What's new

In praise of Jingle Joe

Rubbish. Don't mistake his laid-back personality for laziness. Joe works hard.
He does work hard. But he isn't and never has been a gym rat. He enjoys his free time and the off season. He spends plenty of time with his family and doing fun things. He doesn't show up to camp in great shape. Wiggins is a gym rat and is a great player for his age. He is not dumb or lazy.

It's not about work, it's about brains and athleticism. Just like Wiggins can't develop a better feel for the game through hard work, so Joe Ingles can't develop a monster vertical through hard work. Don't be fooled by folksy wisdom about inspiration and perspiration. Being in the NBA is all down to talent. Hard work plays a very small part.
Hard work does pay off. Ask Jordan or Kobe or many elite players. Wiggins is really young and developing a feel for the game. Look at what he does at his age and compare that to other elite players. Joe is a good all around player but if he worked harder he could be better and he could be more athletic. That is part of the appeal of joe to me, he is a guy that enjoys his life on and off the court.

Wiggins has worked his *** off way more than ingles. Ingles would have a better body if he worked on it. I like ingles but this is a silly claim. All reports about Wiggins his whole career is what a hard worker he is. Ingles has never been a gym rat, he has too much fun.
You say this but which one has improve more since joining the league? It's Ingles, Wiggins is the better player because he has far more natural talent, and athleticism. Joe is making the most of what he was given. I see no evidence to suggest Wiggins out works Ingles. Maybe if Wiggins spent less time working on his body and more time working on basketball skills he would have improved as much as Ingles has.

You say this but which one has improve more since joining the league? It's Ingles, Wiggins is the better player because he has far more natural talent, and athleticism. Joe is making the most of what he was given. I see no evidence to suggest Wiggins out works Ingles. Maybe if Wiggins spent less time working on his body and more time working on basketball skills he would have improved as much as Ingles has.

How much has Ingles really improved? I think it's more just his mental comfort level in the NBA. There is a whole different discussion about talent. Obviously Ingles is super talented in terms of his ability to see and feel the game and shoot the ball. You can say that is hard work, but just look at his body, he doesnt work that hard. Ingles is a basketball natural and he is 6'8 w/ a 6'10 wingspan, he has a better frame than any of our other wings.

Body is really the only way an outsider can judge hard work IMO. Some players have skill levels and it doesnt matter how hard they work, it gets to a point where we really wont see improvement or proof of the work they are doing. You can see a player's body and see how much work they put in. Id venture Ingles workout regimen is closer to Boris Diaw than Gordon Hayward.

Body is really the only way an outsider can judge hard work IMO. Some players have skill levels and it doesnt matter how hard they work, it gets to a point where we really wont see improvement or proof of the work they are doing. You can see a player's body and see how much work they put in. Id venture Ingles workout regimen is closer to Boris Diaw than Gordon Hayward.
If a guys body was all there was to basketball then you'd have a point. But it is not.

If a guys body was all there was to basketball then you'd have a point. But it is not.

Look at Larry Bird. Aside from him being tall, no one would ever imagine he would be as good as he was. They said he was slow but I saw him take James Worthy, a forward known for his quickness, off the dribble. He couldn't jump but he had uncanny timing. I remember him outrebounding guys like 7-1 Caldwell Jones and even Kareem, who was at least 7-3, ask Mark Eaton. He had quick hands and reactions, just ask Isaiah Thomas. It was probably more that he could think fast, and this might be the talent that Ingles possesses.

I prefer to judge production on the court and an increase in such production.

It's also about contract length. If Hayward re-signs at the max, I think Utah can't really afford to have Ingles on the team for more than 2 more years. Jazz are going to need a boatload of money to re-sign Favs, then Hood, then try to keep Dante and Lyles. Exum not doing much to earn a huge contract, but there's always going to be a team willing to overpay based on his size and potential. So I see Utah having to match a sizeable offer. And same for Lyles.

He does work hard. But he isn't and never has been a gym rat. He enjoys his free time and the off season. He spends plenty of time with his family and doing fun things. He doesn't show up to camp in great shape.
Absolute 100% rubbish. He absolutely is a gym rat.

Last season ended on the Wednesday, he finished his team commitments on Saturday, arrived back home on the following Monday and was in the gym working out Tuesday morning.

His wife is an elite athlete too, the captain of the Australian netball team. Their time together includes working out at the same gym (which caters to elite athletes, including other Australian reps). Hell, they even did a workout DURING THEIR HONEYMOON.

He's also not a party animal.

You literally don't know what you are talking about.

Absolute 100% rubbish. He absolutely is a gym rat.

Last season ended on the Wednesday, he finished his team commitments on Saturday, arrived back home on the following Monday and was in the gym working out Tuesday morning.

His wife is an elite athlete too, the captain of the Australian netball team. Their time together includes working out at the same gym (which caters to elite athletes, including other Australian reps). Hell, they even did a workout DURING THEIR HONEYMOON.

He's also not a party animal.

You literally don't know what you are talking about.
I never called him a party animal or lazy.

I'm sure he works hard, most NBA players do. He is just not on the same level as Wiggins. That kid has been a work animal. Just like Kobe, Jordan and Durant. He is a gym rat. First one to practice, last one to leave. That is not Ingles. Ingles also likes to have fun at workouts and seems happy all around, e takes his tone off to be with his family, he does get his workouts in but he is not living in the gym like some others do. It's not a knock on him. Just pointing out it's silly to call Wiggins dumb and lazy and that being an athlete is the only reason he is good. Reports have never shown him to be on the same level as Wiggins. There are many elite athletes that don't make it in the NBA or even make it to the NBA. Wiggins feel, understanding and dedication is why he was a 20 point per game scorer as a 20 year old. Having athleticism helps him but some of that is from his own dedication.

I think Joe needs to be praised again after hitting that game-winning three:

Jingle Joe, Jingle Joe, jingle all the way
Oh what fun it is to watch,
A three-pointer on the way,
Hey ...
Jingle Joe, Jingle Joe, jingle all the way
Oh what fun it is to watch,
A three-pointer on the way.

Passing Alley-oops
The Slo-oh-mo lay-ups
Bantering with opponents
Keeping Dante calm