What's new

Hurricanes and Natural Disasters

The Thriller

Sounds like Ida is going to be horrible. I wasn’t in the country at the time Katrina hit. Does anyone else remember that? What was that like?

what are some of the worst natural disasters you’ve been in?

Sounds like Ida is going to be horrible. I wasn’t in the country at the time Katrina hit. Does anyone else remember that? What was that like?

what are some of the worst natural disasters you’ve been in?

I’ve never been part of being caught in a natural disaster ever so I can’t speak to living with that fear.

Katrina was weird because I don’t believe the levies failed until 24-48 hours after the storm passed. People were back out partying that the storm had passed not knowing the worst was yet to come.

My part of Utah has few natural disasters, other than very minor earthquakes. The closest I've come is the tornado that swept through Salt Lake City in 1999, which went right by my office building.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

My part of Utah has few natural disasters. The closest I've come is the tornado that swept through Salt Lake City in 1999, which went right by my office building.

I remember that. I wasn’t in salt lake but I remember that.

In the late 90s I remember a few microburst winds In June that did a lot of damage.

I remember the winter of… 1991 or 1992 dumping a ton of snow. There were businesses in Orem that had their roofs collapse under the snow’s weight. My dad climbed up on our house’s room to shovel it.

The winter storm in February a few winters back where Sandy had the pump malfunction and it pumped fluoride into the water was pretty awful too. That was a lot of snow.

I or immediate family members get caught up in them every few years. I live in California and massive fires are just a thing that happens ever since the Jewish Space Lasers went up. The area my house is in has been under mandatory evacuation orders twice. They usually set up evacuation centers but they suck and both times we ended up camping in my wife’s office at her work.

We’ve been lucky and no one in my family has yet lost a structure to fire but there have been many close calls. A couple years ago a fire burned every structure to within 1 street over from my brother’s brewery. In the next year a fire burned half way across the property and the fire fighters stopped the fire before it could get the house at my in-law’s ranch.

Mostly what you do is stream emergency services radio chatter for any information, hit refresh in twitter with whatever the hashtag for the name of the fire is, and rely on reporters from tiny local newspapers who all work to exhaustion to post whatever they find out. Everyone reaches out to everyone they know to see if they can help with supplies, help evacuating, or tips on where to go.

It was shock-inducing the first time it happened, but it is amazing how quickly you get used to even things as crazy as natural disasters.

My part of Utah has few natural disasters, other than very minor earthquakes. The closest I've come is the tornado that swept through Salt Lake City in 1999, which went right by my office building.

I was actually in a plane landing in SLC from PDX when that hit. The plane bounced up and down for a couple of minutes, then the pilot came on: "Sorry about that turbulence, folks, we just flew over a tornado."

Just hurricanes, but it’s been awhile since we’ve had a direct hit. Henri was downgraded just before it hit. Superstorm Sandy in 2012 did a lot of damage on our south coast before hitting NJ. I had to look up the rest, lol, because most happened when I was young. I’ve experienced one cat. 3, two cat 2, and three cat 1 hurricanes. Also “the perfect storm”, 1991, the storm for which the movie was named.

I haven’t been in any natural disaster but I do remember being in Missouri in like 2009 or 2010 and we got a massive storm that the snow piled up almost waist high. That’s not the reason I share this, the thing it made me think of was the snow plow went down the road and clipped a whole bunch of mail boxes, ours included, and the top was far separated from the post.

I was in my last area, with my last companion, on my mission when the tornado happened. The place we ate our meals at told us about it and I didn’t believe it at first. If, after surviving the most destructive hurricane to ever hit that part of the world, I would have gone home and been in a tornado, I would think I was cursed or something.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

I remember the winter of… 1991 or 1992 dumping a ton of snow. There were businesses in Orem that had their roofs collapse under the snow’s weight. My dad climbed up on our house’s room to shovel it.

I remember that winter as well. We shoveled our roof, then our neighbor’s who had a back injury, then our other neighbor who was blind. Lots of shoveling that day. The streets in our neighborhood kept getting skipped by the plows. It got to the point where you couldn’t get out of the neighborhood if you didn’t have 4 wheel drive. Finally my mom baked some cookies, put a dozen on a paper plate and had my oldest brother go stand on the corner of the “busy street” to flag a plow driver down to bribe them with a plate of cookies to do our neighborhood.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz