What's new

I wouldn't mind Dantoni as coach

jazzfan1971

I'm serious. With our young legs and high altitude home court I think we'd benefit from an uptempo offense. Wouldn't be the best choice for playoff success, but, at this point I'd take some entertaining ball and 50 wins with a first round exit.

I know most of you will violently disagree. We should have a -1 button for you. Sorry there isn't one.

That would be the legitimate response.

D'Antoni probably isn't looking at a rebuild project, either. He's too good for that, or something, much like Doc Rivers.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he preceded the CSKA Coach for an Italian team before Mike took over the Suns. That Suns team with Nash, Amare etc was fun to watch. The Jazz could do a lot worse and he won head to head vs. Ty.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he preceded the CSKA Coach for an Italian team before Mike took over the Suns. That Suns team with Nash, Amare etc was fun to watch. The Jazz could do a lot worse and he won head to head vs. Ty.

Deron Williams won head to head vs. Chris Paul.

Isn't that the guy who didn't know the lottery odds and thought the Jazz and Lakers had the same amount of ping pong balls after a win? and who hadn't talked to Meeks in weeks?

cda.jpg

Not a Dan fan for several reasons. Main one is, no one will win the ring with an uptempo system. You can have a running team but you have be good at D and you have to have a very solid half court offense to win in the playoffs. He does not bring either of those facets to the game.

I think D'Antoni got a bad deal in both NY and LA but even though I think his running game works well it mostly does in the regular season besides he isn't big on defense. I also don't want t a retread and Mike is who he is.

D'antoni is a great pick and roll guard look what Nash did and even Kendall Marshall was playing out of his mind in LA under him. He could possibly help Favors offense by showing him how prime Stoudamire scored and attacked after catching the ball around the high post. His defensive philosophy is frightening though. LA gave up the second most points at 109.2 last year.

D'antoni is a great pick and roll guard look what Nash did and even Kendall Marshall was playing out of his mind in LA under him. He could possibly help Favors offense by showing him how prime Stoudamire scored and attacked after catching the ball around the high post. His defensive philosophy is frightening though. LA gave up the second most points at 109.2 last year.

His reputation might have been better if Stern hadn't suspended the Suns players in a playoff series vs. the Spurs when Robert Horry sucker punched Nash and the players rushed to his defense. I know Magic is not a Mike fan.

I think there is a serious lack of nuanced discussion when it comes to D'Antoni. Maybe it's because of the style he's attributed as coaching, maybe it's the markets of the jobs he's taken, and maybe it's the wildly disparate levels of success he's had. I think he generally doesn't get enough credit (I listened to that syndicated, know-nothing, sensationalist polyp-throat on 1320 talk about how he was TERRIBLE with the Knicks and Lakers [I guess he didn't notice that he improved the records of the teams he joined on arrival]), but I'm also not quite sure how much credit he deserves.

I think in a non-toxic situation with some young, decent talent, he'd do well. I'm not sure how well, and I'm not convinced he really cares about defense all that much. I also don't want a retread, so I'm not interested in him. This is mostly me addressing the topic of Mike D'Antoni and how he's perceived.

This concludes my post.

If DL was judging Ty on defense, why would he change and judge the new coach on something different?

If D'Antoni will be judged on his defense, is that really giving him a fair shot based on the fact that his scheme on offense usually leaves something to be desired on defense?

San Bernadino

I'm serious. With our young legs and high altitude home court I think we'd benefit from an uptempo offense. Wouldn't be the best choice for playoff success, but, at this point I'd take some entertaining ball and 50 wins with a first round exit.

I know most of you will violently disagree. We should have a -1 button for you. Sorry there isn't one.

Hi there. I hope you're doing well and that you're week has been productive. If you could do us all a favor and log out of your account and stay logged out for a few weeks, please. Thanks!

Just speaking on the offense for now...D'antoni would do wonders for the Jazz. Hayward is at his best in transition, perfect for Coach D's offensive system. We are a young team, with young legs and should be running teams ragged instead of the ****ty slow motion offense we've been running for the last 3.5 years. D'antoni turned an undersized/slow/unathletic point guard into a 2-time MVP (the Jazz also have an undersized/slow/unathletic PG).

OK, now let's talk defense...ummm, uhhh, nothing to really talk about here.

Id rather have George Karl who plays at an equally exciting pace, but also has teams that play tough defense.

Mike D'Antoni has yet to prove he can win consistently without having a Steve Nash barely out of his prime (and you could make the case, very much in it). I liked D'Antoni a few years ago, but outside a four-year window with the Suns where he actually achieved something of note, his success is abysmal:

DEN: 14-36
PHX: 21-40
NYK: 32-50
NYK: 29-53
NYK: 42-40
LAL: 40-32
LAL: 27-55

If that was his record, I doubt anyone would be clamoring for him as coach. Of course, he does deserve credit for what he did with the Suns between 2004 and 2008, but how much of that was D'Antoni and not Steve Nash? Nash has a history of success beyond those four seasons. But D'Antoni? Not even marginally successful. THAT, IMO, is a pretty big red flag.