What's new

If we lose to Charlotte tonight...

Love actually hurts his team when he starts doing that. He is the best rebounder in the league, so stepping away from the basket to shoot 35% (career) on threes is an epic fail.

Stretching a defense doesn't matter? That extra 50% of PPS (making those shots effectively 52.5%) doesn't matter? Forcing the other team to game plan another wrinkle doesn't matter? By your logic, why doesn't every team just shoot all of their shots within 5 feet and gang rebound on every possession, then?

I don't think there is a reasin to freak out about Favors yet. He still is only 21. His defense is great and his offense is good sometimes and bad other times. Its just being compared to Kanter that is making his offense look bad. Its more that Kanter is just showing he is an offensive stud that makes ya wonder why Favors isn't doing the same. There is a small amount of concern though relating to his motor and learning curve. But again, he is only 21. Dont push the panic button just yet.

This is why I think that Kanter is better suited to play Power Forward and Favors is more suited to play center. Most teams' PF's provide them with offense and rebounding while their C's provide defense and rebounding. Jefferson is clearly a better offensive player than he is a defensive player, which is why he is better suited to play PF than C. Derrick may never become the stellar offensive player that Enes potentially will, but he is also a way better defender than Enes.

I posted that in the wrong thread. Go read the thread about Al helping Favors/Kanter.
I don't see anyone needing to calm down in that thread either. Favors is not gifted offensively. Sloppy footwork, bad hands. He looks like he'll be a quality player/starter in the NBA, but I'd be surprised if he's ever much of a scorer.

I don't see anyone needing to calm down in that thread either. Favors is not gifted offensively. Sloppy footwork, bad hands. He looks like he'll be a quality player/starter in the NBA, but I'd be surprised if he's ever much of a scorer.

Like others, I think he has potential if he has the table set for him, but beyond that I don't really see it and I feel like we would've by now.

I hope I'm wrong. But there are worse things than being a terrific defender.

Like others, I think he has potential if he has the table set for him, but beyond that I don't really see it and I feel like we would've by now.

Transition, offensive rebounds, pick and rolls. He can get 12+ points per game as a 30+ minute starter with a half decent point guard. Favors is not a player who should be operating with the ball in his hands.

Transition, offensive rebounds, pick and rolls. He can get 12+ points per game as a 30+ minute starter with a half decent point guard. Favors is not a player who should be operating with the ball in his hands.

Totally agreed. I've been curious about his driving ability from the high-post, but he doesn't really have the jumper to keep the D honest, nor the handles to make a drive reliable. At least not yet. But I've seen little to suggest he should do low-post work in almost any circumstance.

I agree. If he can stick with a one or two go to moves like baby hook or up&under and that can make him focus on what to do at the offensive end. He is just trying to do so many different things and deciding what to do spontaneously. If he knows what to do when he gets the ball he would be much better.

You know, we argued about this the other day and you may be right. Its just that sometimes he looks great and pulls out some great moves and hits some nice shots, but other times he is making some really stupid plays, which calls into question just how smart he is. The fact that he still can't figure put how to avoid the offensive foul is concerning. He also throws up some pretty horrid shots. But again, other times he looks pretty nice on offense.

I think the book is still out on him because of his age though. Some people just dont mature mentaly as soon as others. It also may be because he isn't getting the reps he needs. He might need a lot of reps to perfect his craft. While Kanter seems to be able to take his teachings straight from the drawing board on to the court. Thats why Im not a fan of the way we are doing things. I'd rather just invest some time in the guy, and try to teach him. The Jazz seem to be all about expecting the player just to figure it out without much help. We have Lowe and others to work with these guys but we don't practice much during the season. I think some guys just learn better on the job.

It would just seem to me that Favors development would be a priority. Considering who we traded for him.

Maybe we need Malone in here and not Lowe. Thats another thought.

