What's new

January 2021 State of the Jazz Address

Actually I am beginning to question his BBIQ. He often gets into spots where it is obvious he has no idea what to do, like he can't read the play. His iso is so good, and his athleticism and pure scoring skill is so solid, that we don't see the other parts of the game so much...when he is on. Now that he isn't "on" we are seeing that he isn't a very good decision-maker when under pressure, and he often makes a bad read. Does he just really not get the entirety of the game? Think about his greatest performances, they are almost exclusively him scoring off hero-ball, and going nuclear. Alone. He doesn't rack up triple-doubles, he doesn't get high assist numbers, or steals. He is just not a complete player, and the parts he is missing are the parts we are generally missing as a team. That is a huge void to fill. And with his offensive game MIA he is a negative on the court in general, even if he does chuck enough to get his 20 points.

I am very worried indeed. Fools gold can look really good until you get it under the microscope.
This should be everyone's greatest fear. It makes the Conley move more palatable if the fo realized what we fans aren't willing to see. I use to cringe when Don didn't have the ball in his hands. This year it's been quite the opposite to this point.

I think Don's passing and read making ability have improved this year. His problem is he's always trying to do too much. I don't think it's because he can't read the floor or anything like that, it's just that he isnt letting the game come to him as much. He goes for the highlight play too often.

He isn't that "steadying" influence you might want in a PG. I think when things are going well for him, he's looking for the big plays to get him going, not the little things.

Also, another positive note on Don, his three point attempt rate has gone way up this year.

My eye test tells me he has cut back on mid-range shots, but I can't say for sure.

Don's biggest issue right now is he is shooting terribly on his off the bounce 3's and his paint finishing has been pretty bad as well.

His catch and shoot 3 has been great though.

Good breakdown today Cy. I agree with you. Don shows signs of progression but he's rushing. He's taking better shots according to analytics but he's just off.

I have faith he can and will put it together.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

Don's biggest issue right now is he is shooting terribly on his off the bounce 3's and his paint finishing has been pretty bad as well.

His catch and shoot 3 has been great though.
He's looked a little off balance with his shot this year... its something he's historically been awesome at. Maybe its just a few shots I noticed because they were forced.

I also don't remember him having this big of an issue with just weird ball handling turnovers... He's had a ton where the ball just slips or gets mishandled. I think he had his thumb taped for a bit in the pre-season... thumb injuries are a bitch for basketball... hands get hit so often.

He's looked a little off balance with his shot this year... its something he's historically been awesome at. Maybe its just a few shots I noticed because they were forced.

I also don't remember him having this big of an issue with just weird ball handling turnovers... He's had a ton where the ball just slips or gets mishandled. I think he had his thumb taped for a bit in the pre-season... thumb injuries are a bitch for basketball... hands get hit so often.
Pretty sure his OTD 3 has usually been pretty mediocre until the bubble. His off teh catch is what has been elite, and still is.

Pretty sure his OTD 3 has usually been pretty mediocre until the bubble. His off teh catch is what has been elite, and still is.
His balance is what he is awesome at... sorry for the confusion.

He has been solid off the dribble when you consider the volume... he has some work to do to get to the elite guys. This year he went from solid to putrid thus far.