What's new

Jazz ban 2nd fan for calling Westbrook "boy"

"Boy" isn't some obscure racially charged word that no one knows about. I'm not trying to be arrogant. People should learn history and educate themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Do you think someone from bolivia knows about the history of the word boy? The world is a big place with lots of people on it. I will never expect all those people to have the same amount of knowledge about any particular subject.

As for people should learn and educate themselves..... maybe that is what people are doing in this very thread?

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I know well what it means.

You don't want to actually say something overtly racist, so you use code words and phrases plainly understood by the in group as to what you really mean. Making light of racist statements and implying that those who are offended by them are pansies or suffering from white guilt, etc., pure dog whistle.

Start using it correctly.

What if someone exclaims, after a terrific play by a Jazz player on an opponent of color, "Oh boy, you just got owned!"?

I guess the preferable phrase is "**** man, he just made you his bitch!"

I like the steps that have been taken and I like the shirts but they do feel like overcompensation and as if they’re saying, “Look, we’re not racist here in Utah!” when the recent events and historical commentary from NBA players says otherwise.

And no, I’m not saying y’all are racists.

Perhaps you could interpret the shirts as saying, "Look, we are trying to be better"?

So? To often this “you’re white” game is simply an attempt to silence whites on the subject of racism because their opinion on how to move forward is different. Stop it. When you silence a group like that it’ll lead nowhere good.

I'm white, and no one is trying to silence me. Perhaps you have misinterpreted what firegirl meant by "You, obviously, are white"?

I'm white, and no one is trying to silence me. Perhaps you have misinterpreted what firegirl meant by "You, obviously, are white"?

I have heard, read and watched the “you’re white” line used over and over to silence or dismiss “whites” on this subject. It’s a common tactic.

Speaking of racism...

Stereotyping the Irish on St Patrick’s Day to attack a political opponent? #BeBest

Our society needs a makeover from the top down.

Perhaps you could interpret the shirts as saying, "Look, we are trying to be better"?
This is not a socially acceptable assumption in today's world. This is the world where anything you did at any point in your life, regardless of your current opinions, learning and personal growth, can and will be used to destroy you. So you may have one said the word "***" about someone when you were 17 and it was the common usage among your peer group, but since you have become very "woke" regarding homosexuality in the intervening 30 years, however when that single video surfaces of you saying that to someone when you were 17 you now need to have your entire life erased as "punishment". This is the world we are in right now. As someone who did some stupid things as a kid, I find it terrifying.

I wasn't telling you what to do, just pointing out that there was more to do than you described.

To me, that sounds a lot like a rich person saying money isn't important. But I appreciate the sentiment.
You told me to teach my kids to take their power and help give power to those who don't have it. To me, that's just garbage.

Everybody, at least in this country, has the power to improve their lives. Some do it through more adversity than others, but they still have the power to improve. They don't need people to give them power; they need people to treat them like equals. It is the responsibility of an individual to realize and acquire their own level of power.

All an individual can do is lead by example. Treat others how you want to be treated. That is how the world changes.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I remember Boozer yelling "yeah boy" or "get that out of here boy" after an AK47 block. Did anyone back then think of it as a racial slur? I guess you have to be a super SJW these days to know all the terms. Must be a stressful and pathetic life walking around on egg shells and noticing the race of everyone around you all the time.

This is not a socially acceptable assumption in today's world. This is the world where anything you did at any point in your life, regardless of your current opinions, learning and personal growth, can and will be used to destroy you. So you may have one said the word "***" about someone when you were 17 and it was the common usage among your peer group, but since you have become very "woke" regarding homosexuality in the intervening 30 years, however when that single video surfaces of you saying that to someone when you were 17 you now need to have your entire life erased as "punishment". This is the world we are in right now. As someone who did some stupid things as a kid, I find it terrifying.
I've never heard of this scenario happening to anyone. Can you give some examples you've seen?

A. Tell me where you’re from (city and state). Just curious because I wonder how many urban areas in Utah are ignorant of this? Or if it’s isolated to the rural areas where the population is homogeneous?

What does that have to do with anything? Don't focus so much on race or skin color. No matter who you are, its all about the culture you grew up in.

I don't think that's a great idea. There are plenty of books and essays examining the myriad ways our culture has and continues to marginalize POC, for anyone who wants to get educated on the topic.

Wait, you expect people to read what scholars have to say? And then reflect on themselves?

That’s ****ing crazy talk.

I've never heard of this scenario happening to anyone. Can you give some examples you've seen?
Yeah the governor of Virginia, who was seen as a champion of equal rights, now is being called on to resign when it came out he had used black face in the 80s.

I think it would be awesome if Jazz fans in the Vivint started treating Russell W extra nice. Like every time he gets the ball, people chant,

"Hey-guys,-be-really-cool-to-Russel-Westbrook.-He-has-been-mistreated-by-some-of-us-in-the-past.-He-doesn't-deserve-it,-regardless-of-the-fact-that-he-threatened-to-do-a-woman-harm-on-live-television."

Put that **** on a poster or better yet a soccer-stadium style tifo that fans carry above their heads on a big sheet.