What's new

I wonder if people realize...

What do you mean?

Yes. Pretty much.
(I cash in my credit card reward points once a year and get a 100 dollar gift card and take my wife there for Valentine's day. Best food I have ever had)

A steak by itself is close to 50 dollars. We usually share a side/appetizer.
Dessert. Drinks. Bye bye money

You can do better than Ruth's Chris, especially for the money. Are you one of them in STG or SLC, I always forget? Anyway, ever been to the Timbermine? Meat easily on par (dry- and wet-aged on site), and sides with more variety and *gasp* included! Plus it's a nice secluded location, quiet and romantic-like.

You can do better than Ruth's Chris, especially for the money. Are you one of them in STG or SLC, I always forget? Anyway, ever been to the Timbermine? Meat easily on par (dry- and wet-aged on site), and sides with more variety and *gasp* included! Plus it's a nice secluded location, quiet and romantic-like.
Where is timberline? I always want to try new steakhouses

I doubt it could be as good as Ruth's chris though

I'm in slc btw

Ruths Chris is really good food but you are also paying for the atmosphere and the way you are treated. Ive had better food for less and spent more for worse food. But that said Ruths Chris is really good food and never lets you down. I think its great to go now and then, like Fishonjazz I go every once in awhile and enjoy it. If I want a really good steak for a decent price I make it myself.

Ruths Chris is really good food but you are also paying for the atmosphere and the way you are treated. Ive had better food for less and spent more for worse food. But that said Ruths Chris is really good food and never lets you down. I think its great to go now and then, like Fishonjazz I go every once in awhile and enjoy it. If I want a really good steak for a decent price I make it myself.

You have an 1800 degree infrared oven? Jealous.

Log, not to attempt to discredit what you're saying, but judging by that place's website it looks like your typical upscale meat quality grill steakhouse. Is that true?

You have an 1800 degree infrared oven? Jealous.

Log, not to attempt to discredit what you're saying, but judging by that place's website it looks like your typical upscale meat quality grill steakhouse. Is that true?

No, but a smoker and a bbq and access to fresh meat and I like how I season and prepare my steaks. A slow smoked medium rare porterhouse with the right seasoning is the best thing ever.

No, but a smoker and a bbq and access to fresh meat and I like how I season and prepare my steaks. A slow smoked medium rare porterhouse with the right seasoning is the best thing ever.

I always have mushrooms fried in butter and rosemary over a baked potato with my steaks. I usually don't season the steak other than a pinch of salt. Simple, perfect.

I lived in Bozeman, Montana for a while and I miss the Hell out of a good steak place. There you had several to choose from. I loved "The Mint" in Nearby Manhattan for a plate sized porterhouse for about $13. The Best was from the Montana Rib and Chop House in Livingston (on the way to Yellowstone.) Absolute steak perfection, bison of beef.
Crazy thing is that I noticed that they franchised and now have one in St. George. Putting that on the list for the next time I visit. I doubt it is as good, but even "almost as good" would be divine. . .

I lived in Bozeman, Montana for a while and I miss the Hell out of a good steak place. There you had several to choose from. I loved "The Mint" in Nearby Manhattan for a plate sized porterhouse for about $13. The Best was from the Montana Rib and Chop House in Livingston (on the way to Yellowstone.) Absolute steak perfection, bison of beef.
Crazy thing is that I noticed that they franchised and now have one in St. George. Putting that on the list for the next time I visit. I doubt it is as good, but even "almost as good" would be divine. . .

Are you talking about the Chop House? I've had only apps there. Was okay. Seemed a bit weird. Like a semi-upscale restaurant that was missing the mark.

Tipping is the dumbest thing ever. In no other business I can think of is the direct labor costs not incorporated into the cost of the product.

Imagine going to Safeway and paying for your groceries, then adding 20% of that bill to the clerk so you can pay for his salary.

Hell, why not have another charge for overhead in the meal while we're at it?

You guys are cute. I will provide my treatise on the perfect steak another time. I know I have posted it on JF a few times in the past.

