What's new

Javale McGee and Andray Blatche on the trading block

NUMBERICA

2022 Award Winner
I really don't care about Blatche and think he's mostly trash, but McGee is an ever-improving and already productive player. Blatche would be easier to get, but what would it take to get McGee? Do the Jazz even have pieces to do that?

For reference, McGee is 10th in PER for Cs (one below Brook Lopez, and above Marc Gasol, Tyson Chandler, and Al Jefferson), and is 3rd on their team in +/-. He's 3rd in BPG in the entire league (at only 27 MPG, which puts him at 2nd in BP48) and 3rd in Blocks per foul. He scores 9 PPG at a 54% clip and 1.33 PPS, at 27 MPG, that's not bad (though obviously not very good). He's also 16th in rebound rate/RP48.

Another thing definitely worth considering is he has the 2nd highest standing reach ever recorded at the draft combine (9' 6.5") and has an insane max vert reach of 12' 3". He's also just 22 in his 3rd season.

I would love to have McGee on the Jazz. He would definitely qualify for the athletic shot blocker that we have been missing.

I've been impressed with McGee and wouldn't mind seeing him here, we'd have a built-in nickname in Maniac McGee and everything. The problem is what we'd have to give up in return.

McGee would be a great backup (at first) and could slide into the starting lineup so that Al could play the 4. Great player for a great price. Think Washington would give him up for only ~$1.6M?

McGee is a really good player. An very long athletic shotblocking center with a decent offensive game. If the Jazz could get him without giving up too much I'd do it.

Big 7 footers that can actually jump, show passion, and tie their shoes aren't very common

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NM1_eTsQUk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvDjgQW9nbI&feature=related

That would be so awesome Give up Fez and Evans for Magee. He would be perfect for Utah and then move Jeffereson to PF. Then come up with a package of Milsap and Hayward for Granger. Then resign AK after this year to be the Back up sf/pf.

Dwill Bell Granger Jefferson Magee
Watson Miles AK Elson Memo

It would require every chip the Jazz have to get McGee. Hayward, Evans, Tomic. McGee doesn't make enough to use anything besides really cheap pieces for a straight up deal, and the Wizards would have no interest in a veteran player unless it's as some sort of financial relief.

McGee is just another player who is in the NBA not because of his level of basketball knowledge or fundamentals, but because of being long and athletic. He has no post moves, shooting threat, you cannot rely on his FTs and his game IQ will not let you put him on the floor when it matters most. He is, IMO, the best freak athlete in today's NBA, by far. His athletic abilities are magnificent and fun to watch but he will not win you many games or you cannot establish a system around him or a system that makes him an important part of it.

I think Blatche is a chucker but he has lots of talent. He can put the ball on the foor, can distribute, is an excellent ball handler for his size, has a variety of offensive moves. He is a complete package. His main weakness starts with his attitude towards the game and I think in a winner team, in a franchise that is expected to win his mental flaws can be overcome. When he focuses on the game, he can definitely make a difference. His defense is below average but overally, he is a valuable player. I do not think Wizards would give up on him.

Has Tomic's season started yet? If so, how's that hack doing? Does he look as skinny, skinnier, or more meaty than Bale in The Machinist?

McGee is just another player who is in the NBA not because of his level of basketball knowledge or fundamentals, but because of being long and athletic. He has no post moves, shooting threat, you cannot rely on his FTs and his game IQ will not let you put him on the floor when it matters most. He is, IMO, the best freak athlete in today's NBA, by far. His athletic abilities are magnificent and fun to watch but he will not win you many games or you cannot establish a system around him or a system that makes him an important part of it.

I think Blatche is a chucker but he has lots of talent. He can put the ball on the foor, can distribute, is an excellent ball handler for his size, has a variety of offensive moves. He is a complete package. His main weakness starts with his attitude towards the game and I think in a winner team, in a franchise that is expected to win his mental flaws can be overcome. When he focuses on the game, he can definitely make a difference. His defense is below average but overally, he is a valuable player. I do not think Wizards would give up on him.

Andray Blatche is nothing but a headcase version of Miles. He had a stretch of really productive games last year, and he's now become an inefficient, high-volume scorer. And I can't emphasize enough that he looks every part of a nut job.

And don't underrate a player just because they don't have a polished game. Dwight Howard and Amare Stoudamire are the poster-children of what being athletic and smart can become. McGee is already a good player and only started getting real minutes after the Wizards traded away their core.

Andray Blatche is nothing but a headcase version of Miles. He had a stretch of really productive games last year, and he's now become an inefficient, high-volume scorer. And I can't emphasize enough that he looks every part of a nut job.

And don't underrate a player just because they don't have a polished game. Dwight Howard and Amare Stoudamire are the poster-children of what being athletic and smart can become. McGee is already a good player and only started getting real minutes after the Wizards traded away their core.

I agree that Andray is a headcase but I think he can be a valuable asset in any system because of his skillset. I'm glad that I would not be the decision maker in such a trade opportunity. Tough call.

Did you read what Glen Davis had to say about Dwight? He basically said that Howard the college player and Howard the NBA star are the same players in terms of skills and level of the game. That says alot about those kind of players. I'm discluding Amare here because he has some moves inside in addition to his consistent, developed shooting touch from outside. He is, with Boozerous, the best finisher in NBA, IMO. Dwight, unless he adds some reliable post moves and a consistent 10-15 footer, would not be my choice. He becomes too predictable and I assure you that BigAl and even %100 Memo can defend Howard one-on-one. He will get his numbers but either by a low efficiency or by hampering the flow of the offense, as seen in Portland-Orlando game. Being a freak athlete is an advantage to start with but the fundamentals and consistent and reliable weapons will take you to the your capacity. Howard is certainly not there and will not be this way.

The only way anything happens is if the jazz send them AK and bring back Rashard Lewis and his 3 yr 60 million contract. Not gonna happen.

More and more teams are putting out bait... I agree about Howard; he's great on defense, but the Magic have to surround him with jump shooters 'cause Howard with no outside game lives in the paint, drawing defenses in with him. When the jump shots aren't falling for his teammates, Magic are in for a long night...

You guys are way overrating McGee...and I was fully on the draft McGee bandwagon the year of the Koof. Athletic big that can bring energy...way better athlete than basketball player.