What's new

Jazz "considering" Conley for Blake.

Yeah, his Conley trade was absolutely brilliant. I could never match that level of GM mastery. Or his ability to turn #23 into #27 and #38 while a rookie GM turned #23 into #25 and #33.

You're right; I could never be like that.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app
FWIW he may have been aware of #25 and #33, but wasn't interested. He was locked in on Azubuike and wanted to move as far back as possible. The second pick was irrelevant cuz he was using it for TB. In any case, it didn't matter, #25 and #33 or #27 and #38, the outcome would have been the same.
Also possible he told the Knicks about the Minny picks to get them to trade #27 and #38 and that Ed Davis was part of it as a 'you scratch my back" thing. That would be giving him a lot of credit tho as some kind of mastermind.

FWIW he may have been aware of #25 and #33, but wasn't interested. He was locked in on Azubuike and wanted to move as far back as possible. The second pick was irrelevant cuz he was using it for TB. In any case, it didn't matter, #25 and #33 or #27 and #38, the outcome would have been the same.
Also possible he told the Knicks about the Minny picks to get them to trade #27 and #38 and that Ed Davis was part of it as a 'you scratch my back" thing. That would be giving him a lot of credit tho as some kind of mastermind.
If DL knew he could get #25 and #33 instead of #27 and #38 but still chose #27 and #38, he should be fired immediately for incompetence.

If DL knew he could get #25 and #33 instead of #27 and #38 but still chose #27 and #38, he should be fired immediately for incompetence.

So when he moves to do something that is good we are critical because he should have waited. Things change by the minute during the draft and it did fall well for the Knicks but it could have gone the other way. The amount of hind site complaining about FO moves on this board is more than absurd.

Why? If he was determined to draft Azubuike what difference did it make? UA is cheaper at #27 than #25.
It's asset management. He made the trade the morning of the draft.

In our hypothetical situation; if he had the choice of #25 and #33 or #27 and #38, every single GM in the NBA should take #25 and #33. There is no explanation why he wouldn't.

So when he moves to do something that is good we are critical because he should have waited. Things change by the minute during the draft and it did fall well for the Knicks but it could have gone the other way. The amount of hind site complaining about FO moves on this board is more than absurd.
I agree. Things evolve.

However, we made two deals with NY that NY flipped to Minnesota for better value.

Once? Sure. It happens. Twice? Cmon man.

This is all in response to "LoPo would do worse trades" comments. Its not like DL is perfect.

In our hypothetical situation; if he had the choice of #25 and #33 or #27 and #38, every single GM in the NBA should take #25 and #33. There is no explanation why he wouldn't.

How do you even know 25-33 was even on the market the day before? And to wait for the draft to start is a huge gamble. They knew what they wanted to do and they were aggressive in meeting their goals.

Well the explanation, right or wrong, is that he was determined to draft UA. So I would rather draft him at 27 than 25. The position of the second round pick was irrelevant.

I agree. Things evolve.

However, we made two deals with NY that NY flipped to Minnesota for better value.

Once? Sure. It happens. Twice? Cmon man.

This is all in response to "LoPo would do worse trades" comments. Its not like DL is perfect.

Didn't the second deal with Minny bring salary back to NY?

Didn't the second deal with Minny bring salary back to NY?
No, Davis still gets paid more (5 mil in 2021) than Spellman/Evans combined(4mil). So they were able to save 1mil in the trade plus a second round pick on top of that and if you think about it, second round pick=$(you can always flip it for cash consideration on draft night almost a guarantee). We gave away 2 second round pick($$) to offload Ed's 5mil but are still subject to luxury tax. Knicks got 3 second round picks($$$), saved an additional 1 mil in space, and players that may very well be in their rotation for this coming season.

No, Davis still gets paid more (5 mil in 2021) than Spellman/Evans combined(4mil). So they were able to save 1mil in the trade plus a second round pick on top of that and if you think about it, second round pick=$(you can always flip it for cash consideration on draft night almost a guarantee). We gave away 2 second round pick($$) to offload Ed's 5mil but are still subject to luxury tax. Knicks got 3 second round picks($$$), saved an additional 1 mil in space, and players that may very well be in their rotation for this coming season.
Right. I get that. But aren't they still on the hook for 4m in salary? We didn't want salary back for Ed so we had to trade him into space.

Right. I get that. But aren't they still on the hook for 4m in salary? We didn't want salary back for Ed so we had to trade him into space.
in the salary, yes. but we are still subject to LT after that so getting rid of Ed's 5 mil is not as much of a game changer as people'd hoped. Knicks could easily get those 4M back by selling the extra 3 picks they've got in the trade. plus they spent the salary on players that may have a chance to play. we are paying NWG/Tucker/Brantley the same amount and the chances are they gonna earn those money by cheering from the bench.

How do you even know 25-33 was even on the market the day before? And to wait for the draft to start is a huge gamble. They knew what they wanted to do and they were aggressive in meeting their goals.
If they wanted UA that badly, they could take him at #23 and buy a 2nd to dump TB. NY getting a better deal for the exact same pick has zero rational explanation that accounts for NY simply outperforming us.

If they wanted UA that badly, they could take him at #23 and buy a 2nd to dump TB. NY getting a better deal for the exact same pick has zero rational explanation that accounts for NY simply outperforming us.

Who cares if the Knicks traded the pick for a better haul. The Knicks were probably able to make the trade based off of how the draft was going. If the jazz had made the trade during the draft then NY turns around and trades the pick again then that looks bad. Again. Most likely the wolves weren’t looking to trade up the day before. Stop being so dumb.