What's new

Is Mo An Upgrade?

gomretat

After acquiring Mo I commented how much I liked the energy he plays with and that I am glad to have him back. I also mentioned that I am sure there will be plenty of games that this board rips him a new one just as was done with Harris. Since then I have found it informative that not one national publication/commentator that I have read or listened to thinks he an upgrade over Harris. The only area he gets higher marks is shooting. Most I have heard can't figure out why KOC brought him in and let Harris go. Comments such as worse defender, doesn't get in the paint as well, not a true PG etc have been the norm when comparing him to Harris. Just curious what the reaction is to the after the fact trade analysis.

I am wondering about some of this myself. The one thing that I think he has is toughness. Yes, that's been beaten to death, but watching Harris out there sometimes it seems that he would kind of float and not really push for a while, then he would turn in on in spurts. If Mo can shoot well, run a pick and roll and brings consistent energy, I think it's an upgrade. Remember, Harris allowed his team tanking to destroy his zeal for the game, whereas Mo continued to fight regardless of who he was playing with or how they did.

I think it's a change more than an upgrade. If we put the ball in haywards hands more, mo will be better suited to play off of that.

Neither guy strikes me as a long term or even jazz mold pg.

Plus, we will finally have someone to take technicals. That should be an extra .25 points a night right there.

After acquiring Mo I commented how much I liked the energy he plays with and that I am glad to have him back. I also mentioned that I am sure there will be plenty of games that this board rips him a new one just as was done with Harris. Since then I have found it informative that not one national publication/commentator that I have read or listened to thinks he an upgrade over Harris. The only area he gets higher marks is shooting. Most I have heard can't figure out why KOC brought him in and let Harris go. Comments such as worse defender, doesn't get in the paint as well, not a true PG etc have been the norm when comparing him to Harris. Just curious what the reaction is to the after the fact trade analysis.

And I think shooting is a huge upgrade on a team that is one of the worst team last year in 3pt shooting.

Like it or not, our team is now an inside-out team. Relying on Jefferson/Millsap/Favors/Kanter for scoring inside (whereas a team like OKC relies more on its wing players making plays, hitting mid-range/3pt shots).

And in order for those bigs to operate properly inside (without getting double teamed), we need 3 point shooting. Period. (Think Orlando Magic with Dwight & shooters).

To me in terms of the talent level, Harris & Mo are probably neck & neck. But Mo's shooting ability is going to fit so much better with the pieces that we have and the system that we run that it'll make our team better a whole.

That's kinda always been my opinion is at best it will be a wash if Mo's "toughness" can make up for the area's he's lacking compared to Harris, like has been said his shooting hasn't been questioned in regards to Harris's shooting. I'm also hoping his leadership (part of the toughness) will help the team gel and play overall better, I think him knowing he's welcome and wanted (so he's not looking over his shoulder or thinking he may be traded) like I kind of got the feeling Harris had since he arrived will also help. I kind of felt Harris got a raw deal a bit and some of that may be his own fault but fans and media were looking to trade him as soon as he came to town combined that with NJ's losing mentality beating him down over the years he couldn't overcome it and ultimately lead him to not fully "buying" in and also lead him out of town.

If you look at it Memo for Mo and Devin for Marvin as a whole I think it does make the Jazz better and more of a well rounded team.

That's kinda always been my opinion is at best it will be a wash if Mo's "toughness" can make up for the area's he's lacking compared to Harris, like has been said his shooting hasn't been questioned in regards to Harris's shooting. I'm also hoping his leadership (part of the toughness) will help the team gel and play overall better, I think him knowing he's welcome and wanted (so he's not looking over his shoulder or thinking he may be traded) like I kind of got the feeling Harris had since he arrived will also help. I kind of felt Harris got a raw deal a bit and some of that may be his own fault but fans and media were looking to trade him as soon as he came to town combined that with NJ's losing mentality beating him down over the years he couldn't overcome it and ultimately lead him to not fully "buying" in and also lead him out of town.

If you look at it Memo for Mo and Devin for Marvin as a whole I think it does make the Jazz better and more of a well rounded team.

Are you rappin' ??

LOL

I think it's a change more than an upgrade. If we put the ball in haywards hands more, mo will be better suited to play off of that.

Neither guy strikes me as a long term or even jazz mold pg.

Plus, we will finally have someone to take technicals. That should be an extra .25 points a night right there.

I'd agree with this, And I do think that Williams is a slight upgrade because of his shooting but I don't really think hes too big of a difference then Harris. Honestly, I'm so happy for the change, there wasn't really anything I liked about Harris as a Jazzman.

And how many national publications know a damned thing about the Jazz? Most of them can't even find the state of Salt Lake on the map.

Yes, Harris is a better PG if you don't run set plays. Harris is better at driving the lane. I disagree that Harris a better defender. He MAY have been a better defender a few years ago. But watching him, I don't see anything special. And I don't think he's as fast as he used to be. The problem with that is that his game relies on speed.

On the other hand, Mo is smaller, but more physical. He's not going to try to beat you off the dribble, he'll throw a pass inside or run the P&R and take a jumper if left uncovered. We've got Burks and Hayward to drive and dish. And Mo will glady stay at the arc and take kick-outs if the defense collapses. Raja, in his first stint with the Jazz, made a living doing that.

Who was the team leader last season? Long pause...
Well, Millsap by example and probably Howard in voice. There is absolutely zero doubt Mo will be the team leader this year. And that is what the team has been lacking since the days before Deron became a whiny ^&%$#.

I don't think Mo is an upgrade over Harris. I'm not too excited about this change. Mo can shoot and run the offense decently which I'm okay with but, I really think Harris is a better overall player. I think more than anything this was politically motivated. Harris maybe wasn't happy, he was in trade rumors all this year. I just think that when it comes time to play this fall, everybody will be hating on Mo more so than they did Devin. Devin, when playing his BEST basketball this season will be much more effective than what Mo will be like at his best. I think the inconsistency and lack of effort at most times pissed off KOC, and sparked this transaction. He knows Mo will be a better professional and more of a leader than Devin. I counted numerous times when Devin was bickering with Hayward as well.

And how many national publications know a damned thing about the Jazz? Most of them can't even find the state of Salt Lake on the map.
This.

To me in terms of the talent level, Harris & Mo are probably neck & neck. But Mo's shooting ability is going to fit so much better with the pieces that we have and the system that we run that it'll make our team better as a whole.
And definitely This. Mo (and to a lesser extent, Marv) address our need for outside shooters. We can now keep the defence spread and run a balanced offence.

I get that the national media doesn't necessarily know much about the Jazz or in fact most teams that aren't contending. However, Mo and Devin have been around enough that they do have a pretty good sense of who those two are. FWIW, if Mo is an upgrade as an outside shooter and a downgrade at the other areas folks are suggesting, this is a bad move. Shooting alone doesn't come close to compensating for the other deficits. I hope KOC and his team knew what they were doing on this one.

We are a better TEAM with Mo + MWilliams than with Devin + JHoward. Devin's size does give him an advantage guarding larger PGs, though. Hayward will likely spend more time at SG than at SF now, which helps us defensively too.