What's new

if we get Jabari Parker....we might have to wait 2 years for him to actually play....what.

The LDS Church can think outside the box. He wouldn't need to be called to a traditional mission. If Parker really feels the need to serve an official mission, they could have Jabari giving firesides around the country during the off-season. This isn't a Shawn Bradley type situation. Jabari can have WAY more influence on people by playing in the NBA and showing and professing his value system by the way he conducts himself on and off the court. And can you imagine the impact of playing out his rookie contract - and his RFA year(s) - and then signing with the Jazz, declaring that the reason for doing so is that he wants to live in a state that has strong family values and play for an organization that stresses the same and discourages its players from going to nightclubs, etc.? Whether you agree with the LDS Church or not...and this is not meant as a post to say their beliefs and values are right or worng...I'm just saying I can think of no better way than that for Jabari to have the kind of missionary/ambassadorship impact he desires as a member of the LDS faith.

Then he shouldn't go on a mission and just do firesides on some Sunday nights, but if he goes on a mission, it's to go out full time. So he can either choose to not go, and do some firesides or go on a mission and give up basketball for two years.

Sent from the JazzFanz app

LDS church would want Jabari to play right away.
They can start collecting their tithe immediately.:rolleyes:

The Spurs waited for Robinson to serve in the Navy. Are the rules different now?

The same. Signing up for Annapolis has the weight of law behind it. You may not change your mind. A "mission" is always undertaken of one's free will and i would think could be terminated simply by asking to be released. Any RM's out there can answer this?

Can't the LDS Church make Jabari play for the Jazz and Jazz alone? Isn't Monson a season ticket holder? If the Pope can get G-d to help his soccer team win the Argentine championship, I don't see why Monson can't just threaten Parker with a shunning or something.

Personally, I would rather Jabari play for another team because of threads like this one.

Besides, he could potentially do more good in the "mission field", playing for another team.

It's also the same reason I didn't want Jimmer to play for the Jazz.

Plus, he'd be a big distraction; both Jimmer and Jabari would.

Personally, I would rather Jabari play for another team because of threads like this one.

Besides, he could potentially do more good in the "mission field", playing for another team.

It's also the same reason I didn't want Jimmer to play for the Jazz.

Plus, he'd be a big distraction; both Jimmer and Jabari would.

Jabari would be a distraction? Why? Because he would be the most talented on our team? The franchise player we need?

I get Jimmer being a distraction despite not having much NBA talent. Some fans will always think that he can do no wrong and should be playing more. So yeah, I get that. But Jabari?

You're talking about one of the best prospects since King James.

The same. Signing up for Annapolis has the weight of law behind it. You may not change your mind. A "mission" is always undertaken of one's free will and i would think could be terminated simply by asking to be released. Any RM's out there can answer this?

Yes, you can certainly always come home from your mission early if that's what you choose to do. A couple of guys in my ward have done that recently for various reasons.

We'll be like Jabari's high school girlfriend who promises to wait for him to come home, but then gets married like a week after he's gone to some returned missionary she just met. And the whole time he's like, I got myself a girl waiting for me, just get through this next two years. And then he gets home and we're like, sorry bro.

We'll be like Jabari's high school girlfriend who promises to wait for him to come home, but then gets married like a week after he's gone to some returned missionary she just met. And the whole time he's like, I got myself a girl waiting for me, just get through this next two years. And then he gets home and we're like, sorry bro.
Wow, does that really happen? That's messed up...I thought Mormon girls were faithful to their men.

Haha, this sounds an awful lot like experience talking.

Can you imagine if we did have to wait for Jabari? It would be awesome. We could draft two more awesome players, and become a super team by the time he comes back.

He probably won't go on a mission though. He probably would have just done that right out of high school if he was going to go. They can go at 18 now. But that might have affected NCAA eligibility though? Anyone know?