What's new

Jazz Draft Jared Butler

Worst case scenario for Butler would be he becomes to Trey Burke-y. The PG on the smaller side who can't finish in the paint and his jumper isnt as good as advertised. I could see Butler having a tough rookie year with adjusting to NBA size like Burke did.
ugh, that's a sad thought. probably fairly realistic for a worst case, but yeah, seems about right. at least butler is bigger than burke - that should help assuming he does have some similar struggles.

I think for a guy like Butler it all comes down to how much his PG skills develop (and obviously his health *fingers crossed*). Can he be a leader who makes players around him better, or is he simply just a Terry Rozier type (which is still a solid outcome)? Conley is probably the best mentor possible for him.
Agree. Both are known for their craftiness and basketball IQ rather than explosiveness and physicality. A couple of training sessions with Mike on running the pick n roll, Butler could be ready to take on the PG role from day one.

Burke has also acknowledged that he coasted once he was drafted and just expected he would be good. If Butler does the same then we’ll be disappointed, but I don’t think that will be the case and I think Butler’s floor and ceiling are higher.

People just like to make fun of other places to make them feel better about their own. They think other places are bad because that's all they've been told their whole life.

Calling a place a ******** is about as bad as racism.
But seriously, everyone in Kentucky marries their cousin.

Burke has also acknowledged that he coasted once he was drafted and just expected he would be good. If Butler does the same then we’ll be disappointed, but I don’t think that will be the case and I think Butler’s floor and ceiling are higher.
I also believe Trey didn't have any mentorship when he was here. Even then it's up to whether or not the veteran wants to be a mentor, and I think Mike is all for being that.

Worst case scenario for Butler would be he becomes to Trey Burke-y. The PG on the smaller side who can't finish in the paint and his jumper isnt as good as advertised. I could see Butler having a tough rookie year with adjusting to NBA size like Burke did.
You keep giving that comp. I don't see it at all. JB is three inches taller and much thicker through the shoulders. The game looks really slow to JB. His court awareness looks light years ahead of TB. JB appears to see things a few steps ahead of others. I never got that from TB. I don't even know what you are spouting about JB's jumper isn't as good as advertised. Thats just your typical contrarian nonsense.

You keep giving that comp. I don't see it at all. JB is three inches taller and much thicker through the shoulders. The game looks really slow to JB. His court awareness looks light years ahead of TB. JB appears to see things a few steps ahead of others. I never got that from TB. I don't even know what you are spouting about JB's jumper isn't as good as advertised. Thats just your typical contrarian nonsense.
1. It's the first time I brought Burke up at all in regards to JB, and I didnt comp them, I just said the worst case scenario is he experiences the same problems as Burke. There are plenty of other smaller guards who have the same issues transitioning to the NBA, but Burke is obviously the most known to us Jazz fans.

2. I didnt say his jumper isnt as good as advertised. I just if it isn't, he is going to run into problems. Plenty of players have had their jumpers not translate due to NBA size/speed.

3. TB was an awesome prospect. He's also longer than JB, so whatever JB has in height, Burke beats him on length. Court awareness was definitely in Burke's favor as well as he was one of the best overall PG's in college of the past decade. Let's not use hindsight to dictate the kind of prospect Burke was.

4. I'm not being contrarian at all. I had JB rated as the 14th overall prospect you dingus. I really like his game, but to act like he's a sure fire prospect who wont run into any problems is being a bit too optimistic for my taste. Some players adjust, some players don't. There have been better prospects than JB who have failed to adjust.

1. It's the first time I brought Burke up at all in regards to JB, and I didnt comp them, I just said the worst case scenario is he experiences the same problems as Burke. There are plenty of other smaller guards who have the same issues transitioning to the NBA, but Burke is obviously the most known to us Jazz fans.

2. I didnt say his jumper isnt as good as advertised. I just if it isn't, he is going to run into problems. Plenty of players have had their jumpers not translate due to NBA size/speed.

3. TB was an awesome prospect. He's also longer than JB, so whatever JB has in height, Burke beats him on length. Court awareness was definitely in Burke's favor as well as he was one of the best overall PG's in college of the past decade. Let's not use hindsight to dictate the kind of prospect Burke was.

4. I'm not being contrarian at all. I had JB rated as the 14th overall prospect you dingus. I really like his game, but to act like he's a sure fire prospect who wont run into any problems is being a bit too optimistic for my taste. Some players adjust, some players don't. There have been better prospects than JB who have failed to adjust.
I’ve had the same concerns over Butler. Neither he or Burk are explosive athletes. While Butler is taller, his wing span is not ideal, he will struggle to finish inside. If he doesn’t process well or progress, he could easily turn Trey Burk-ish as Cy put it. Let’s just hope he doesn’t have a Trey Burk-ish like summer league. Lol

I’ve had the same concerns over Butler. Neither he or Burk are explosive athletes. While Butler is taller, his wing span is not ideal, he will struggle to finish inside. If he doesn’t process well or progress, he could easily turn Trey Burk-ish as Cy put it. Let’s just hope he doesn’t have a Trey Burk-ish like summer league. Lol
If a 40th pick ends up being Trey Burke, that’s a pretty decent outcome for a 40th pick.