What's new

Its Time to Tank

I'm not following this part. If we end up with the 10th worst record wouldn't we have a 66% of staying at 10 and about 20% chance of dropping?
If we are taking the 4th pick in this scenario then top 3 is 10% #4 is 4% and 10th or worse is 86% chance.... if we are 10th or 11th I don't care all that much... going from 4 to 10+ is the big drop.

I just have no confidence in anyone outside of the top 3 at being true franchise changers to take the 4th pick over a chance at a game changer.
I’m with Cy on this one. Even though the odds are super long, I’d still rather take those odds on a shot at a franchise caliber, than a guaranteed pick of a 3rd tier player. Especially since I easily have at least 7 guys in that tier that I’d be happy with at #10.

Yeah, I'm not throwing away any chance at Wemby personally.
You aren't throwing it away in this scenario.. you are cashing in on the low chance you can move up into the top 3... you are getting a good value by taking the bird in the hand.

It very well still might be the wrong call... but throwing away is the wrong term.

You aren't throwing it away in this scenario.. you are cashing in on the low chance you can move up into the top 3... you are getting a good value by taking the bird in the hand.

It very well still might be the wrong call... but throwing away is the wrong term.
Do you have a chance at Wemby with this hypothetical trade? No, you dont. It's throwing away a shot at Wemby.

I’m with Cy on this one. Even though the odds are super long, I’d still rather take those odds on a shot at a franchise caliber, than a guaranteed pick of a 3rd tier player. Especially since I easily have at least 7 guys in that tier that I’d be happy with at #10.
I might come around to that thinking.. not sure what a GM would do though. While some might break their boards down into tiers... I am guessing their rankings are a bit more delineated than ours.

Jumping from 10 to 4 would likely cost at least one Minny pick... maybe more. You could also finesse your way to the guy in the third tier you like most while trading back.

You didn't throw it away... you redeemed it for value and certainty.
The other side of it would be you gave away the #4 pick for some penny stocks.

Again.. not sure of the right call here but its really tough not to consider the percentages and such.

I think I would stay at 10 and hope for the best, but it's close. I just think you never want to take yourself out of the running for a generational talent.

On the opposite side of the argument, even if you think the talent between 4-10 is very close, probably only 50% of those players will pan out. I want our front office to have first dibs on making an educated guess for which one will be best of that group.

I doubt that Ainge sees pick 4 the same as pick 10. I bet he would prefer pick 4 over 10.
Like i doubt his big board is
1. wemby
2. scoot
3. miller
4/5/6/7/8/9/10 whoever idgaf.
I bet he has preferences on guys even after the top 3.

Actually you very clearly are throwing it away. You go from having a chance at Wemby to no chance which is the definition of throwing it away. The only way it even slightly makes sense is if you have another player identified at 4 that you think is a future star. That definitely isn't the situation for me. I probably have 6 guys jumbled together after the top 3 and have no clue who is the favorite at this point. It pretty much changes daily.

I doubt that Ainge sees pick 4 the same as pick 10. I bet he would prefer pick 4 over 10.
1. wemby
2. scoot
3. miller
Fish, you have once again outdone yourself.

No one has given a single pick for who you actually want at 4 in that scenario. If you took a straw poll you’d get like six or more players all getting votes.

Like I get the very basic logic that we are much more likely to be at 8-10 than top three so just take the guaranteed better pick. But the upside of the top 3, and the complete inability to come with a target at #4 makes me so confused why you wanna give up our chance at a top guy. Wasn’t the point of tanking so that we had a chance at those top guys?

I am taking the 4th spot. You could then trade back if you want someone closer to 10.
If a team wants to trade back. In this draft there may be no difference between 4 and 10. That is how tightly I have players bundled right now and it is simply in the eye of the beholder.

1. wemby
2. scoot
3. miller
Of course he doesn't see them as the same and prefers 4 over 10. Would he prefer it enough to give up any shot at jumping into the top 3? I highly doubt that.

Actually you very clearly are throwing it away. You go from having a chance at Wemby to no chance which is the definition of throwing it away. The only way it even slightly makes sense is if you have another player identified at 4 that you think is a future star. That definitely isn't the situation for me. I probably have 6 guys jumbled together after the top 3 and have no clue who is the favorite at this point. It pretty much changes daily.
Its not the definition of throwing it away. If I received a stock option for $10k and sold it for $100k did I throw it away or did I redeem it for value? Now if it turns out I could have waited it out and it was worth $1M... I still did not throw away a shot at $1M... I cashed out that shot for $90k in profit.

Its not the definition of throwing it away. If I received a stock option for $10k and sold it for $100k did I throw it away or did I redeem it for value? Now if it turns out I could have waited it out and it was worth $1M... I still did not throw away a shot at $1M... I cashed out that shot for $90k in profit.
No. The question was are you throwing away the opportunity to get Wemby no matter how slight the chance? If you do the trade for the 4th pick then obviously you are throwing any opportunity of Wemby. No one is going to argue with you that trading 10 for 4 means you are getting great value. That was never the question.

No one has given a single pick for who you actually want at 4 in that scenario. If you took a straw poll you’d get like six or more players all getting votes.

Like I get the very basic logic that we are much more likely to be at 8-10 than top three so just take the guaranteed better pick. But the upside of the top 3, and the complete inability to come with a target at #4 makes me so confused why you wanna give up our chance at a top guy. Wasn’t the point of tanking so that we had a chance at those top guys?
Its more narrow than that... you might find this group saying there are 6 or more guys... but among GMs it would almost surely be Amen, Whitmore, or Walker... at this point anyway.

No. The question was are you throwing away the opportunity to get Wemby no matter how slight the chance? If you do the trade for the 4th pick then obviously you are throwing any opportunity of Wemby. No one is going to argue with you that trading 10 for 4 means you are getting great value. That was never the question.
Throwing away means discarding it and receiving nothing... you literally said you are getting great value.