The Timbermine is a legendary success story from Weber State University. I had some behind the scenes time there and was impressed. They do things the right way. It is a hole in the wall kind of place, and it is very thick on the Pioneer-inspired ambiance (it is way out of date to the formal modern steak house with their sharp crisp linens and hard lines and 23 people waiting on you...at the timbermine you get a waitress - or waiter - and she brings you your food and keeps your drink full, etc.). Their food is always fresh, cooked correctly. They meat is locally sourced (as much as possible), aged, grilled to perfection (as in medium rare is medium rare, not "hey it says medium rare but really we only know how to do bloody and grey, hopefully we get it close to the middle this time"), and served with sides made fresh daily. Their prime rib is phenomenal. It is quaint, and fun and nostalgic. And just good food. I have had few pieces of meat, that I did not cook myself, that were better anywhere, and I have tried a LOT of steakhouses all over the place. I recommend it. Go at like 5 to get a table fast, especially on weekends, or cal for reservation. It is always packed.

1800 degree or whatever infrared burner....pssh. All you need is a chimney starter and a half load of coals glowing white. Tap once to know the ash off and drive the heat up. The top of that sucker hits 800-1000 easy, and really that is all you need if you did the rest right. I normally sear over charcoal with a grate set 1/2 inch off the coals. 600 - 700 degrees is plenty for a perfect sear if you are using tallow.

Tipping is the dumbest thing ever. In no other business I can think of is the direct labor costs not incorporated into the cost of the product.

I like tipping. If the waiter was paid wholly by their employer they would be less friendly imo. I tip well(1/3 to 1/2). If the waiter is a complete douche I tell them why they aren't getting a tip.(I've only done that a couple times)

I wish tipping was customary for more service jobs. Nurses are a great example. My childs nurse is really nice but I have had some horrid ones. It would be nice if they were "bribed" to be pleasant.

1800 degree or whatever infrared burner....pssh. All you need is a chimney starter and a half load of coals glowing white. Tap once to know the ash off and drive the heat up. The top of that sucker hits 800-1000 easy, and really that is all you need if you did the rest right. I normally sear over charcoal with a grate set 1/2 inch off the coals. 600 - 700 degrees is plenty for a perfect sear if you are using tallow.

Eh, to each his own. I realize American men have this machismo about how well they can barbecue meat (Freud told me you're all most likely closet gay), but I've never cooked or seen anyone cook a steak anywhere near as good using conventional methods.

There's a reason top steakhouses don't use coals or smokers. Those are now for county fairs and carnivals.

Eh, to each his own. I realize American men have this machismo about how well they can barbecue meat (Freud told me you're all most likely closet gay), but I've never cooked or seen anyone cook a steak anywhere near as good using conventional methods.

There's a reason top steakhouses don't use coals or smokers. Those are now for county fairs and carnivals.

Closet, what closet?

And there is a reason: cost, efficiency, and reproducibility.

The reason top steak houses use the techniques they do is because of time. A high quality restaurant cannot take 1-2 hours to cook your meal and have it be different every time you come in.

I do like my own cooking since I make it the way I like it. I also dont think my BBQ is the best by any stretch of the imagination, just an amateur.

My friend (his husband and my wife refer to him as my boyfriend) has asked me to bbq for him...

I like the tipping system. Like I said, I was a waiter at a steakhouse. I sucked at it. I'd go home with less then gas money...I found a different kind of work that I was better at. So the tipping system improved service at that establishment.

Tipping absolutely encourages better service.

Also, at places where I'm a regular I get preferential treatment because I tip well, and I like that because I'm not the schmoozy kind of guy that would get that treatment otherwise.

TIPS stands for "to insure prompt service"

Yet, they choose to do that for a job. :) Good thing they're not forced.

Why the hell do we tip in the first place? Murica.
The same quality of people would choose a different line of work if we eliminated tipping. Imagine Wal-Mart employees serving you your streak.

I totally ain't a gay and I can tell you; if you like the taste of meat in your mouth how it got there and where it came from matters. Not caring, that's how people get aids.

I like the tipping system. Like I said, I was a waiter at a steakhouse. I sucked at it. I'd go home with less then gas money...I found a different kind of work that I was better at. So the tipping system improved service at that establishment.

Tipping absolutely encourages better service.

Also, at places where I'm a regular I get preferential treatment because I tip well, and I like that because I'm not the schmoozy kind of guy that would get that treatment otherwise.

TIPS stands for "to insure prompt service"

I am indifferent on the tipping system. I like aspects of it but dont like other aspects.

You prefer that rich people get treated better and get faster service than someone of less wealth then them? Not saying I am oppose to that, just asking.