What's new

Game Thread Jan 01, 2022 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Warriors

Added to Calendar: 01-01-22

I really wish we had signed Otto Porter Jr this off season. I'm not sure if we could have but I would take him over Gay. The team seemed like Gay was the target all along, but Otto fills a bigger need.

So you're saying we need to get rid of Mitchell, since it was mostly Donovan who we should expect to do better on larger sample sizes? Since he's the playoff moneyball guy?
My belief is that Quin is the moneyball guy, hence no adjustments from the Clippers regular season game through the sounding horn on game 6. Just a belief of keeping rolling the dice because the numbers are with you. The reference to anomalies is the common retort for any close game lost, with an underlying implication that the next equation will be absent such anomalous variables. The stats arise from the floor and the floor doesn’t succumb to the stats. The directionality of this relationship is what befuddles moneyball practitioners on applying long-term strategy to finite situation. The problem, then, is what the moneyball approach allows us to take away from this game: absolutely nothing, except to moneyball harder.

I really wish we had signed Otto Porter Jr this off season. I'm not sure if we could have but I would take him over Gay. The team seemed like Gay was the target all along, but Otto fills a bigger need.
Think he refused better offers to sign with the GSW.

If we don’t have a roster fix then what do you think will happen if/when we face them in the playoffs?

I mean, if the Warriors are reasonably healthy we likely lose. Steph/Dray is an all-timer of a combo.

I like our squad, but we're not at that level.

But folks are really going all in on a game where we shot 32% from 3 and the Warriors shot 53%.

What a ****** night. Utah’s defense gives up nearly 700 yards and the Jazz take a massive dump against the warriors.

Also, jingles was terrible. One of my all time favorites. But he’s killing this team. We need some juice at the 3-4. It looks so slow and stagnant.
Yeah, its always someone else's fault but not the supposed star and leader of our team.

4/19 and pretty lazy and attrocious on D apart from a few posessions in the 4th when it was too late.

Bad games happen to everyone but lets call the spade a spade, shall we?

Being a fanboy apologist is not helping anyone...

My belief is that Quin is the moneyball guy, hence no adjustments from the Clippers regular season game through the sounding horn on game 6. Just a belief of keeping rolling the dice because the numbers are with you. The reference to anomalies is the common retort for any close game lost, with an underlying implication that the next equation will be absent such anomalous variables. The stats arise from the floor and the floor doesn’t succumb to the stats. The directionality of this relationship is what befuddles moneyball practitioners on applying long-term strategy to finite situation. The problem, then, is what the moneyball approach allows us to take away from this game: absolutely nothing, except to moneyball harder.
OK, thanks for the explanation. Misunderstood your reference.

Yeah, its always someone else's fault but not the supposed star and leader of our team.

4/19 and pretty lazy and attrocious on D apart from a few posessions in the 4th when it was too late.

Bad games happen to everyone but lets call the spade a spade, shall we?

Being a fanboy apologist is not helping anyone...
Mitchell sucked tonight too. I mean I thought I stated that when I said “the Jazz” but I guess I need to be specific about each and every player that plays poorly?

Who’s a fanboy apologist? What evidence do you have that im a fanboy apologist for Mitchell? I think you jumped to conclusions.

I mean, if the Warriors are reasonably healthy we likely lose. Steph/Dray is an all-timer of a combo.

I like our squad, but we're not at that level.

But folks are really going all in on a game where we shot 32% from 3 and the Warriors shot 53%.
Did their defense have anything to do with our poor shooting?

We seem to struggle with long and athletic defenses.

And I’m hating our 1 on 5 design. What happened to the blender?

Warriors have had some incredible luck this season. I'll leave it for others to parse out the difference between "create-your-own luck" and "dumb luck":
  • Payton shooting well all over the floor
  • Wiggins playing up to his contract
  • Poole developing into a major threat
  • OPJ looking as healthy and efficient as he's ever been
  • Bjelica somehow managing to survive as part of a suffocating, blitzing defense after stinking it up last year for the Heat (who also have the reputation for reviving careers)
  • Looney (who most observers criminally underrate, IMO) managing to stay healthy, given his history
Hats off to them. They deserve their place atop the NBA.