Totally agreed. I've been curious about his driving ability from the high-post, but he doesn't really have the jumper to keep the D honest, nor the handles to make a drive reliable. At least not yet. But I've seen little to suggest he should do low-post work in almost any circumstance.
His face up game could be decent if he figures out how to hit free throw line and short corner jumpers consistently. If he's going to continue to get possessions when he's on the court, I'd much rather see him face up than post up.

His face up game could be decent if he figures out how to hit free throw line and short corner jumpers consistently. If he's going to continue to get possessions when he's on the court, I'd much rather see him face up than post up.

It's really frustrating to me how much effort has been dumped into this fantasy of Favors becoming a low-post player instead of pursuing more natural AND MORE USEFUL ability like face-up scoring and PnR (although not having a reliable distributor hurts greatly there).

In my mind, you reserve post scoring for mismatches or if you've got a player with serious ability (or blooming potential in that regard). But that's a tangent.

Let's just say I'm happier tonight about the Jazz then I have been in a while. Probably since the "Hayward breaking out against Kobe in LA" game.

Honestly, I feel justified in calling for this even if it was against the Kitties.

as i said earlier no other team held bobcats to 9 point in any qtr.
no other team.
no miami no spurs no memphis no okc.
utah with al couldnt even hold them to 9 points in a qtr

so wheter its the bobcats or not it is impresive

I agree. If he can stick with a one or two go to moves like baby hook or up&under and that can make him focus on what to do at the offensive end. He is just trying to do so many different things and deciding what to do spontaneously. If he knows what to do when he gets the ball he would be much better.

We also have to take into consideration who is our point guards. Favors would benefit tremendously from a guy who could run the pick and roll and throw a few lobs.

We also have to consider the coach and who he is putting out there to play with him. Favors is mostly playing with half *** line ups where no one can really get him the ball in good spots. I've seen Burks and Hayward run some nice pick and rolls with him, but its not consistent. I don't know how you get better at that without reps. Our offense just looks like a sporadic mess at times with no plan at all. He isn't that great with his back to the basket, but could probably become a good pnr guy.

I say he still needs a chance to start, play with a good pg, mature mentaly, and get some reps before we say he can't be good on the offensive end. We have seen plenty flashes of it.

It's really frustrating to me how much effort has been dumped into this fantasy of Favors becoming a low-post player instead of pursuing more natural AND MORE USEFUL ability like face-up scoring and PnR (although not having a reliable distributor hurts greatly there).

In my mind, you reserve post scoring for mismatches or if you've got a player with serious ability (or blooming potential in that regard). But that's a tangent.

This. Good post.

I think the only thing keeping him from hitting face up jumpers more consistently is he needs to put more arc on the ball. Which is a relatively easy fix. He has a nice soft touch on the ball. Somebody just needs to tell him, if they haven't already.

Anyone notice the funny stat? Moved Kanter and Favors to the starting lineup, but the subs AGAIN outscored the starters: 57 to 41! Total minutes for each group were basically identical.

That's just Earl and Marvin doing their thing (Favors and Foye didn't do much offensively either).

Stretching a defense doesn't matter? That extra 50% of PPS (making those shots effectively 52.5%) doesn't matter? Forcing the other team to game plan another wrinkle doesn't matter? By your logic, why doesn't every team just shoot all of their shots within 5 feet and gang rebound on every possession, then?

For one the PPS gain is negated due to the fact he can't draw fouls shooting threes. He gets to the line a lot down low, taking about 8 free throws a game and making 5 to 6 would raise his 2 point PPS over 52.5%. Then you add in he is likely missing out on two offensive rebounds a game. Assuming they convert one of them, that's good for a 2-3 point differential per game. Just 2 point of differential alone is good for about 10 wins going by league average. Obviously not a science, but a quick and dirty estimator.

There is the small benefit of being in better position to play transition D, but I doubt it makes up for it.

Nice game. But kinda disappointed in the bonehead performance from favors. Fouled out in just 21 mins of play. It was a good opportunity for him to shine. Looks like only Kanter got the memo.

Regardless of Favors' meh performance today, what he gave to us on the defensive end was more than worth it IMO.