What's new

"I'm not a traitor"

addictionary

Says Enes Kanter of the Jazz to the Turkish newspaper Hürriyet.

Details coming up...

Here's the link (Turkish): https://www.hurriyet.com.tr/spor/basketbol/27122151.asp

Here are some headlines and major points of the interview:

kanter41114mov-3233196-1.576x324.jpg
* I have informed the Turkish Basketball Federation and their doctor about my operation. What he said afterwards was irresponsible. I am the most criticized giant in the 12 Giant Men (Turkish NT Nick) even though I wasn't playing in it for the last 2 years.

kanter2.jpg
* It went far to calling me traitor Enes, but I believe the truth will reveal itself soon.

JazzSec_Kanter_102812~0.jpg
* I will be joining my team in the trainings in the 1st or 2nd week of September. I'm looking forward to be beneficial to my NT in the years coming.

low_kobe-bryant-enes-kanter2.jpg
* We (the Jazz) want to build a strong chemistry this year and surpass last year. This of course is about playoffs. Personally I want to do the best to represent Turkey and get selected to All-Star. And most importantly, carrying a team to the championship and be the 2nd Turkish player to wear the ring.

kanter12913mov-3071110-1.576x324.jpg
* Obradovic (Fenerbahçe's coach) and Ivkovic (Efes' Coach) are two of the best in Europe and better than most NBA coaches (was that to Ty?).

kanter1714mov-3098833-1.576x324.jpg
* I have watched the lies with patience. They try to make Turkish fans distrust me. Enes is fine. His knee is fine. He uses this excuse to skip NT. He doesn't tell anything to NT. There was not an MR report by my doctor when they said my knee was OK. I am more willing than previous seasons to wear the Turkish NT jersey. I will be fully ready to join full performance matches at the end of September. Turkish Basketball Federation Chairman said the other day "We believe in Enes." Made me very happy.

My laughter tweet "hahahaha" was not for the NT, not for the people of Turkey. It was for some names, who came to their status and power by "knowing" some higher ground people and could not help get jelly about my success and talk BS back then. I pray for Allah to forgive them anyway. I will try to repair the broken hearts of young basketball fans because of that.

Kerem-Kanter.jpg
* I love watching Turkey become a force in young talent. Some really selfconfident players are getting developed. (Turkish NT's U-20, U-18 have won gold in the last tourneys) I was very happy to hear my brother Kerem chose to go to NCAA. Hope to see him perform great in the NBA in the future.

Last edited:
I think you all got it wrong.

This here was a really open hearted and humble explanatory interview of Enes which he should have done before. I understand the drama queen attitude always bores us, we just want to see basketball, but this was a necessity and an important highlight of this whole deal. And it includes bold predictions. Like being an All-Star, winning a championship. So he also put a heavy chip on his shoulder and gave everyone the right to ask him whatever happened to those predictions if he fails in the opposite way.

I wouldn't carry it here and bother translating if I haven't seen it important.

Wait, so people in turkey are calling him a "traitor" for not playing for the National Team?

I'm sorry but that is just dumb. Wow.

USA fans have questioned NBA players patriotism when they declined playing for the US several years ago (before Coach K). It happens everywhere. Fans get a little carried away with their nationalism.

PS: Turkish NT doctor has already told that he's gonna tell all details after the tournament and advised Kanter to STFU. It still seems Kanter's PR did not work quite well enough to hide the reality. In may he declared he wanna join to the NT and how he missed the atmosphere etc, in june he was so quiet about NT invitation and in july his knee needed an operation which would make him out of the court till september.

PS: Turkish NT doctor has already told that he's gonna tell all details after the tournament and advised Kanter to STFU. It still seems Kanter's PR did not work quite well enough to hide the reality. In may he declared he wanna join to the NT and how he missed the atmosphere etc, in june he was so quiet about NT invitation and in july his knee needed an operation which would make him out of the court till september.
If he is being hypocritical, that's his problem to me. And his loss. I liked watching a Turkish roster without some "this is my turf. My rules" attitude veteran guy psychologically pressuring the team. All our guys played with a clear mind. No big expectations. Only play ball. I liked it. I missed this kind of basketball in Turkish NT.

