What's new

Jazz Exit Interviews

Based off an interview to DL yesterday on the zone it sounded like changes are coming. I’d be surprised if Rubio came back. I don’t think the Jazz stand pat, and there are some good names out there in FA it sounds like.

Ricky’s interview was pretty telling imo... the issue is the FA market for pgs is solid for borderline starters but outside of Brogdon and Kemba the pg market isn’t robust.

Hello friends, I greet you! First forgive my English is very bad, but I need your help. Friends, I'm a big fan of Chile, Utah Jazz is my great love, I need to buy this hat (Utah Jazz mural hat new era) but I can not find it in any Ecommerce store. If any of you could give me a piece of information, that is not a scam shop, I would greatly appreciate it since a friend goes to the United States and would bring it to me. Once again forgive me if my posting does not correspond and for the inconvenience. Thank you!
Utah%20Jazz%20hat-076jqd.jpg

Hello friends, I greet you! First forgive my English is very bad, but I need your help. Friends, I'm a big fan of Chile, Utah Jazz is my great love, I need to buy this hat (Utah Jazz mural hat new era) but I can not find it in any Ecommerce store. If any of you could give me a piece of information, that is not a scam shop, I would greatly appreciate it since a friend goes to the United States and would bring it to me. Once again forgive me if my posting does not correspond and for the inconvenience. Thank you!
Utah%20Jazz%20hat-076jqd.jpg

upload_2019-4-26_12-51-35.jpeg

It’s close.

The DL hate is shockingly irrational. The Jazz are one of the most disadvantaged franchises in the league due to location (small market, weather, geographically isolated, & perceptions about Utah) and financial resources (relatively poor owner, regional tv revenue). Despite this, DL has steered the team to be in a better position than most of the league. Seriously, which teams (players and coaches) would you want to switch with right now? For me it would be: Warriors, Rockets, Celtics, Bucks, 76ers. The only other teams that I had to think about for more than 3 seconds before deciding I would pass on them are: Lakers, Nuggets, Mavericks.

Who do you think DL would be replaced by, and why/how are they going to be better? Even if there was someone who is obviously better than DL, why do you think they would come to Utah?

Again, complaining because DL hasn't constructed a team that can beat the Warriors and Rockets is so irrational.

Lol, so now we can’t even land GM or front office personnel because we’re “Utah”? Haha.

The critique comes at that level. His job is to get the personnel capable of bringing in a championship. If he can’t do that he needs to go. Despite all the other good he’s done.

Lol, so now we can’t even land GM or front office personnel because we’re “Utah”? Haha.

The critique comes at that level. His job is to get the personnel capable of bringing in a championship. If he can’t do that he needs to go. Despite all the other good he’s done.

We are also well funded, so the cash strapped small market stuff is a little much. I remember Windhorst mentioning that we net about as much as the Celtics ownership group does, but that the info was private and he wasn't even supposed to see it. It makes sense... we are a small market with a TV deal, arena is full in good times and bad, don't have the acquisition debt other owners do, and have largely been at the lower end of the salary scale nearly every year.

I think there are a few destination markets like LA, Miami, Bay Area, NY and the rest are dependent on basketball situation, relationships, and who has the biggest bag of money. Getting free agents is hard in most markets... retaining big free agents is a valid small market concern.

And if you weren't going to get the top tier free agents you should be adding mid level guys with our flexibility over the years. Those guys go to the highest bidder and all things being equal many would choose our basketball situation.

Evaluating a GM is not nearly as simple as "did you get the personnel to bring in a championship". You have to take into consideration opportunities and ownership/organizational risk appetite and financial constraints. Again, look what other teams have better coaching and player personnel than the Jazz. Seems like DL is doing a really good job.

To be clear, I don't think it is unreasonable to criticize DL, even his 3 A+ moves (Snyder, Gobert, and Mitchell) had a lot of luck in them. But to say he should be fired without having a replacement in mind seems bananas.

Evaluating a GM is not nearly as simple as "did you get the personnel to bring in a championship". You have to take into consideration opportunities and ownership/organizational risk appetite and financial constraints. Again, look what other teams have better coaching and player personnel than the Jazz. Seems like DL is doing a really good job.

To be clear, I don't think it is unreasonable to criticize DL, even his 3 A+ moves (Snyder, Gobert, and Mitchell) had a lot of luck in them. But to say he should be fired without having a replacement in mind seems bananas.

I definitely wouldn’t fire the guy... I do think people are a little quick to not place blame on him for some of his errors/misjudgments. Others dismissing his good moves as just dumb luck is silly.

It just seems like every time I see the plan forming it falls like a step or two short of where I think it should. Last summer I supported the run it back theory with the flexibility but under the assumption we’d make a significant trade... we didn’t so it just feels stitched together and incomplete imo. Takes two to tango but we saw some solid players move and the asking price seemed reasonable. We don’t know what was out there but not getting the deals pushed through is part of his job. He just feels like he’s too hesitant to trade something safe and good for something potentially better that has some risk. It’s good sometimes but that philosophy has a ceiling... are we at the ceiling? Is he capable of now doing the overhaul we need? Those are the questions he has to answer.

For the record I’ve been a big DL supporter on here for the last several seasons. But he has to produce now.

For the record I’ve been a big DL supporter on here for the last several seasons. But he has to produce now.

And spend if needed, you can’t tell me that they can’t afford the luxury tax when they’re filling the arena night in and night out.

We have a window here with Mitchell and Gobert to work with, and the Jazz should go all in with it. These kind of players don’t grow on trees.

And spend if needed, you can’t tell me that they can’t afford the luxury tax when they’re filling the arena night in and night out.

We have a window here with Mitchell and Gobert to work with, and the Jazz should go all in with it. These kind of players don’t grow on trees.
hqdefault.jpg

If Lindsey will "take the blame" that really only means one thing; can his ***.

He has this offseason to figure it out. I appreciate the Gobert and Mitchell moves, but he had better have another one coming because my goodwill towards him is spent.

August will be the start of his 8th year as GM. If 8 years of building the “right way” isn’t enough to build a contender then I don’t know what the **** is.

they paid tax twice at a total amount of $8M per the internet. They also funded most of their own arena improvements... buuuuuuut….

They also operated at or damn near the salary floor for many years under the flexibility, asset accumulation guise. Some years it was warranted some year it was just flat out cheap and cost us some ability to win additional games.

Financially they can't blow 10s of millions on luxury tax every year... but we aren't asking that... I'm saying spend up to the tax threshold is completely feasible. There were years we left a lot of meat on the bone and the ownership group benefited financially. That is all water under the bridge... but no one can really say we have an issue building a team because of financial constraints... those would all be 100% self-imposed cheapskate strategies. Small market does not mean less profitable in our case.