What's new

Is Exum timid or are we slowing his development

Mission Accomplished

We have seen what he can do. But, it seems like he either has been told to stay on the perimeter or that he is scared of contact. He does seem to have the "IT" factor. But, do we have the capabilities to get him to bring that every game or is it an Exum thing that he needs to work on?

He is doing exactly what he is being told to do and as a result playing way too carefully. Basically he's being coached out of being effective or having an impact. It's one thing to start him off slowly, but i think it's time for coach to let him play a little. Same goes for a few others. It's one thing to have an offensive system, but it's ridiculous to not tailor some plays to each players strengths.

He is doing exactly what he is being told to do and as a result playing way too carefully. Basically he's being coached out of being effective or having an impact. It's one thing to start him off slowly, but i think it's time for coach to let him play a little. Same goes for a few others. It's one thing to have an offensive system, but it's ridiculous to not tailor some plays to each players strengths.

I agree with this. I think he needs to make a few more drives a game where he looks to finish. Someone needs to tell him that no one on the second team can hit shots so don't drive and kick. He reminds of the days when you were playing basketball video games back in the day... you would drive and as you were going up for a dunk or finish you'd hit the wrong button and pass midway through the jump.

Whatever it is coaching or confidence... someone needs to tell him to throw a couple more of those shots up instead of passing. I think he is oversimplifying to avoid making decisions as he goes.

I do like the guy and think he has great potential... I've been really encouraged by him at times.

I actually think the way they're bringing him along is smart. He's playing with patience and building confidence slowly. Since it's not on him to score he can pay more attention to the plays and how things develop. Less pressure on him means that he can process NBA-level action and learn his adjustments. He will have an impact soon enough.

Why the urgency.
He's only 19.
There are already 3 of the top 7 picks out for the season.
Why risk getting him hurt by pushing him too hard.

I think Exum is focusing on D first. Which is good but he needs to given a little more rope on offense to attack the basket.

It's not him. He certainly doesn't look scared out there. Most of the time his actions look planned and calculated. If he's scared of anything, it's deviating from doing what he's been told to do. I think the Jazz are not only taking his development slow, but are, foolishly I think, trying to teach him SG skills in anticipation of playing time conflict with Burke. They want him to learn to bring the ball up, but after that, he's supposed to pass the ball to a veteran guy and play the wing. Unless you really think he's spontaneously deciding not to run plays and to just pass the ball as soon as he gets to the frontcourt, which is absurd. He's clearly being told to do that.

I think the Jazz are teaching him to defer. While allowing players with significantly lower ceilings like Hayward, Ingles, and Burke to be our creators. How many end of hame shots has Exum got or was even on the court. I seeBurke and Hayward as the new Marvin Williams and Richard Jefferson of our team. We are so focused on developing them that we aren't challenging our one potential star. Hayward has devolved right back to the mediocre player he has always been

He doesn't have anything on offense he can feel comfortable with yet. He is too weak to finish at the rim, and has no inbetween game (floaters).
The spacing isn't great on the second unit either though, he doesn't have a JJ Reddick or Affallo waiting behind the three point line to pass to.

Kid is timid as **** but the kid is a god damn kid. He's got years of credit with me.

He's damn conservative, i.e., doesn't want to make a mistake, so he tries to make the absolute best play on every possession. He gives up the ball early as if to say, "there, my tenure with the ball was perfect...you do something with it now." I saw Quin getting on him for not taking the ball to the basket tonight.

He's damn conservative, i.e., doesn't want to make a mistake, so he tries to make the absolute best play on every possession. He gives up the ball early as if to say, "there, my tenure with the ball was perfect...you do something with it now." I saw Quin getting on him for not taking the ball to the basket tonight.

Surely that says something about the coach and how he is using him that the player is playing like that after 20 games ???

I love Exum. He's going to be a great player. You guys really shouldn't worry about him. He'll figure it out.

Surely that says something about the coach and how he is using him that the player is playing like that after 20 games ???

Maybe it just tells you that a 19 year old rookie who's previous highest level of competition was against a bunch of Kangaroo-banging Austrailian HS'ers probably isn't going to be able to do much in the NBA right away and their is a high chance of being overwhelmed quickly.

I don't know. I think the Jazz have made a strategic error in their development of Exum. They need to run some iso plays specifically for him. Let him fail. But like you said, it's only been 20 games. Maybe it will pay off in the long-run.

I wish he would take a couple more chances a game. With risk comes reward. Kid has a ton of ability. It seemed to piss Kanter off tonight he wasn't moving with the ball when they had that 5 on 4.

I wish he would take a couple more chances a game. With risk comes reward. Kid has a ton of ability. It seemed to piss Kanter off tonight he wasn't moving with the ball when they had that 5 on 4.

Ironic seeing that Kanter doesn't move the ball when he is double-teamed in the post.

I don't get to watch often, but the 25-30% of games I have seen, I don't see anything that tells me Exum is scared--body language. Everybody agrees that he makes plays from time to time that show great amounts of confidence.