Their defense bothered us at times. But we missed a ton of wide open shots. Their physical play bothered us and it often does from teams. The refs actually started calling a lot of that and GS had to back off a little and then we exploded. But when the game is close towards the end it comes back and the refs call far less at that point. It's also hard to beat Steph in close games. He can make impossible three's against good defenses and creates a ton of room for the rest of the team.

We were at 41% from 3 without Ingles's and Mitchell's contributions. I'd argue that Mitchell's night wasn't particularly affected by their defense. He just missed shots. But I think Ingles is much more prone to be bothered by the defense.

As much as I hate to say it, it's looking more and more like Joe's spot is the place we ought to try to find improvement. When Joe's on, we're kind of unstoppable. But I think he's the first thing that locked-in defenses are able to turn off.

You forgot dray as well. No say we can match up with them at full strength. Just have to be lucky to avoid them in a bracket which is pathetic too smh.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
Yeah, not having and whiteside and dray are about the same. But Klay just puts them a level above us. I think we could have played a better. But I'm just not convienced that we have a title team right now.

I still think Ingles can/will turn it on and be back to himself. But even if he does I'm okay with trading him.

Yeah, not having and whiteside and dray are about the same. But Klay just puts them a level above us. I think we could have played a better. But I'm just not convienced that we have a title team right now.
That's assuming he's going to be anywhere close to what he used to be. It might take him awhile to get back to anywhere close to what he was. That much time away and the injuries have a toll.

Holy moly that was atrocious shooting. The fact they were in the game still with that shooting is a positive, I guess, except that the Warriors defense really played a role in it and can probably duplicate that sort of performance.

Guard play was awful tonight.
Pretty much. Conley/Mitchell/Ingles/Clarkson combined for 17/53. If you take out Clarkson, who actually at least shot well, that goes to 9/39. Ouch.

At least Mitchell got to the line, but still, 4/19. Brutal.

I think we should lessen Joes minutes and give it to others.he played 26mins.

conley was neutralised by obviously, long defenders. he had 3 assist. even lost the ball while dribbling half court. disrupt him then Rudy impact on offense goes away. I thought he dribbled too much. and he's well rested.

DM obviously was tired. he dropped 39 yesterday. can't blame him. if this was the 1st game it's gonna be different.

JC was probably the only guy who got going offensively. he's not bothered by long athletic defenders.he's the guy you want to be on your side if you want to fight fire with fire. I just hope he can be consistent.

coach Q, why not give minutes to our reserves on a b2b? guys were gassed.

Moneyball is a great strategy for sports that have a league format without playoffs. Over a 38-game season in the Premier League, numbers will even themselves out. If you have quality players, they will create quality chances and eventually score them. Your players can't keep missing forever and the opposing goalies can't keep having the game of their life against you.

The NBA does have playoffs though, so it's really stupid to think that the numbers will simply work themselves out. Just ask Mike D'Antoni. His teams have won 60+ games 3 times and 50+ games 7 times. He hasn't even got a Finals appearance to show for it. If the NBA operated on the league system, he'd be one of the best coaches of this century. It doesn't though, and you don't get to choose which game your team is going to miss 20 threes in a row. When they do, all you can do is sit there and watch it all unravel because you have no way of making an adjustment.

It's not even that D'Antoni or Quin are unwilling to make them. That's the sad part. We were all yelling at the screen against the Clippers, but at that point, there was nothing anyone could've done. You can't throw defensive schemes that you've never really used before in a win-or-go-home game. You can't suddenly invent players who can defend on the perimeter when you and the front office have spent the past 5 years purposely avoiding signing, developing, and playing players like that.

There has to be a plan B for the playoffs. We all saw last season how over 72 games, numbers do work themselves out. They don't do it over a 48-minute period where you let Terance Mann score 39 on you. He might never score 39 in an entire playoff series again, but what good does that do to us now?