What's new

Interesting trade idea from Locke

Another option:

Trade AK in basically a salary dump (e.g., New Jersey); re-sign Boozer; draft a potential superstar wing (George, Aminu, Babbit). That gives the Jazz a core of Williams, Boozer and a superstar wing with Miles, Matthews and Millsap. Yes, the Jazz need to develop Fess, Koufos and Tomic for the 5 spot along with Okur. I would also re-sign Korver unless we think the new wing is ready to shoot lights out and play some real defense this year. If the Jazz can't re-sign Boozer, then start Millsap and pick up a FA back-up at PF.

If AK isn't giving us much and he's costing us the ability to sign Boozer or another FA that the Jazz need, you gotta let him go at the first chance and seize this opportunity to replace him with a superstar wing in this draft. The Jazz aren't going to realistically draft a player who can replace Boozer or become a starting PF/C where they are in this draft. I would be willing to draft Whiteside and give him a try, but the Jazz still need an impact player at the wing, and if they see one in this draft they should take him.
No thanks I would rather not bring back the same team for even more money.

I agree... trading Millsap is not something I would like to see happen. If, as the thread title suggests, we can move AK and the #9 for Brand and the #2, then I think you operate under the assumption that Millsap is your starter and Brand is working to become the 6th man of the year. If I were running the front office and I had the #2 pick, then I'd be working to make sure that NJ thought we were going to pick who they wanted and move for a trade down and another pick. Basically, I'd take either Favors or Turner, but try to pick up NJ's #27 in the process (maybe we have to throw in a future pick). I really think we have the assets to turn that lower pick into a mid-first.

No thanks I would rather not bring back the same team for even more money.

If we dump AK, it's not the same team for more money. It's the same team + a hotshot rookie at the wing for less money. The following year Memo comes off the books and we bring in Tomic.

Williams, Matthews/Miles, George/Aminu/Babbit, Boozer/Millsap, Fess/Okur/Tomic is probably the closest to a truly contending team that the Jazz can get. Williams, Boozer and the wing are our big three, and we have a nice 9-man rotation. The problem with the Jazz is the money they're paying AK and the fact that he doesn't show up (one way or another).

I agree... trading Millsap is not something I would like to see happen. If, as the thread title suggests, we can move AK and the #9 for Brand and the #2, then I think you operate under the assumption that Millsap is your starter and Brand is working to become the 6th man of the year. If I were running the front office and I had the #2 pick, then I'd be working to make sure that NJ thought we were going to pick who they wanted and move for a trade down and another pick. Basically, I'd take either Favors or Turner, but try to pick up NJ's #27 in the process (maybe we have to throw in a future pick). I really think we have the assets to turn that lower pick into a mid-first.

Do you really think Philly would give up the #2 pick in this draft for AK and 9? They'd be giving up Turner or Favors for AK and probably Paul George or Ekepe Udoh.

Do you really think Philly would give up the #2 pick in this draft for AK and 9? They'd be giving up Turner or Favors for AK and probably Paul George or Ekepe Udoh.

No, I don't.
I'm just riffing off of the Locke's idea. However, I don't think it is inconceivable since Brand's contract is bad, and I think both parties would like to part ways.

AK's expiring will look good to somebody with a man-crush on Melo, who will be a free agent after next year. If Philly thought they could get a good player at #9, plus knowing that their own pick next year would look pretty good and net them a good rookie, plus be legitimate players in the '11 class, then things look pretty good, actually. I think they are legit with those three players running alongside Iggy, Speights, etc.

NJ is looking to make a splash. I'd love having some leverage against what they are hoping to do.

Can we please stop calling this Locke's idea? As others have noted, this exact scenario was offered up on other NBA message boards and in several other places before it was posted here; the minute the 76ers indicated that they might trade the #2 to offload Brand's contract, hundreds of NBA fans were checking the trade machine to see whose salary might match Brand's.... That's all I have to contribute. Otherwise, I'm enjoying reading the thread. Keep it up.

If we dump AK, it's not the same team for more money. It's the same team + a hotshot rookie at the wing for less money. The following year Memo comes off the books and we bring in Tomic.

Williams, Matthews/Miles, George/Aminu/Babbit, Boozer/Millsap, Fess/Okur/Tomic is probably the closest to a truly contending team that the Jazz can get. Williams, Boozer and the wing are our big three, and we have a nice 9-man rotation. The problem with the Jazz is the money they're paying AK and the fact that he doesn't show up (one way or another).

That is a nice team on paper. Even assuming the rookie wing will be a star though, we are still faced with a hopelessly bad defensive frontcourt and losing AK will make it even worse. Tomic is certainly no defensive force he is averaging less than a block a game and would be a better fit to replace Boozer than trying to plug in at center. The Jazz shouldn't draft ALdrich or Whiteside out of need, because they aren't that good I agree, but they should be doing eveything possible to get Favors. You have to think adding Milsap in that Brand deal would tip the scale in our "favor".

AK + Milsap + #9 FOR Brand + Kapono + #2

I think Philly starts considering us now. Losing Milsap and taking on a pretty much worthless contract in Kapono hurts us but we have the most important piece needed for a championship team, a center.
Things tend to fall into place once you have a good big man. With AK gone and Brand on the books, we obvioulsy need to s&t Booz for a solid SF, like Deng or Beasley. We can probably weasel a pick out of Chicago or get a decent filler in Miami's case to make salaries match. Okur will now split time at PF with PF being his primary position. Yes mobile PF's will kill us but luckily Favors is waiting to challenge anyone who gets by him.

DWill/Price/Gaines
Matthews/CJ
Deng/Kapono
Okur/Brand/Tomic (2012)
Favors/Fes/Koufas

That lineup would probably only get us 45 wins next year, but for the long run think its pretty beastly especially in two years when Favors has developed and Tomic comes over.

DWill/Price/Gaines
Matthews/CJ
Deng/Kapono
Okur/Brand/Tomic (2012)
Favors/Fes/Koufas

bankruptcy_court.jpg

I suggest you bust out your calculator on this squad.

Again this was Philly coming out and saying that they would be willing to trade the #2 pick if someone would take back Brands contract. Now getting them interested in what we have to offer isn't that far of a stretch because AK's contract is expiring and they still get a loto pick at #9. Plus put themselves in a better position to sign FA next year.

Again this was Philly coming out and saying that they would be willing to trade the #2 pick if someone would take back Brands contract. Now getting them interested in what we have to offer isn't that far of a stretch because AK's contract is expiring and they still get a loto pick at #9. Plus put themselves in a better position to sign FA next year.

exactly. This is a realistic trade, IMO.

If I remember right, it was Chad Ford coming out and saying Philly might look into trading the #2 if it got Brand off their hands. I believe Philly has denied such thoughts.

If I remember right, it was Chad Ford coming out and saying Philly might look into trading the #2 if it got Brand off their hands. I believe Philly has denied such thoughts.

I remember Chad Ford reporting it. But I have also read in a couple of papers covering the 76ers that this was put out there. Most of the time the team always denies these type of rumors, but at least half of the time they are true.