What's new

I Yearn for Cockburn

Udoka just has/had no offensive skill outside of dunking the ball. This kid is a significantly better scorer, rebounder, and he's bigger. Although he's not the athlete that Udoka was coming into the draft.
He's better at all the things NBA bigs don't need to do anymore...

Cockburn definitely is not a better prospect. He might end up being better, but likely only because of Doks injury issues

He's better at all the things NBA bigs don't need to do anymore...

Cockburn definitely is not a better prospect. He might end up being better, but likely only because of Doks injury issues
Yeah I guess you're right Udoka's athleticism and rim protection made him a better prospect.

How do you all think Shaq would fare in today's NBA?
If teams knew he was Shaq, amazingly.

A lot of it, IMO, comes down to opportunity. Teams just dont give post players a chance anymore unless they are insanely elite and have a high level of other talents like passing/shooting/defense.

How do you all think Shaq would fare in today's NBA?

The speed and space of the modern game are hard on bigs like Shaq. The pick-and-roll coverages are way out on the floor. Bigs need to be able to hedge and recover on guards and wings. The most effective defensive bigs right now are slim guys like Rudy and Robert Williams who don't get killed on switches. Offensively though he'd get a lot of dunks, just like during his playing career.

I am interested to watch summer league guys that are being signed. The talent level seems higher than in the past. I like the potential of some of these guys and they are definitely more athletic than in the past. I doubt any of them make it but a few of them can be G-league guys who we can develop. I like Kofi. I was impressed with his fade away jump shot in the highlights. Udoka cannot do that. Usher is another guy I want to see. Jazz need a few cheap contracts anyway.

Sounds like a fair assessment from a home-team reporter:

... But Cockburn will at least have a chance. Utah actually hosts its own Summer League from July 5-7 before the entire league descends on Las Vegas from July 7-17 for the main event. That’s where Cockburn has to start (or keep) proving he doesn’t fall under the “he is who he is” category.

A mid-range jumper here.

A successful ball-screen coverage that doesn’t involve dropping toward the basket there.

Literally any assist.

Moments where Utah — or other interested parties — can project more than just a physical post presence that can catch some lobs and rebound. Cockburn’s ability to do both at a high level can’t be overlooked, but that might not be enough. Not in a league where shooting from every position is coveted and more traditional centers really aren’t.

So the G League it might be for Cockburn. ...

This one makes it sound like he is a Stars player best case.

I don't care about his short-roll passing. He's a brute play finisher. Sure, he's limited, but let him do what he's good at--guard the paint, rebound and dunk on fools.

If he's got the ball in the paint 8-feet and in, he should be going hard to the rim, not passing out to Royce O'Neale.

Last edited: