What's new

I Think More Deals Are Coming Down

It might happen metaphorically.

Pedantic trivia of the day (opening myself to ridicule, bring it on!): Figurative indicates figures of speech, including metaphors.

Fascinating, no? Okay no.

I may be the only person that thinks this but I am not convinced Rudy is a max player for the Jazz. Some teams will more than likely give him the max but he needs to be more consistent for me to jump on that wagon. Particularly when it impacts our ability to hang to and pay some of our other young talent. His play last year and his play in the Olympics both give me reasons to wonder how much coin he is worth. I love his game and love that he is on the Jazz but not sold on the max.

I'm on the "pay Rudy" bandwagon but it is a valid debate that maxing out a 1-way rim protector could limit a team's ability to pay and retain scorers. What could LAC do with the money they pay DeAndre?

Those of you who follow my posts and my draft selection on contests know that I am defense-minded in belief system about "what creates winners"

I may be the only person that thinks this but I am not convinced Rudy is a max player for the Jazz. Some teams will more than likely give him the max but he needs to be more consistent for me to jump on that wagon. Particularly when it impacts our ability to hang to and pay some of our other young talent. His play last year and his play in the Olympics both give me reasons to wonder how much coin he is worth. I love his game and love that he is on the Jazz but not sold on the max.

Rudy is the only player on the roster at this moment in time that I would give max money to. One way player? Yeah. But he is a difference maker on defense. An elite defensive player. All defensive 1st team and DPOTY potential. Nobody else on the roster changes the game like he does.

I don't think the Olympics should be used as a measuring stick whether Rudy gets max money.Olympic performances means nothing as far as the NBA. I think Rudy struggled because the French team didn't play as a team. His layoff might have also resulted in some bad performance. Whatever reason the Olympics are simply the Olympics. Rudy struggled last year because he was not 100 percent healthy.

However, I certainly think giving him the MAX shouldn't just be automatic. The Jazz will certainly have some tough roster decisions to make especially if they MAX out Favors, Gordon, and Rudy. I really don't think Rudy or Favors or GOrdon have proven to be MAX players at least in OLD NBA, today's NBA is different so maybe all three guys are MAX players. I just think Rudy has a lot to prove this year before cutting him that MAX deal. Maybe if he wins DPOY then he gets his MAX deal. I just worry that the Jazz still need to pay Exum, Hood, Lyles too.

I can see where you're coming from, but I think Rudy is the single most important piece to our success now and going forward. I throw this stat around all the time, but last year we were 20-11 when he played more than 25 minutes. The year before we were 19-11 when he played more than 25 minutes and Kanter was out. That's a combined 39-22 when he played significant minutes as a starter and 39-64 when he didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Great post.

I really don't feel like taking the time to look **** up but I remember that when Rudy came back, we had a more favorable schedule and when he was out, we didn't. Perhaps I'm wrong. But my point is, we won with Rudy because they were easier games. We lost without him because they were tougher.

Or maybe you're right. Either way, we can't prove it. I just want him to prove me wrong this season. I kept his quote as my sig for a reason.

I really don't feel like taking the time to look **** up but I remember that when Rudy came back, we had a more favorable schedule and when he was out, we didn't. Perhaps I'm wrong. But my point is, we won with Rudy because they were easier games. We lost without him because they were tougher.

Or maybe you're right. Either way, we can't prove it. I just want him to prove me wrong this season. I kept his quote as my sig for a reason.

We did have a slightly weaker schedule, but it's a big enough sample size that you can reasonably say that losing nearly triple the amount of games while winning the exact same amount when he's out means quite a ****ton on how important he is to the team

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

I think as stats and analytics move forward in the game of basketball it will be easier to gauge how effective a player like Rudy is. I tend to think he might be the most impactful player on the team over the course of a season despite having virtually zero offensive game. Basketball is getting more advanced in its analyses, but judging overall value and defensive impact is still too hard to determine. One note (I put no stock in this whatsoever, and really dunno what it is except for an inbred relative of baseball's WAR), CARMELO had Rudy as the most effective Jazz player by a pretty hefty margin iirc.

If the jazz extend favors for some where in the 20% to 25% range they will have plenty of money for rudy and hayward at max. I could see gobert getting something a little lower then max because he seems like a home town kind of guy. Explaining it woukd be used to re-sign hill.

I am hoping favors is closer to 22% again to be used on hill.

There is only 1 big i would trade gobert for and that is cousins.

Hood shouldn't be a problem either with diaw and johnson coming off the books. The jazz front office has been brilliant.

If the jazz extend favors for some where in the 20% to 25% range they will have plenty of money for rudy and hayward at max. I could see gobert getting something a little lower then max because he seems like a home town kind of guy. Explaining it woukd be used to re-sign hill.

I am hoping favors is closer to 22% again to be used on hill.

There is only 1 big i would trade gobert for and that is cousins.

Hood shouldn't be a problem either with diaw and johnson coming off the books. The jazz front office has been brilliant.

Yes. They could do that. But where is the cap space/flexibility needed to improve the team? Does that group ever get us to title contention?

Either by signing veteran free agents, a 2 or 3-1 trade or something like that. It seems like we have five million point guards right now and there are teams in need of a backup. I could see one getting shipped with a non guaranteed K to Sacto for one of their bigs which could be Kotas. Just a hunch.

I would love to have Kosta "Boom Bitches" Koufas back!

wait... that's a different player isn't it?