What's new

Interesting Article on ACL Recovery

Jazz Punk Rocker

Contributor
Grantland posted an article about a young MLB pitcher that tore is ACL during spring training (mid March) and is now pitching in AAA and should join the Blue Jays rotation in the new couple weeks. From the time he got injured to now being back pitching in AAA was only 5 months. It's a pretty interesting read and just reaffirms the progress ACL surgery has made in the last several years. Hopefully Exum gets a similar story next year :)

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-mlb-toronto-blue-jays-marcus-stroman-acl-recovery/

I could see him getting limited minutes in late February or March. But Dante at less than 100% is probably a negative for the Jazz, especially if his shooting has not improved. If the Jazz are fighting for the playoffs, I'll bet DL will be working the phones at the trade deadline trying to bring in a veteran.

Wholly Crap, It's JPR!

I'm sure you've actually been around and I just hadn't seen it. Just last time I really remember seeing a post by you it was about going to Standford (I think) and posting links to and about Flogging Molly or Gaslight Anthem.

It does make you wonder if the Jazz will just sit him the year so he is completely rested and healthy or let him play come Feb.

one huge advantage is that exum is not going able to be in shape to cut but he will be able to shoot so hopefully that will get better while he rehabs

While great and encouraging news. A pitcher in Baseball is a far cry from a PG in the NBA. No offense to baseball pitchers intended, but the use of your ACL while cutting, jumping and changing directions in basketball seems like a lot more chance to reinjure it than pitching. I'm guessing that the recovery needs to be extended a bit for the different sports.
It is still amazing how far ACL treatment has come. Years ago a torn ACL seems like it was basically the end of a basketball career. Now guys get better in 7 Months and are running in an NFL game or 5 months and pitching baseball.

Exum won't play in 2015/16. I can't think of one NBA player who has came back from this in a shorter span than a year.

It is still amazing how far ACL treatment has come. Years ago a torn ACL seems like it was basically the end of a basketball career. Now guys get better in 7 Months and are running in an NFL game or 5 months and pitching baseball.

Indeed. I think from everything I have read regarding Exum's injury, he should be more than good to go once healed.

one huge advantage is that exum is not going able to be in shape to cut but he will be able to shoot so hopefully that will get better while he rehabs

Chance to work on upper body strength as he grows into his body too. Looking for silver lining.

Look at MJ upper body development in offseason between loss to Pistons (where he got manhandled) and first championship. Isiah's Pistons created the Bulls dynasty.

Wholly Crap, It's JPR!

I'm sure you've actually been around and I just hadn't seen it. Just last time I really remember seeing a post by you it was about going to Standford (I think) and posting links to and about Flogging Molly or Gaslight Anthem.

It does make you wonder if the Jazz will just sit him the year so he is completely rested and healthy or let him play come Feb.

I read all the time but just never really post anymore. And now the Gaslight Anthem are on hiatus, Get Hurt may be their last album ever :(

From a confidence/development standpoint, I don't really like the idea of babying guys. If his knee is structurally sound in 6-8 months, at least get him back into full contact practices. Gotta get back on that saddle.

Nate Robinson, 9 months. Surgery on January 31st, 2014, played October 30th.

Here's a video of him dunking less than 6 months after injury: https://fansided.com/2014/08/16/nate-robinson-dunking-6-months-tearing-acl-video/

Not sure when Exum actually had his surgery, but allowing a week or so for the swelling to go down would mean 9 months post-surgery is around mid-April. Could he be back for the playoffs? Perhaps. But it's not like he's a superstar. At that point, the PG's we have would almost certainly be better than a rusty, tentative Dante.

If we're sniffing the playoffs and we don't have two decent PG's - i.e. Burke making a major leap from season 2 to 3 and one of Neto or Cotton playing very well as a backup, I think DL will be looking to trade for a vet PG at the deadline.

ACL recovery has advanced a lot the past decade...but I'd be shocked if Exum saw any playing time this season. I only hope he can get his strength up and be ready for next season. I'd like to see him in some practices towards the end of the season though

The psychological factor for Exum is almost just as big. He never seemed like the most confident kid out on the court when it came to the physical aspect of the game. How's he gonna be in trying to come back from this?

ACL recovery has advanced a lot the past decade...but I'd be shocked if Exum saw any playing time this season. I only hope he can get his strength up and be ready for next season. I'd like to see him in some practices towards the end of the season though

Since he just had his surgery today, I think we can safely say he's not going to play this season. Eight months would be first of May. Doubtful he'd see any practice time where he risks contact at six or seven months. He'll be doing shooting drills and light running.

The psychological factor for Exum is almost just as big. He never seemed like the most confident kid out on the court when it came to the physical aspect of the game. How's he gonna be in trying to come back from this?
Agree. That's a huge concern for a player who shied away from contact his entire first year. It wasn't a given he'd be our PGOTF after his historically bad offensive year. I'll bet DL is actively seeking a trade at the deadline to bring in a quality PG.