What's new

How should the Jazz use their extra draft picks?

How should the Jazz use their excess of draft picks?

• Trade for a star

Votes: 22 44.9%
  • Move up in the draft

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Trade for rotation players

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Use them all to draft players

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
This exactly why I'm a proponent of trading up in the draft. I get that it stings to package a bunch of picks. As fans we like to believe that all those future picks will be high value and turn into great assets. But we have such an excess we actually can't roster all those picks. And the 2027 and 2029 Cavs and Wolves picks might be top 5 or top 10 so we should probably keep those. But the 2025 picks and 2027 Lakers pick should be on the table for trades. I'd like to trade up in the draft and hopefully get a young star on a rookie contract with long term control.

But it is a much higher risk than trading for an established star. The problem is I don't think the Jazz are quite ready to trade for an established star. Let's not go all in early like the Cavs and Wolves in regards to getting a star. Let's instead gamble in the draft and hopefully get the next Kawhi Leonard or Jimmy Butler and then go from there.

Also our 3 picks this year should be on the table for trades. After all everybody says there's a big drop off after the top 8. We're at 9,16, and 28. Let's make some moves and get top end talent on a rookie contract with long term control
Wouldn’t it have been easier to tank harder during the season to move up?

Trading up is not always possible. You have to find a team who wants to do that. I m not against giving up one of the picks if there is a guy the Jazz really want but if you miss then giving up the pick hurts a lot more. No on role players. I choose all the picks to be used since I was only thinking about this year and the Jazz have plenty open slots. Of course you trade if you can get a superstar but no team is going to trade a young star for picks. I am excited about the Jazz and cannot wait for the lottery order to be determined. Who knows the Jazz move up and get the star the easy way.

Yes, of course, but you are playing it wrong. And maybe it's not a fun game so that's fine.

Maybe a better way to phrase the question is what way do you hope or envision our pick stash being used?

It feels like most of the talk has been around using the picks to trade for the next available star, but maybe we are seeing that isn't the best use of those picks after all.
I think a star is third on the list for me… I think the most efficient way to use picks is to acquire youngish starters in long term deals… like Huerter, White, Jerami Grant (not a long term contract). I think you get more value that way… with stars it’s seems like you have to stack so much that it becomes a bad deal and they tend to only be available if they have 1-2 years left. I wouldn’t mind trading for a star on the cheap if they were on a one year deal… then hopefully they stick around.

I think our stars will mostly come from the draft.. so if they have a hunch I wouldn’t mind them trading up for a guy. I actually think we will pick players with those picks more than move them for stars.

It’s wise to keep the picks and not just jump at the first chance to parlay them into a player. Never underestimate how valuable these can be to us for facilitating salary dumps.

The Jazz have more draft picks than roster spots over the next 6 years. They will likely need to find a way to maximize their value in hopefully building a long term championship contender.

What do you think is the best way to use our pick stash? (Obviously we can use them in multiple ways and obviously is very dependent on circumstances, but you have to select one way you think is the most likely best use, which would you pick).

Look, if Ainge and Smith are as committed to winning a championship as they say they are (and I believe them), the job is clear:

• Get a top-5 NBA player who can create for themselves and others. That's easier said than done, but it's the best lever of raising championship odds.
    • The quickest way would be making an offer on Giannis or Luka, but it would cost a lot. I believe this is the likely plan for Ainge - he's just waiting for the opportunity..
    • Strong draft skill and luck could yield this, but it's unlikely and would require an extended rebuild.
    • You also have to decide if you think Lauri has top-5 NBA potential - I don't see that at all, but if he took a similarly-sized leap next year? Still hard to see.
  • Surround Top5, Lauri and Kessler with the best and lengthiest 3&D players you can get.
My guess: Ainge is going to bide time for a superstar to become available and go all in. In the meantime, he's going to construct the rest of the roster he could see on a championship team.

So what's your plan for the all the draft picks? How about you lay your plan out. What picks are you using to draft players what picks are you trading and for what? You want to keep this year's picks right? Through out some names of guys your taking and let's see your roster construction
Like I said, I would probably keep all picks this year. I wouldn't mind moving up a few spots using the 9 and one of our future lower value picks, but i wouldn't use 16 to move up with 9. If we stay, I would want, assuming some of these guys might drop, Ausar, Whitmore, Walker, Hendricks, Wallace, Black. For 16, I would be happy with Bufkin, Cissoko, Rupert, Hawkins, Coulibaly (if the Jazz do their homework and think he can progress). For 28, I would want to take a chance on high risk high reward guy, but I would not be mad if they trade it for a pick next year if they don't love anybody. I also wouldn't mind keeping 9 and moving up 16 with future picks to Dallas spot, Orlando spot, or anyone else close by, if the Jazz like someone a little further up. As for all of the future picks, I agree that we are not going to use them all and we shouldn't.
The type of player I would target with a trade is a disgruntled star, ala Paul George when he wanted out of Indiana. Target an up and comer like Haliburton, my favorite option. Also, for higher-end role players. I just think it is all such a crapshoot and luck plays such a big part that when you reach for a an unknown commodity like Miller, there is a high chance of looking like 76ers trading for Fultz.

I cant think of any decision worse with our 3 draft picks than keeping all of them. Trade for a star if possible, next trade for some young upcoming talent that we have a good idea of who they are, or trade up in the draft. No team and no coach wants 3 first round rookies to break in.

Last edited: