What's new

Jackpotting Around Podcast: Episode 8 - To Convey Or Not To Convey and Let’s Start A Discussion About Collin Sexton

Sexton isn’t as bad on defense as of late as he has been his career. I think he’s been better. He’s not great but he’s not actively hurting us.
I dont know how true that is.

He isnt the weakest defender most times on the court (mostly because Clarkson exist), I will give him that, but I still think he's a net negative and not helping the issue.

Sexton isn’t as bad on defense as of late as he has been his career. I think he’s been better. He’s not great but he’s not actively hurting us.

We're 26th in defense. Pretty much everyone is hurting us. I think Sexton is improved, but he's still a bad a defender and chances are he will always be one.

You are gonna have to show how trae is better.
When playing similar minutes this year sexton has the better assist to turnover ratio and scores more points, more efficiently.

Maybe trae is an elite level defender though. Idk.

Sexton is slightly younger and much cheaper too.

As of right now, Sexton is playing better, he is younger, and he is cheaper
Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk
Im good.

Ya I think Sexton is a bad defender. I think he most likely always will be.

At least it isn't due to lack of effort though.

Just get on board man. Don't fight it. As badly as you want him traded he can't be traded right now. He is on the jazz and will be for a while.
Just say it. He is playing at an all star level right now. He is playing as good as or better than trae young right now. It's not a huge sample size but **** it, he is a jazz man. He is young, on a good contract, extremely efficient, getting better as the season (and his career) progresses, works his *** off, accepts coaching, is a good teammate....
Come on in, the water is fine.

I would actually be more optimistic if Sexton's defense was due to a lack of effort. Someone like Mitchell, he definitely could have been a better defender if he wanted to. We'll see in the playoffs, but he has picked risen his defensive level this season as he's matured. Sexton....he just isn't a good defender and does not have that potential. Not everyone can be a good defender. He can always improve, but as with everything there's a degree of natural talent and Sexton isn't a talented defender. I think his effort raises his defensive level above the likes of Clarkson and Key....but that's hardly saying much.

Fixed. You’re welcome.
Look man, if you need someone to tell you why Trae Young is better than Sexton, you probably need to look into special needs classes.

If your take is that Sexton is on a path to become better, have your opinion, but there is no question Young has been the better player to this point.

We're 26th in defense. Pretty much everyone is hurting us. I think Sexton is improved, but he's still a bad a defender and chances are he will always be one.
He’s been getting steals recently and has learned a nice swipe down when players are in the post. I don’t think he will ever be a great defender but I see a lot of more issues than him on defense.

Just get on board man. Don't fight it. As badly as you want him traded he can't be traded right now. He is on the jazz and will be for a while.
Just say it. He is playing at an all star level right now. He is playing as good as or better than trae young right now. It's not a huge sample size but **** it, he is a jazz man. He is young, on a good contract, extremely efficient, getting better as the season (and his career) progresses, works his *** off, accepts coaching, is a good teammate....
Come on in, the water is fine.

Look, I already said I like Sexton.

I get your thing is being a homer who doesnt want to think to hard, not be an armchair gm, etc. That's fine. Do you and stop asking me to explain stuff to you.

there is no question Young has been the better player to this point.

Agreed.
Sexton has been better than trae young this year though.
Right now Sexton is playing better than young.

Look, I already said I like Sexton.

I get your thing is being a homer who doesnt want to think to hard, not be an armchair gm, etc. That's fine. Do you and stop asking me to explain stuff to you.
Ah so you think that if I don't understand something that the right thing to do is just act like I do understand and not try to learn anything.

No thanks, I'm not going to do your thing.

I would actually be more optimistic if Sexton's defense was due to a lack of effort. Someone like Mitchell, he definitely could have been a better defender if he wanted to. We'll see in the playoffs, but he has picked risen his defensive level this season as he's matured. Sexton....he just isn't a good defender and does not have that potential. Not everyone can be a good defender. He can always improve, but as with everything there's a degree of natural talent and Sexton isn't a talented defender. I think his effort raises his defensive level above the likes of Clarkson and Key....but that's hardly saying much.
Sexton absolutely has the ability to be a good defender at the pg position. He has the quick feet and strength to body up with most guys and stay in front of them. His issue is that he gets overly aggressive which leads to him getting out of position. When he dials it back and just focuses on good positional defense he can be very effective. If I'm the jazz I would have him watch as much video as possible of Kyle Lowry defensively and have him focus on mimicking his style.

Sexton absolutely has the ability to be a good defender at the pg position. He has the quick feet and strength to body up with most guys and stay in front of them. His issue is that he gets overly aggressive which leads to him getting out of position. When he dials it back and just focuses on good positional defense he can be very effective. If I'm the jazz I would have him watch as much video as possible of Kyle Lowry defensively and have him focus on mimicking his style.
He has quick feet north/south. He is not quick laterally.

Sexton is not going to magically start being a good defender. He has a reduced role and he still cant play quality defense. If you increase his usage and role, his defense is going to get worse.

The only argument is that maybe you put him around a top tier defensive unit (which currently the Jazz arent really close to assembling), he's good enough to not bring the team down on that end, but I'm not sure about that. He's pretty bad in every facet other than the aesthetic side of looking like you're trying (which has value, you dont want people to look at you like you are dogging it)

There's just some contradictions in Sexton's game that make it hard for a team to really build around him and win. He's an undersized guard who isnt an intelligent defender. His defense is going to age horribly if he loses any of his athleticism. He's gotten better at using a pick to score and even can do a bit of playmaking now, but he isnt a PNR PG. He doesnt play as well with rim runners as he does with floor spacers, but he needs to play with a drop big on defense because a switching based scheme will expose him.

I disagree, the main things that prevents Sexton from being a good defender are his instincts, awareness, and lack of defensive range. Being "overly aggressive" is a big part of the problem and his "high effort" is often confused with a lack of defensive IQ. He's also best at the visible parts of defense, for example playing tight defense on the ball, but is extremely lacking in the other and likely more important areas of defense such as covering ground off the ball, making rotations, and executing coverages correctly. Don't get me wrong, on ball defense is important, but it is way overvalued in the entire scope of defense. When people get optimistic about Sexton's defense, it's always about his effort and what he do directly on the ball. No one ever mentions the other stuff, and that's the stuff that makes him a soundly negative defender.

You could say much of this is learnable....but it's kind of like saying shooting can be learned and developed. Some players are able to pick up and learn things better than other. In the same way that some guys have a natural touch and feel for the game, there are things on defense that come naturally and we know by now that Sexton is not a gifted defender. He can learn from guys like Lowry and FVV....but those guys have somethin innate that he does not have. Like I said, he can improve, but he will probably always be bad and that's true no matter what position he's playing or what his defensive assignment is. Most smaller guards are, and I don't think he has the natural ability to overcome those odds. Not everyone can be a defensive savant.

I disagree, the main things that prevents Sexton from being a good defender are his instincts, awareness, and lack of defensive range. Being "overly aggressive" is a big part of the problem and his "high effort" is often confused with a lack of defensive IQ. He's also best at the visible parts of defense, for example playing tight defense on the ball, but is extremely lacking in the other and likely more important areas of defense such as covering ground off the ball, making rotations, and executing coverages correctly. Don't get me wrong, on ball defense is important, but it is way overvalued in the entire scope of defense. When people get optimistic about Sexton's defense, it's always about his effort and what he do directly on the ball. No one ever mentions the other stuff, and that's the stuff that makes him a soundly negative defender.

You could say much of this is learnable....but it's kind of like saying shooting can be learned and developed. Some players are able to pick up and learn things better than other. In the same way that some guys have a natural touch and feel for the game, there are things on defense that come naturally and we know by now that Sexton is not a gifted defender. He can learn from guys like Lowry and FVV....but those guys have somethin innate that he does not have. Like I said, he can improve, but he will probably always be bad and that's true no matter what position he's playing or what his defensive assignment is. Most smaller guards are, and I don't think he has the natural ability to overcome those odds. Not everyone can be a defensive savant.
Sexton is not a good on-ball defender. I've never seen Sexton actually make anyone's life difficult on defense for an entire game, much less even a stretch of a game. He will pester someone with some initial pressing on a possession, but they typically figure him out in 3-5 seconds and burn him immediately.

Sexton is not a good on-ball defender. I've never seen Sexton actually make anyone's life difficult on defense for an entire game, much less even a stretch of a game. He will pester someone with some initial pressing on a possession, but they typically figure him out in 3-5 seconds and burn him immediately.

That's true, but that's where he "shines" the most. And when I mean shine, he makes a memorable play or two. But for every one of those, he has many more where he picks up a cheap foul, runs directly into a screen, or just gets flat out beat from being in a guys grill. When people see a defender in a dude's face breathing all over him, they speak about it as if that is the extent of what good defense is.

His off ball defense is so bad it's a trivial talking point, no one (even Sexton stans) will mention it because it's obviously bad. It does not even need to be discussed. They will always point to his "effort" defense, which as you said doesn't necessarily produce consistent results.