I imagine that cap will go up more in subsequent years as well. So I’d offer the most we can while still allowing us to have cap space next summer to offer someone max FA money. Revised from earlier. Gun to my head, I think 4/86 wouldn’t kill us and it’s too much for the Lakers to match.

Last edited:
Lakers aren't going to let go of Reaves.

They will create a super team around JHS and AR-15 while Anthony Davis supports them.