What's new

"In retrospect, King won the Williams' trade in a landslide."

But if the Nets end up in the luxury tax, Prokhorov will have to pay a penalty. Take it out of his deep Russian pockets and into the hands of American owners. It would decrease the trade deficit and improve the economy. Win for fat cats!

Fixed.

pic-4f276dcf406a9f4c448e0e43ada0384d-middle.jpg

Honestly, Humphries/Lopez is one of the worst frontcourt duos in the NBA.

I mean, our team is just as bad on defense, but at least our guys rebounds.

Humphries is one of the best rebounders in the NBA. I think Lopez will be better at it this year as well.

Humphries is one of the best rebounders in the NBA. I think Lopez will be better at it this year as well.
They have a 2-yr window. After that, the luxuiry tax is really going to kill them. Unless, of course, they can get a sucker to take on the Wallace contract and then replace him and Krissy with a couple of minimum salary vets who want to play in Brooklyn for a shot at a title. Hey, not every vet can sign with Miami or LA...it just seems that way.

If the Jazz had a different coach, this would be a much different discussion.

Favors - 21 mpg...

The author agrees with you I think:

"Favors and Kanter both have unquestioned potential to become solid NBA bigs, but remaining behind Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap on the depth chart has surely stunted their development. "

Balderdash. Ant time your point guard is making the max, you are in trouble. Unless he is Magic Johnson. Deron was a good maybe great player, but he wasn't the central building block to championship team. Any guy who isn't that, is making a max salary, and may not stick around, especially in a small market NEEDS to be traded if you can get equal or superior value. We certainly did that, so we won. Have the writer get back to us in two years when the Nets are fighting for the 4th playoff slot in salary cap Hell, and the Jazz are at parity record-wise with young talent and cap space (or possibly Max talent at a position that wins championships.) Some NBA teams have been trying to get to where the Jazz are at for a decade. It took us two years. KOC earns his money.

So I guess I am a hack. Three other people just said the same thing while I typed the last response. I would rep you all if I actually possessed the ability.

I am learning the art of the cheap, stat-padding reply. I will arrive at respectability soon.

Lets see they got dwill and perpetual wrist problems we got two young studs in the front court. If thats winning in jersey i have some more things to trade

From my Damn phone

They may have kept D-Will, but they are not real contenders. Destined to be like Atlanta, a perennial 4-6 seed in the East who can't get past the 2nd round. They are too bogged down with bad contracts. I guess that beats not getting D-Will and being at the bottom of the East.

Deron Williams

for

Derrick Favors #3 pick in 2010
Enes Kanter #3 pick in 2011
Marvin Williams
Golden State's 2013 first-round pick

Marvin Williams was also the #2 pick 2005 and hasn't reached his full potential yet and I think a change of scenery is exactly what he needed and the expectations are not near as high as they were in Atlanta. Golden State's pick is top 6 protected this year which is still pretty good considering the top-10 for the draft this year is going to be stronger than this years.

You tell me who won the trade? Deron Williams wasn't going to re-sign here anyways so it was smart of KOC to get something for him and we got a future all-star in Favors who will be the Jazz best player in a year or two and Kanter who has a lot of potential to be a good starting center in this league. Brooklyn will be lucky to be in the top-three in the East and since the Nets missed out on Dwight Howard their team doesn't look so great with a massively overpaid Joe Johnson and they also overpaid for Gerald Wallace, Brook Lopez, and Kris Kardashian.

Jazz won this trade in my opinion.

Both sides "won". I would say the Nets are the bigger winners because they achieved what they set out to do, get and retain a superstar who could attract other superstars. Dwill got Dwight saying "only Brookyln" for a pretty long time and they only had to give up 2 high risk/high reward big men, a washed up PG, and a future late lottery pick to get it.

I can guarantee you one thing: The Nets' front office has lost a lot more sleep than the Jazz's front office since the trade went down.

The Nets dodged a bullet and narrowly avoided disaster, but they got their superstar re-signed. As of right now, they have a sure thing, while Utah has a lot of potential. That doesn't mean that Utah lost, because we're better off than if we had gambled and lost him for nothing, but as of right now, they have a star and we don't. You can try and rationalize all you want, and it's definately possible that we will be much better than them in the future, but it isn't a sure thing by any means.

We could have "won" this trade more if we chose wiser when we had their #3 overall pick.

Too soon to say this for sure, but it's possible. Also, trading Al at the right time to keep the GS pick could have been huge as well.

Interesting article on Nets' GM Billy King... I am not sure I agree with the author, but given that the Nets' were able to keep Deron Williams and then surround him with a pretty decent starting unit, who won the trade. Personally, I think it is still too early and this season will determine a lot. While the Nets have potential to be championship contenders in the East for the next 2-3 seasons, I think Utah is in better position to be a mediocre playoff team now but competing for a title in 3 seasons. Jazz in 2016!!!

https://basketball.realgm.com/blog/222406/The_Risk_Filled_Tenure_Of_Billy_King

I love how perception's greater than reality. Williams has played a season and a half there and done little to nothing to improve the team so far as wins and losses go. Meanwhile, we made the playoffs last year in the wild, wild west, despite losing this media-anointed stud. Brooklyn needs to not only win more games. They need to win playoff games. And with their roster constructed as it is currently, I think that's easier said than done.

In brief, this writer needs to get a ****ing clue because Favors will be the best player in this deal.