Another interview about similar issues that he gave to another newspaper for those of you that would like to read.

[h=1]Kanter rejects accusations he left basketball team in lurch[/h]
Enes Kanter, who was voted Most Valuable Player (MVP) in the 2009 FIBA Europe Under-18 »»
Enes Kanter, who was voted Most Valuable Player (MVP) in the 2009 FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship while leading Turkey’s junior national team to the bronze medal, stated that he has always been proud of serving the Turkish national basketball team, saying; “I love my county more than those who accuse me of turning my back on it.”
Speaking to Today’s Zaman, Kanter, who currently plays for the Utah Jazz in the National Basketball Association (NBA), explained that although he was awarded a place on the Turkish national basketball team for the 2013 European Championship in Slovenia and the 2014 World Cup in Spain, he could not participate because he went down with a season-ending shoulder injury during training.
“It was impossible for me to participate in the championship in Slovenia last year. In fact, I almost missed the beginning of the NBA season that was scheduled to start on Sept. 15, 2013. I underwent meniscus surgery in June. However, I kept my hopes alive that I would be able to catch the World Cup in Spain until my knee protruded two weeks before the championship started. Thus, I missed my chance to play at the World Cup because of my successive injuries. There is no other reason.”
Stating that a smear campaign was launched against him after the national team lost warm-up games before the championship, Kanter rejected accusations that he simply did not want to join the national team.
“Many people on social media have claimed that the national team lost the games because I chose not to join the squad. They created this image that I had done this on purpose. They even accused me of being a traitor for not playing for Turkey. But those claims are just false. I am in love with my country. I am honored to represent Turkey. I have always tried to be patient with any kind of slander and preferred to act with moderation according to the requirements of my culture. Those who know me also know that I have nothing to hide. I would never betray my country, as some claim,” Kanter noted.
Kanter did not participate in the 2010 FIBA World Championship held in Turkey and the team went on to finish in second place. Kanter’s father, Mehmet, told the press that he did this in order not to miss the first month of classes at Kentucky and that he had just recovered from an injury.
Before beginning his career in the United States, Kanter played for the Fenerbahçe Ülker youth division from 2006-08 and 2008–09. He made a name for himself in the youth division after playing in nine games with the team -- four in the Euroleague and five in the Turkish Basketball League -- but he decided to reject contract offers from both Fenerbahçe and Greek basketball team Olympiacos because he wanted to pursue a career in the United States.
When asked how it feels to play against world-renowned NBA stars such as Kobe Bryan, Dwight Howard and Kevin Garnet, Kanter said it was very difficult but very enjoyable as well. “When you play against those NBA stars, you see your own level. I have to keep my shoulder to the wheel in order to play at their level. I hope that many more Turkish basketball players get to enjoy the NBA someday. Playing there and representing Turkey is a great privilege,” Kanter added.
Kanter also said he was grateful to Mehmet Okur, a Turkish professional basketball player who played in the NBA, since he helped him a lot during his adaptation. “Mehmet Okur made a great impression on Americans as a Muslim Turk. People there [in the US] love and accept him the way he is. He managed to break many taboos against Muslims. Thus, his positive image helped me a lot.”
Kanter moved to the US in 2009 and played for the Stoneridge Preparatory School in the 2009-10 high school basketball season. In 2011 he started his professional career when he signed a contract with the Utah Jazz. Kanter also played for the Turkish national basketball team at EuroBasket 2011. He played in eight games, logging 17.8 minutes per game, and averaged 9.6 points and 3.9 rebounds per game.

https://mobile.todayszaman.com/news...qyYG5WblNVjUmX6sr?newsId=358449&columnistId=0