What's new

It's time to change things again

magic

Here is what should be done:

1. Bench Rodney Hood.
He's been sucking it up and not shooting that well except for every now and then. And sometimes, like last night, he can shoot well (4-5 80%) but have a -17 while on the court. Try benching Hood and see if this motivates him to play like he did toward the end of last season.

2. Feed the hot hand till it can't produce anymore.
It seems to be common trend that someone gets hot and then we stop going to him. The two games that stick out the most to me is when Hayward scored 16 points in the first quarter against Orlando and last night when Favors had a monster third quarter but only one shot in the fourth.

In the Orlando game, Hayward could have easily had over 20 points with how hot he was, but they kept trying to run different plays for other people. If he's making everything he shoots, I say keep going through him until he cools off. Same goes for Favors.

3. Attempt to make Burks the go to guy in crunch time.
Hayward is not cutting it. He's had like 3 years now and I don't ever see him becoming a go to guy. Since we are still developing, I say try developing Burks into the go to guy for an extended periods of games. He seems to be the guy with most potential (aside from Exum) to become a go to guy.

Here is what should be done:

1. Bench Rodney Hood.
He's been sucking it up and not shooting that well except for every now and then. And sometimes, like last night, he can shoot well (4-5 80%) but have a -17 while on the court. Try benching Hood and see if this motivates him to play like he did toward the end of last season.

2. Feed the hot hand till it can't produce anymore.
It seems to be common trend that someone gets hot and then we stop going to him. The two games that stick out the most to me is when Hayward scored 16 points in the first quarter against Orlando and last night when Favors had a monster third quarter but only one shot in the fourth.

In the Orlando game, Hayward could have easily had over 20 points with how hot he was, but they kept trying to run different plays for other people. If he's making everything he shoots, I say keep going through him until he cools off. Same goes for Favors.

3. Attempt to make Burks the go to guy in crunch time.
Hayward is not cutting it. He's had like 3 years now and I don't ever see him becoming a go to guy. Since we are still developing, I say try developing Burks into the go to guy for an extended periods of games. He seems to be the guy with most potential (aside from Exum) to become a go to guy.
I'm down with all those things but especially #2

"Attempt to make Burks the go to guy in crunch time"

You realize Burks is shooting 36% from the field in the month of December? And during that same span Hayward is 46% from the field and 52% from deep.

Furthermore, Hayward has been getting to the foul line 6 time per game in that span and is shooting 82% from the FT line. Burks is getting there .5 more times per game and only shooting 67%.

But you want to attempt to make him the go-to guy when he can't even be efficient with the defense focusing on Hayward?

There is a lot of problems with the Jazz right now, least of which is Hayward.

*Also, it's not like the Jazz force-feed anyone in crunch time. They have tried every player, and pretty much between Hayward/Burks/Favors everyone has equally succeeded and failed.

Last edited:
Also, the problem with "feed the hot hand" proposal is that defenses adjust in game to players. If Hayward is playing well, they are going to key in on Hayward, so other people have to step up.

Okay, I am worried now. The other losses have been acceptable for the most part, but there now there is extremely bad pattern repeating itself game after game: when the other team amps up the D in the 4th, gets more physical, the Jazz wilt like two week old daisies. We turn into a turnover fest. Quin has said this many times. And last night, losing the 4Q at home to a terrible team like the Pelicans? Same happened losing both games to a weak sister like Orlando.

We have a serious problem. I don't know how to fix it, hopefully QS and DL do.

I'd opt for some minor changes.

No more Millsap... none.

Bring in a better bench big if possible. Lyles to the D League... he's gotten a taste and now knows where he needs to develop.

When running the triple wing milk the mismatch. We have done okay at this, but need to do better.

Super small, but the automatic fouls when there is a hint of a fast break are hurting us a bit. Only should be done when we aren't in the penalty and when there is an obvious advantage. I also don't want any of our key guys taking those fouls in the first quarter. Doesn't change things much but it is annoying.

Last night's loss sucked... it happens, but I don't think we need to panic yet. Get Gobert back and this team looks a lot different.

I used to love the idea of moving around rotations and minutes etc to fix problems. The older I get the more I realize that helping people to perform is not a math problem. It's based on trust and confidence and free agency at the end of the day. I do like #2, but maybe you run more plays for the hot hand, rather than saying feed this player he is hot. That way people don't defer and send the hot hand into hero ball mode. I feel like adjustments should be made over long periods of time (months) and should not be based upon short periods of time that are anomalies to an overall trend. I can see a place for changing rotations based upon matchups. A key ingredient there is player buy in. If a player feels you are shorting him minutes for no reason it's going to affect his ability to perform.

If you listen to QS postgame he mentions that the problem is with the enitre team and quick fixes like rotations etc were not going to resolve the underlying issue. I would like to see something done to bring our defense back. I think defense is easier to enforce/punish, because it relies less on confidence and more on effort and following the plan. Perhaps simply a refocus on accountability.

I am sure QS has mechanisms to guide adherence to both sides of the floor. It would be interesting to know more about how he goes about that.

"Attempt to make Burks the go to guy in crunch time"

You realize Burks is shooting 36% from the field in the month of December? And during that same span Hayward is 46% from the field and 52% from deep.

