What's new

Independent View on Hayward DX video

Wow. Great video. For everyone who thinks he was in Cleveland - it was false. He wasn't even there. His agent was blowing smoke to pump up his value

Yeah, they kind of glossed Hayward's robot clone army in the video. Not sure if really makes a stronger or weaker case for him, but kind of a unique element.

pretty good analysis although i found it odd how they first talked about his spot-up shooting as a strength, then as a weakness.
also agree it marked him a bit hard defensively. he might lack some length but makes up for it often with exceptional defensive timing, especially in transition. i would probably nominate his transition D as a big positive.

a bit of a better defender than given credit for in this video-- otherwise, very accurate.

Still baffles me how he hasn't started working on a post-game. What in the ****, Gordon Hayward. League SGs are getting smaller, he should be feasting them.

No ****.

Corbin tried to post him up a bit early on last season and Hayward's slow first step led to not a lot more than those fade-aways highlighted in the first couple minutes of that video.

Yeah, Hayward needs a better post-up game not only considering his height, but his passing ability. But his moves suck. He'll either take a crappy fade-away or dribble in a circle and get stuck under the basket. He just doesn't have any touch.

This analysis was pretty spot-on.

His lack of explosiveness is a killer.

Do I think Hayward is a max money guy. No. Do I think any NBA player is worth what they get. No. Point is he will be payed what the market dictates. The Jazz need pay somebody. If not Hayward then who?

Do I think Hayward is a max money guy. No. Do I think any NBA player is worth what they get. No. Point is he will be payed what the market dictates. The Jazz need pay somebody. If not Hayward then who?

I think your question was rhetorical but I'll answer anyway. Parsons. Go hard after Parsons.

Those videos are just clickbait and meaningless. They are fun for basketball nerds like us to watch. Hayward's D being categorized as a weakness is moronic.

He is still adding weight/strength and as he continues in that area a lot of his deficiencies on offense that the video and some on here nitpicked will improve ten-fold. I saw huge strides this past season from the season before from Hayward. He isn't worth the max as a proven superstar/all-star may be, but he's worth the money he will get (10+ per) because his ceiling is pretty special and he's shown flashes already.

Hayward's D being categorized as a weakness is moronic.

Agreed. They didn't reference his chase-down blocks, which are all-NBA, IMO.

However, that the video lists youth as a strength is laughable. Being young may be an advantage, as is experience, but it shouldn't be listed a s a strength along with passing ability; not like he worked on being young. That will change.

Hayward is a fine player, In the right system he would be lethal with his offensive intelligence. However, thanks to Coach Corbin's retarded lobster schemes on both offense and defense, nobody looked good. Except Diante Garret. It should say something that the whole league is interested in him. Face it, if he played for the twolves, we would love him. I hope that the Jazz are able to keep him, and if they are that Coach Snyder's offense uses him well. He's a good kid, most fans would be psyched if he was on their team. Price notwithstanding.

Utah can write one year deals if your concern is reaching the floor. They can also take back more salary in trades while acquiring assets in the process. Overpaying on a multi-year deal is a bad idea and bad business in a position like Utah is in now, unless you only care about selling tickets. If you're main purpose is to build a team that has a chance to contend, you don't overpay Hayward during the first stages of a rebuild.

Utah can write one year deals if your concern is reaching the floor. They can also take back more salary in trades while acquiring assets in the process. Overpaying on a multi-year deal is a bad idea and bad business in a position like Utah is in now, unless you only care about selling tickets. If you're main purpose is to build a team that has a chance to contend, you don't overpay Hayward during the first stages of a rebuild.
Can we make a front loaded contract for Hayward to fill the cap a little bit more this year? Could CBA experts of the Jazzfanz comment about this? I'd like that kind of deal better if we are really gonna overpay Hayward.

And, does anyone know if a reverse poison pill contract is doable or not? Like a huge first year payment then smaller salaries the next years?

This. The idea that you waste cap space by over paying a player solely because you have cap space is a bad way of doing things. While nobody can predict the future it's a low percentage move to make. The train of thought "If not Hayward then who" is shortsighted as you have no idea who will or won't be available.

i thought the rebuild was supposed to end this summer when all the bad contracts expire, you have a lot of cap space and dl can build his dream team, especially when this off-season a lot of good players are available, including all-star players

of wait, let's take some more salaries back

Actually what I do for 75% of all DX videos. Let positivity and optimism reign.

Explains the Erin Gordon love ;)

Can we make a front loaded contract for Hayward to fill the cap a little bit more this year? Could CBA experts of the Jazzfanz comment about this? I'd like that kind of deal better if we are really gonna overpay Hayward.

And, does anyone know if a reverse poison pill contract is doable or not? Like a huge first year payment then smaller salaries the next years?

Allowed salary changes are 7.5% annually over the duration of a contract. Doubt Hayward would do this.

a bit of a better defender than given credit for in this video-- otherwise, very accurate.

Still baffles me how he hasn't started working on a post-game. What in the ****, Gordon Hayward. League SGs are getting smaller, he should be feasting on them.
This. Anyone remember a game last season vs. the Clippers. CP3 somehow ended up defending Hayward on a few consecutive possessions...a complete mismatch in favor of Hayward right? Hayward tried backing down the diminutive Paul only to come up empty. Summary of Gordon Hayward's career post up game highlights...pathetic.

This. Anyone remember a game last season vs. the Clippers. CP3 somehow ended up defending Hayward on a few consecutive possessions...a complete mismatch in favor of Hayward right? Hayward tried backing down the diminutive Paul only to come up empty. Summary of Gordon Hayward's career post up game highlights...pathetic.

Kevin Durant had teh same problem vs. CP3, so yeah, maybe a harder post-matchup than you are giving it credit for being.

Kevin Durant had teh same problem vs. CP3, so yeah, maybe a harder post-matchup than you are giving it credit for being.
Cp3 is surprisingly strong defending in the post

Cp3 is surprisingly strong defending in the post

Refs definitely let him get away with more pushing and ball swiping than they would bigger defenders.

It takes time to develop a post game though. How long did it take Lebron to finally get one? 8 years?