What's new

Jazz draft Taylor Hendricks at 9

(Whispers so other posters can’t hear) The front office really doesn’t see him as this amazing building block… he’s a fine prospect and undoubtedly an nba rotation player… but not the guy you declare a for sure starter in his second year… at some point we end up with something more dynamic. Please don’t tell the others… they have a hard time with the truth.
I wasn’t really around here when we were tanking but I watched the games. Came back and was kind of shocked, even as Jazz homers, to see everyone gushing over Ochai. Like I’m not sure what we’re supposed to be super impressed about. I feel good about him being a rotation player in the future….but he’s not quite established there yet.
I can’t believe my eyes…

Do you like Lauri Markennan? Cause he doesn't average 10 boards per game
He’s a super unique player, and a star. That’s in all likelihood not Hendricks. So I need to see him do something other than shoot well and rim defend. One of our weaknesses was defensive rebounding late in close games. It often got frustrating. Say we are inproved defensively thanks to Hendricks. Not going to matter if we are giving teams second and third chances every other possession. Being an elite rebounder would make him that much more of a team influencer in a much more positive way in justifying drafting him over Cam. Confused with your hostility towards me in hoping he can be a great rebounder once IMO he isn’t going to be a star. The added rebounding would valet him into being a high valued role player. No one wants to see this team succeed more than me.

He’s a super unique player, and a star. That’s in all likelihood not Hendricks. So I need to see him do something other than shoot well and rim defend. One of our weaknesses was defensive rebounding late in close games. It often got frustrating. Say we are inproved defensively thanks to Hendricks. Not going to matter if we are giving teams second and third chances every other possession. Being an elite rebounder would make him that much more of a team influencer in a much more positive way in justifying drafting him over Cam. Confused with your hostility towards me in hoping he can be a great rebounder once IMO he isn’t going to be a star. The added rebounding would valet him into being a high valued role player. No one wants to see this team succeed more than me.
I mean a big reason we sucked at defensive rebounding at the end of close games is because it took a damn long time for Hardy to start closing games with Kessler.

Lets project next year numbers.

Kessler 11-14 boards per game
Lauri 7-10
Hendricks 4-6

Yeah we are fine on first team FC rebounding.

The fact that the three threads dedicated to our drafted players our top pick has the least post should tell you how underwhelming this pick was

Im not being hostile towards you. I just think its strange that for you to like the pick (If Hendricks can be a guy that averages 10+ boards a game. I’ll take back the F for a B on Hendricks) Hendricks has to average 10 rebounds per game.

So if Hendricks is defensive player of the year, league mvp, finals mvp and averages 33 points, 10 assists, and 9 rebounds per game then you still give the pick an F grade. But if hendricks gets all those awards and all those averages and get just 1 more rebound per game then you will reluctantly give him a B grade lol. That is some majore hostily and hate my friend.

Neither Lauri or Taylor are going to average 10 boards a game playing with Kessler. Hell even Sensabaugh rebounds.
Well then I guess Hendricks is just going to get an F grade from thee no matter what then darn it.

Jazz twitter really trying to push:

Ochai
Hendricks
Lauri
Kessler

Is it not obvious how poor that lineup is? Or are we all talking about a tank mode lineup?

Ochai
Hendricks
Lauri
Kessler

Is it not obvious how poor that lineup is? Or are we all talking about a tank mode lineup?
That lineup is going to be great with Keyonte, Sexton or THT at the 1. How is that not obvious to you?

Ochai
Hendricks
Lauri
Kessler

I feel like a defensive player of the year, an all nba player, a top ten talent, and good 3 and D returning starter is 4 good players. Agree to disagree I guess.

That lineup is going to be great with Keyonte, Sexton or THT at the 1. How is that not obvious to you?
We can play 7-man lineups?

Also, THT might opt out, Keyonte is a rookie, and Sexton isn’t really a point guard. The point is that is a LOT of playmaking pressure on the 1 that we frankly don’t even have.

One great thing about Utah is a drier climate than Orange County, I am sure our 9 will love that almost as much as his sisters

The whole potential thing is funny to me.

This plays: If keyonte can go from a horrible shooter and horrible playmaker to a great shooter and great playmaker then he could be amazing so he has amazing potential.
This also plays: If anthony black can go from a horrible (and unwilling) shooter and a horrible assist/turnover ratio to a good shooter and good floor general then he will be amazing.
But apparently this doesn't play: If Taylor Hendricks can go from a horrible ball in hand shot creator to a good ball in hand shot creator then he will be amazing.

Weird to me. It feels like if keyonte was shooting a great percentage in college and getting assists like crazy then somehow his potential would go down and if Hendricks only shot 32% from three we could say things like "man hendricks has great physical tools and a really good looking shot. He is a humble hard worker. If he can get his 3 point shot up to like 38% he could be amazing." Since he already shoots great from 3 then his potential sucks. Kind of seems like potential means that a dude has a bunch of weaknesses that can be improved upon whereas a guy without potential has less weaknesses to improve upon. So the guy with more weaknesses has more potential and is therefore the better prospect. Cause he has more weaknesses.

Last edited:
We can play 7-man lineups?

Also, THT might opt out, Keyonte is a rookie, and Sexton isn’t really a point guard. The point is that is a LOT of playmaking pressure on the 1 that we frankly don’t even have.
ya but I was told that Clarkson was just a chucker but then I saw him become a great passer at times when he wanted to or was coached to. I dont think its that big of a deal. That team will move the ball and find the ball in the hands of plenty of dudes capable of putting it into the hoop. Sexton can score and is very efficient. same with lauri. same with hendricks. same with Kessler. Ochai was less efficient but in his last 4 games of the year he scored 28, 13, 22, 19 and guys usually seem to make a jump from year 1 to year 2 (at least i think that is a common though. Could be wrong). We have already seen it with all of those guys. We are hoping that to be the case with keyonte but we dont know. These guys have all played basketball forever. They all know how to pass the ball and hardy knows how to get guys open looks. We also still have dunn who wasn't mentioned but played a lot like conley did last year, though even better.

And I think we all agree that the current roster will not be the final roster. I know that wasn't part of the discussion but just wanted to throw that out there