What's new

I found this evaluation from a jazz fan on NBAdraft.net and wanted to see what jazz fanz thoughts r

Wolverine Newby

Get on the Udoh bandwagon Utah fans Evaluation of Utah possible picks at #9
Utah needs a big guy. As many of you know Boozer could leave in the offseason. Of course no one will produce like Booz can in their first year, so who ever the Jazz draft will play backup to Millsap. I don’t want to see Koufus backing up Millsap. Horrible player, I don’t even want to see him in a Jazz uniform.

Many people have mixed feelings about which big man Utah will take. Most think Monroe because he plays their system but he is not their guy, you will see later why not. So to settle the debacle and get all Utah fans on the right track I will evaluate every big man that could be around at the 9th pick. I will use draftexpress.com as I feel that site explains all the big men best and I also like their comparisons better.

Greg Monroe
Very skilled passer, but more of a finesse player. Almost to finesse for my liking. I want my big men to finish. I also think he has motivational problems. Draftexpress.com backs me up here is their evaluation:
Best case: Brad Miller, worst case Josh McRoberts
Strengths: Decision making, Excellent skill level, Executes offensively, versatility, Ability to create own shot, ability to face basket, excellent hands, BBIQ, unselfishness, BB instincts, young for class, court vision,coordination, size for position, solid frame.
Weaknesses(this is what I look at and fear and therefore do not want Utah to draft him) Turnover prone***, Ball handling skills with either hand***, Activity level***, Defensive post presence***, Man to Man defense***, Mental Physical Toughness***, Inconsistent shooter***, lacks great range one jumper***. As you can see Monroe would not good for Utah for those reasons, now some of those things are coachable but you can teach Mental and Physical Toughness or Activity Level, that's why I don't want Utah to draft him.

Donatas Montiejunas: If you think Utah should draft him because both Okur and Booz don't play too much D, then you should be kicked off the face of the planet. Okur and Booz do play D they just aren't great defenders. Sloan preaches Defense a ton so Montiejunas would just sit in Sloan's doghouse and would be traded immediately
Best Case: Andrea Bargnani, worst case: Channing Frye
Strengths: Excellent skill level, mismatch potential, scoring instincts, ability to create own shot, ball handling skills with either hand, excellent hands, excellent touch, Footwork(post moves), Turnaround jumper, potential, Solid passer, athleticism, Size for position, 3 point range, pick and pop potential
Weaknesses: inability to establish position in post***, Ability to defend position at next level***, Commitment to playing defense***, Defensive Awareness***, Gets backed down in post***, Consistency***, Does not always play hard***, Mental and physical toughness***, Not ready to contribute immediately***, Questionable intangibles***, Strength***, poor rebounder***.

Ed Davis: Great potential but UNC's inability to succeed this year stands out too much. He should have been more dominating, Also his injury gets me worried that it will take him awhile to develop and who knows this could be a re-occurring injury.
Best Case: Al Horford, worst case: More physically gifted Udonis Haslem
Strengths: Executes offensively, Excellent hands, excellent touch, ability to contest shots, commitment to playing defense, shot blocking tools: Defensive Fundamentals, BBIQ, Role player potential, strong intangibles, Above average athleticism, Solid Frame, wingspan, Rebounding ability
Weakness: Lacks signifcant offensive polish***, Midrange game***, Ability to create own shot and face the basket***, footwork(post moves)***, Gets backed down in post***, Not ready to contribute immediately***, jump shot***.

Patrick Patterson: Hard worker so he looks like a Utah pick but is too small for me. Only 6'9. Reminds me of Paul Millsap. I want Utah to get past the Lakers next year. Good luck getting past them with two small 4's (Millsap and Patterson) In order to get past the Lakers you must have size.
Best case: Carl Landry, worst case, Kris Humphries
look at link for strengths and weakness.
https://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Patrick-Patterson-1225/

Hassan Whiteside: Project, Utah needs someone who can perform immediately.
The strengths and weaknesses are not even listed on draft express, and nor is he compared to anybody.

