What's new

I'm coaching Middle School basketball this year-- advice?

• Thread starter Deleted member 848
  • Start date
Been coaching kids for a lot of years now. I have a ton of advice Dal, but putting it all down here could take hours. But #1 in kids that age is fundamentals. Make sure they understand what triple threat position is, How to use a pivot, Passing with a Bounce pass in traffic, Boxing out, Sitting down on defense and how to close out on a shooter, Help defense in Man to Man, How to open up to the ball in the pick and roll, Make sure the ball handler is rubbing shoulders on the screens, Go right back up with the ball high on a rebound, Jab steps, Layups, Form shots, Jump stops, Dribbling with there off hand, ECT........ Tons more there.

I do agree with that Age if you can press well it makes you a lot better, When to trap is important VS when to sit back and wait. Run an offense that is easy to understand while still giving the kids some freedom to make their own decisions. On Defense have your kids go under the screens and pack the paint. Kids that age are very inconsistent from the outside. Even if your not pressing make sure you have pressure on the ball handler once he crosses half court. Most coaches of that age have a very specific offense they try to run. If you can keep the PG from getting to were he wants to go to start their play it causes them a lot of problems.

But most of all have fun with this. Coaching is the most fun I have all year. And if you have any questions feel free to ask. PM me the question.

Last edited:
Teach them about pillow forts, and the rigors that come along from middle school fame.

In all seriousness try to teach them some basic skills. There are a ton of good videos on Youtube that can help.
I love the dribbling stuff. I still don't have "handles" today, and I blame it on my lack of good coaching(and living in Utah).

I would watch them play a few pick up games, and see who does what well. Find your shooters, your ball handlers, your defenders. Give everyone a basic role,
and let them flourish in it. Have fun, and be positive.

First practise is at 3 tomorrow. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Yeah I have some advice.

Middle school is like prison, don't forget that. On the first day find the biggest kid and punch him right in the teeth. Knock his ****ing braces on the sidewalk. If you don't fight, you'll be getting a wedgie every day.

Dalamon, I ref a lot of boys bball games from 7th to 12th grade. The best 7th and 8th grade teams are the ones that press the whole game. Kids that age turn the ball over so much under pressure. Press, press and press.

Spent most of practice on conditioning and fundamentals. This one annoying **** (who always acts like he's Gods gift to basketball) asked if we'd be practicing plays on today's practice

Me: "(kid), if you can't even grasp the fundamentals of a left-handed layup, or properly boxing out on rebounds, I'm not gonna show you how to run a pick and roll just yet"

/CoachDalamon

My red-shirt, who has never played ball on a team before today, was privately trained by me
For like 25 minutes of today's practice.

Real quick learner. He stopped his team from running suicides at the end of today's practice by draining free throws :') #soproud

Dalamon, I ref a lot of boys bball games from 7th to 12th grade. The best 7th and 8th grade teams are the ones that press the whole game. Kids that age turn the ball over so much under pressure. Press, press and press.

I've decided I'm much more concerned with teaching the team the basics, before I worry about winning games. These kids don't use the wings, don't rebound, have poor shot mechanics, and don't read defenses/make open passes.

Pressing is a distant goal, but one I'll definitely stay mindful of. Thanks for the advice Arch :)

Every time a shot goes up, there better be at least two guys boxing out. If not, they run laps. Period.

Rebounds = Wins.

You're not worried about winning?

I bet you're gonna be a great coach.

I'm worried about winning in the long-term; being short-sighted is a mortal flaw of not just coaching, but many positions in general.

Hahahaha, the MLM has a valid point here Dala.

I place player-development over wins. I'm not here to raise the allure of my former jr. High's bball program-- I'm here to make a difference in the kids lives, and hopefully prepare them for more competitive basketball by raisin their ceilings (instead of pressing ad-nauseum)