What's new

Jazz ban 2nd fan for calling Westbrook "boy"

"Boy" isn't some obscure racially charged word that no one knows about. I'm not trying to be arrogant. People should learn history and educate themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Bow down to the oracle of racially charged words folks.

Jesus people. Listen, I think Westbrook’s a jerkoff but can we have some intellectual honesty here.

In 48 Hours, Nolte and Murphy have the following exchange.

Jack : I believe in the merit system. So far you ain't earned any points, boy.

Reggie : [with a very black Southern drawl] Oh well I'll be real good from now on, Massa Cates!

The implication to Nolte’s use of boy was obvious. There’s an obvious contextual use of the word that just should not be used. It’s racist. Period.

Learn history is a line that I’ve heard from many people to validate their arguments. I don’t see how relevant learning history is to the fact that me and I’m sure many others were unaware of the word “boy” having a racist connotation.

I wouldn’t expect you to visit my home country and know every word that can sound offensive to any given group of people there. Let’s get real.

So what if he has a problem? Who’s going to fix that besides him?

Utah has a racism problem, and frankly always has. We should work on fixing our problems, which is within OUR power.

Humanity does. I find this notion that Utah is some special case that needs to be singled out silly.

It only matters because this is where we happen to be living. Not because Utah is exceptionally racist.

Learn history is a line that I’ve heard from many people to validate their arguments. I don’t see how relevant learning history is to the fact that me and I’m sure many others were unaware of the word “boy” having a racist connotation.

I wouldn’t expect you to visit my home country and know every word that can sound offensive to any given group of people there. Let’s get real.

It’s not using the word boy. It’s the usage of the word boy as I previously, contextually demonstrated. No one would use it like that unless they’re using it in a racially charged sense.

What does that have to do with anything? Don't focus so much on race or skin color. No matter who you are, its all about the culture you grew up in.

You should reread my post. Where did I ask about race or skin color? I am specifically asking about culture in my post.

Learning the history behind words is sorta important.

The guys being banned aren’t foreigners. They were grown *** men who were born here and knew better.

I’m frankly surprised how many of you are defending this behavior by dismissing the importance of learning history and creating strawmen through foreigners ignorantly saying things at players. It’s really weird and leads to me wondering if you’re really as innocent as you pretend to me.

Last edited:
It’s not using the word boy. It’s the usage of the word boy as I previously, contextually demonstrated. No one would use it like that unless they’re using it in a racially charged sense.

I agree that context matters. I could totally see a spaniard literally translating “Chico!”, which has no racial connotations in Spain whatsoever. In that context it not would have been a racial matter, especially if both parties are willing to discuss about it in a mature way.

Learning the history behind words is sorta important.

The guys being banned aren’t foreigners. They were grown *** men who were born here and knew better.

I’m frankly surprised how many of you are defending this behavior by dismissing the importance of learning history and creating strawmen through foreigners ignorantly saying things at players. It’s really weird and leads to me wondering if you’re really as innocent as you pretend to me.

Wait, what are you insinuating?

Thanks for your enriching post. Sure makes me want to engage in further discussion with you.

You live in Spain, right?

That would explain things. Many non-Americans really may not be familiar with the racially charged contextual use of the word.

You told me to teach my kids to take their power and help give power to those who don't have it. To me, that's just garbage.

Everybody, at least in this country, has the power to improve their lives. Some do it through more adversity than others, but they still have the power to improve. They don't need people to give them power; they need people to treat them like equals. It is the responsibility of an individual to realize and acquire their own level of power.

All an individual can do is lead by example. Treat others how you want to be treated. That is how the world changes.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

The problem as I see it is turning equality into patronizing. I think being a patronizing SJW is wrongheaded. Who wants to be patronized?

Humanity does. I find this notion that Utah is some special case that needs to be singled out silly.

It only matters because this is where we happen to be living. Not because Utah is exceptionally racist.

An argument about exceptional racism is beside the point. Racism to any degree is worth assessing and course correction.

An argument about exceptional racism is beside the point. Racism to any degree is worth assessing and course correction.

Oh, I absolutely agree. Just pointing out that Utah isn’t exceptional in this.

We need to do better here because we are here. Just adding relevant context imo.