Cole Aldrich: I fear he is another Greg Ostertag, but if the next guy I list is not available then I would draft him. He is #2 on my draft board.
Best case:Rich man's Joel Pryzbilla, worst case: Josh Boone
for strengths and weaknesses see link.
https://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Cole-Aldrich-1250/

Ekpe Udoh: plays hard, has great size at 6'10. Plays great defense. Can block a ton of shots. Has decent range. Shoots about 45% from mid range. Perfect Utah pick. #1 on my draft board.
Best case: Jason Thompson, worst case, Hilton Armstrong
Strengths: Timing, Versatility, Ability to face the basket, Nimble footwork, Shot-blocking skills, Strong Intangibles, Work ethic, Passing skills, Above average athleticism, Fluidity, Mid-range Jumper.
Weaknesses: Average Explosiveness(not needed in Utah), Lower Body strength (hard work compensates for that,), Defensive Rebounding (again hard work compensates for that). I actually look at his age as a strength because that means he is more polished and ready to contribute right away. Yes that does mean he has a low ceiling but Utah does not need high ceiling players to compete and beat the Lakers. Would be nice but not necessary.

I did not evaluate Derrick Favors or Demarcus Cousins because they will not be on the draft board when Utah is on the clock. I hope that all of you can now see that the pick for Utah is clearly Ekpe Udoh, and he should be available when the Jazz are up if not then we should draft Cole Aldrich, and after those 2 it is Greg Monroe, then Ed Davis, PP, Hassan Whiteside, and if none of those are available then Montie but trade the pick if this happens. Udoh pretty much has no weaknesses that are a concern with Utah and are not fixable by coaching and hard work ethic. He has both of those so any of his "weaknesses" can be overcome except for his age, but again to me that is not a weakness.

Any disagreements, lets debate and hopefully all confusion about this pick will be cleared up.
We should not pick a small forward because while it is a need a big man is a more pressing need as those do not come around too often and Booz might leave in the offseason. Who will come off bench for Millsap? It should be Udoh

Whenever I see a Center is credited for his passing, I want to turn around and run the other way (apologies to Kevin Love.)

I'm still thinking that if the pick comes down to a wing who can play or a big who might someday maybe be able to possibly contribute on a good day, then I'd rather the Jazz darft the wing. I'm almost full-on jumping on the Xavier Henry bandwagon.

Gordon Hayward is way better than Xavier Henry dude. You are clueless. :mad:

Donatas Montiejunas

Best Case: Andrea Bargnani, worst case: Channing Frye

That would be ok with me. I'm still on the Monroe train though.

finally someone who isn't on the Monroe bandwagon. Udoh's definitely my favorite by far. Monroe just seems too questionable to me. Monroe can pass and he can score with his left hand, but he can't shoot, can't do anything with his right hand, and if he's forced to the right he's useless.

"Okur and Booz do play D they just aren't great defenders"

While both do make good defensive plays once and while, especially Memo this year. These two do not play D enough to warrant that statement.
My anger, as well as many others here, is because they don't compete enough on the defensive end. Boozer in particular will body up someone,
only to let him go over him without even raising his arms. Let's not even get into help defense which resembles bird watching more than basketball.

3 things about Udoh

First of all he is 23. He played a couple of years at Michigan. Transfered and red shirted and played one really good year at Baylor. Basically he is unlikely to improve a lot more. He is also unlikely to get much thicker and stronger.

2nd I would say the Jason Thompson comparsion is good but Udoh is smaller and quicker. He also is more smooth and has more small forward skills.

3rd he isn't strong enough to play a power game in the pros. So he is a face-up 4 with some shotblocking ability.

3 things about Udoh

First of all he is 23. He played a couple of years at Michigan. Transfered and red shirted and played one really good year at Baylor. Basically he is unlikely to improve a lot more. He is also unlikely to get much thicker and stronger.

2nd I would say the Jason Thompson comparsion is good but Udoh is smaller and quicker. He also is more smooth and has more small forward skills.

3rd he isn't strong enough to play a power game in the pros. So he is a face-up 4 with some shotblocking ability.
Three things about your three things:

First of all, players don't typically peak at 23. And not picking Udoh because he's older is silly because he can still be re-signed for a 5-year deal that ends at age 32 if he turns out OK ("Ekpe"?).

2nd, if Udoh has small forward skills as you suggest, then this makes him more valuable b/c he can possibly play some minutes at both 3 and 5.

3rd, I'm not sure what you want more than benching 10x in the combine and having a ripped body to suggest that he can develop into a power player. He probably won't be Karl Malone or even Boozer strengthwise, but he can be a more nimble offensive player and a better defender than the latter.

Utah could benefit from a little more athleticism and agility and a little less bulk and yelling and the 4/5 spot. Udoh provides that.

Last edited: