Should he start?

• Yes he should start at PG

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • No he should not start and come off the bench

Votes: 49 63.6%
  • He should start at SG

Votes: 9 11.7%

• Total voters
I have confidence in the coaches to play Exum the right amount to develop his game. He needs help. His endurance, handle, shot all need improvement.
And I think Trey is proud - so demoting him to 2nd string would be a bad idea. ESPECIALLY if you want to showcase him to the other teams in the hopes of trading him for something we need more (I wish we could trade Trey+ ? for Greek Freak).

But why start a guy (Burke), who doesn't have as high of ceiling? If anything they could play exum less minutes while starting still.
I agree with you, but I just don't see it happening.

I'd like to see Trey play well to start the season and when he's at his best, see what you can get for him. Once the trade is made then Exum becomes the starter.

He's so raw to handle the PG duty and being a starter so he's gotta live the Deron Williams period to learn the game, teams, schemes etc and play more and more after all star break. Also, he definitely needs to learn shooting to be effective and use his 1st step advantage.

he is not an NBA-star or starter (quality-wise) for the upcoming two seasons.
I hope, he progresses faster and further than Kanter, who was another project.

An 18 year old Kobe played 15 mpg as a rookie off the bench behind awesome players like Eddie Jones. He wasn't ready to dominate when he first came in the league, and I think he was ahead of where Exum is currently. I'd say he turned out pretty decent. I think Exum will be ready next year hopefully if he can get his shot consistent.

- Prefer him to start at PG (Because Burke is just a ball hog and he just over dribbles all the time)

- But we're stuck with Trey.

- So I proposed (a while ago now), that we have Burke bring up the ball, but and have Exum at SG do most of the playmaking (driving and dishing, etc).

- This is similar to how the Heat utilises Lebron's playmaking ability.

burke is a ball hog? that's new. 12.8 attempt? ball hog? very new.

Let's be a little honest here, Exum is our player that has the best star potential of the bunch. He needs the exposure and potential minutes to really catalyze him while in the starting lineup. It looks like one of Exum's best strengths is his play making ability. I also believe that having him at PG gives the Jazz the advantage. At his size he can see over the defense and become a nightmare of a mismatch.

Burke will be a great back up guard, especially with his low turn over rate. He can be the leader of that second unit which also includes Gobert and Hood (most likely).

I'm not exactly sure who else will start and I think Snyder will play the guys that earn it, but even this starting lineup looks to have a lot of potential:

Exum
Burks
Hayward
Kanter
Favors

It's probably the biggest line up in the league. The ball movement would be great with Exum, Burks, and Hayward. Kanter and Favors would love the easy buckets.

I really believe that a player needs to be starting by around year 2 to really blossom into a star. All of our young guys have been made to come off the bench until their 3rd year and haven't been able to reach their full potential.

So what do you think? Should Exum start? who should start???

I think working with what we have
Exum
Burks
Hayward
Kanter
Favors

is the lineup that makes the most sense. As mad as I am that we matched Haywards offer, there is nothing that we can do about it, but I still would have liked to see someone else in his spot. That is not the lineup that is going to win games, but the Jazz did nothing during the off-season except over pay for Hayward. Yea, thats our best lineup. Last year I said the Jazz would not win 30 games, this year I say we will not will 35, not with that lineup anyway.

I like Burke. I think he should be given 1st opportunity to start based on experience and where they are right now. I will not be surprised if by the end of Training Camp Exum's passing and athleticism vault him over Burke. I fully expect Dante to be the starter eventually. Trey is just not a very good starting PG. Too much dribbling and looking for his own shot, Not good at running pick and roll, and a terrible defender on top of it.
I want Exum to earn the spot. I just want to see him do it ASAP. I think it's going to happen in the long run anyway.

I get that folks are excited about Exum. I am too... But he can still get 25-30 minutes off the bench and ease into the starter role. It will be good to have Burke and him for this first year so he doesn't get overwhelmed. We also have to see how much his conditioning improves... It was a little weird how gassed he looked all the time. He's been training for a year and I know he's not in game shape but I had hoped he'd be a little further along.

People should ease up on trey a bit. He's not a ball hog at all... Not sure where that comes from. He's limited but he's still young and has handled this situation very well. Benching him because Exum has more potential would be a bit of a mistake at this point. If Exum outplays him when real games start then Exum will have earned it and a move canbe made then.

I like Burke. I think he should be given 1st opportunity to start based on experience and where they are right now. I will not be surprised if by the end of Training Camp Exum's passing and athleticism vault him over Burke. I fully expect Dante to be the starter eventually. Trey is just not a very good starting PG. Too much dribbling and looking for his own shot, Not good at running pick and roll, and a terrible defender on top of it.
I want Exum to earn the spot. I just want to see him do it ASAP. I think it's going to happen in the long run anyway.

I think Trey will start, someone said that Trey is a proud guy, I would agree. they'll be forced to find some kind of chemistry. I think Trey is going to end up trying extra hard for the first part of the season to show everyone that he should be starting, and leading this young squad.

As for what I want, that depends on how they perform! We have a whole new system under a new coach. I'm sold on Snyder, I like how he is honest with the camera, the media, and himself.

I may get flamed for this, but why not start Burke at pg with Exum at sg playing backup mins say 15 giving Burks over 30 minutes as the sixth man, if half way through the season, and Exum is out playing Burke in a two pg system, then give Exum more mins and reduce Burke's minutes.

If Exum doesn't look like he is ready for big minutes keep him in that rotation or move Burke into the starting lineup.

I think this would be a great situation for Exum. Give him the confidence of being the starter, while basically being a backup. Plus earning more minutes can be a motivator for him to play well, and not putting too much pressure on him. Burks continues to be sixth man, but playing over 30 minutes basically makes him the starter minutes is, and finishes games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the many reasons you bring Exum off the bench: confidence.

You don't want to ruin his confidence. Let him come off the bench, in limited minutes to start the year 10-15 mins a game. Once his conditioning comes around, his confidence will grow. Once he dominates the second unit, SLOWLY increase his minutes and time against starters.

The one thing you don't want to lose with Exum is his confidence. He is so quick, and such a good passer, he could dominate on speed alone, offensively and defensively.

Don't put him in a situation to get beat early. Play him sparingly and only against matchups he will clearly dominate.