Furthermore, Hayward has been getting to the foul line 6 time per game in that span and is shooting 82% from the FT line. Burks is getting there .5 more times per game and only shooting 67%.

But you want to attempt to make him the go-to guy when he can't even be efficient with the defense focusing on Hayward?

There is a lot of problems with the Jazz right now, least of which is Hayward.

The stats you posted are irrelevant to the discussion. The way the game is played in the fourth quarter is much different than the first three quarters.

Also, the defense is not "focusing" on Hayward. They are focusing on preventing the Jazz as a team from scoring. It's not like they are double teaming Hayward or anything out else out of the ordinary when Burks gets a turn at things.

*Also, it's not like the Jazz force-feed anyone in crunch time. They have tried every player, and pretty much between Hayward/Burks/Favors everyone has equally succeeded and failed.

Actually, Hayward has gotten far more opportunities than anyone else on the roster. This year and the years prior. So no, Hayward has failed more than the others.

They need to stop running pick and rolls for Hayward in crunch. Let him run an ISO. He does much better than the double where he gets doubled and the other team just cheats off players that they don't need to respect on offense.

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk

The stats you posted are irrelevant to the discussion. The way the game is played in the fourth quarter is much different than the first three quarters.

Also, the defense is not "focusing" on Hayward. They are focusing on preventing the Jazz as a team from scoring. It's not like they are double teaming Hayward or anything out else out of the ordinary when Burks gets a turn at things.

Actually, Hayward has gotten far more opportunities than anyone else on the roster. This year and the years prior. So no, Hayward has failed more than the others.
Lol

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

They need to stop running pick and rolls for Hayward in crunch. Let him run an ISO. He does much better than the double where he gets doubled and the other team just cheats off players that they don't need to respect on offense.

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk
I noticed this too.
The pick comes and both defenders stay with Hayward and hayward struggles with the double.

From QS interview:
We are not executing (offense) and more than anything we're not making plays.
They got aggressive with us in pick n roll. They were dragging us out and we weren't able to find open people.
We're not even going to talk about lineups and matchups. This is about our group needing to compete more at the right times and make plays.
Asked about how to win in the 4th, are you talking about executing, being in the right spots Xs and Os or are you talking about imposing your will on the other team.
I'm talking about imposing your will on the other team
Names all the guys they run plays for down the stretch
Our guys have to be able to handle physicality down the stretch, make plays for one another and handle toughness. You gotta play through contact, make plays, make reads
About Favors 16 in the third and only 1 in the fourth and whether he should have had more attempts
I don't actually. He was getting the ball and making plays. We threw it to him a couple times, he missed, he got fouled...what they started doing was blitzing the pick n roll, so it was difficult to throw him the ball. It's very difficult to post a player late in the game...If there is a player doing well, the other team tries to take him away and that's where other guys have to step up.

I thought there was some good info there. I feel like he had a tone of frustration and disappointment that he rarely lets through in interviews.

interview here:
https://kfanav.s3.amazonaws.com/20151217_121615_quin-snyder-post.mp3

From QS interview:

Asked about how to win in the 4th, are you talking about executing, being in the right spots Xs and Os or are you talking about imposing your will on the other team.

Names all the guys they run plays for down the stretch

About Favors 16 in the third and only 1 in the fourth and whether he should have had more attempts

I thought there was some good info there. I feel like he had a tone of frustration and disappointment that he rarely lets through in interviews.

interview here:
https://kfanav.s3.amazonaws.com/20151217_121615_quin-snyder-post.mp3

I like it. Snyder is not a dumb coach, and more importantly he isnt a coach worried about the short term. Snyder knows what is best for the team long term and he is going to deliver. It sucks the losses that we have been having recently but at least we got Snyder and not corbin

Also, the problem with "feed the hot hand" proposal is that defenses adjust in game to players. If Hayward is playing well, they are going to key in on Hayward, so other people have to step up.
Yep. In the 4th last night, NO was playing off the Jazz's perimeter players, making entry passes to Favors nearly impossible.

The available data has always supported this notion: Hayward is not a very good pick and roll player. Same goes for Burks.

The available data has always supported this notion: Hayward is not a very good pick and roll player. Same goes for Burks.

I don't know if I have ever seen Burks use a PNR and actually play it so his man gets picked. He either rejects the pick or take such a wide angle towards the pick it's easy for the defender to stay on him and not get picked off.

I don't know if I have ever seen Burks use a PNR and actually play it so his man gets picked.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B65TKP5dUow
At least 5 times in the first 4 minutes of this video (I stopped watching at that point cause I'm getting ready for bed) he uses the pick just how he should use it if you want to see it.
And that's just one video from one year

He might not use the pick properly enough (I know it frustrates you when he goes the opposite direction of the screener, but that is a commonly done thing by slashers in the league and it can be effective) but to say you have never seen him do it after what, 4 + years on the team, is a little preposterous.

Last edited:
I don't know if I have ever seen Burks use a PNR and actually play it so his man gets picked. He either rejects the pick or take such a wide angle towards the pick it's easy for the defender to stay on him and not get picked off.
Unfortunately, the NBA only has the Synergy Sports stats for the current season now, but the last couple years, the Jazz have rated near the bottom of the league on points per possession from pick and roll ball handlers and roll men. IIRC, Rodney Hood was the only Jazz ball handler who scored efficiently out of the pick and roll last season.