What's new

Jazz Fan GoFundMe #HumaneJazzFans

JFFR

Check it out. Be Generous. Spread the word.

https://www.gofundme.com/utah-jazz-fans-westbrook-human-rights

Jazz fans are not bigots.
Jazz fans are not racist.
Jazz fans are loyal to the Utah Jazz.

In light of recent events between Russell Westbrook & a few outlying Jazz fans, I am calling for the true, loyal, welcoming & kind Utah Jazz fans to show our true colors.

Let's raise $25,000 - the same amount Russell Westbrook was fined - and donate it to the Human Rights Campaign.

It is time to change the narrative on citizens of Utah, fans of the Jazz and those that call Utah 'home'. We are not a bunch of redneck, racist, bigots. Most of us are dads, moms, friends, hard-workers, kind-hearted, do right by each other, help our fellow man, good neighbors and welcoming to all.

I have been a Utah Jazz fan my entire life. My family has had season tickets on the 2nd row since I was 5 years old. I have been to 100+ Jazz games and had friendly banter with players from Charles Barkley to Russell Westbrook and every era in between. I have never personally experience racism or bigotry. I pride myself in being respectful to the players. I want the national media to see who we really are. #HumaneJazzFans #TakeNote

Last edited:
Lmao. As if donating money going make people view you different. Even people that hateLBJ will say he gives a lot back. Start treating players better and maybe when your at the game and hear a racist comment go tell the usher . Multiple ex players on TNT talked about hearing racial remarks while In Utah. I live in Colorado and we would guess over half Utah population is racist or weird. Salt Lake City is the weirdest big town I have ever been to.

Lmao. As if donating money going make people view you different. Even people that hateLBJ will say he gives a lot back. Start treating players better and maybe when your at the game and hear a racist comment go tell the usher . Multiple ex players on TNT talked about hearing racial remarks while In Utah. I live in Colorado and we would guess over half Utah population is racist or weird. Salt Lake City is the weirdest big town I have ever been to.

Charitable giving is a part of the Utah culture. We don't really do it to make people view us differently. We do it because we want the world to be a better place.

I donated because I've been upset by some of the ignorance of fans here in Utah* and this felt like a way I could push back.

*I'm also a USU fan and I was already upset at the ignorance of the student section at the Nevada game.

Why did you post that?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I have lived in Chicago, Denver, Boston, Houston, Dallas, and Alberta Canada. I travel to cities all over the world for work but mostly US and I have spent time in 49 of the 50 states. Weekly I work with refugees from Myanmar and Thailand who love Salt Lake city. In the last month I have spent time in North Dakota, New York, Houston, and Denver. The notion that Utah has a higher percent of weird or racist is a reflection of political popularity and a lack of real experience in Utah. Every city I go to has things that are unique. You can call it weird if you like but frankly it demonstrates its own version of narrow thinking. I happen to enjoy the differences I experience in virtually every place I go. I have heard from many work colleagues who have spent time in Salt Lake City that it has an abundance of cultural understanding and tolerance. The African American population is obviously lower than many US cities but anyone who uses that as the gauge of diversity is not very diverse.

What happened to Westbook was wrong in every way as is the way he interacts with fans. There is no getting around that and I am very glad to see the swift punishment. I hope in the future we are even quicker to remove obnoxious fans. The convenience of using the situation to label people or act like our arena or fans are different than other NBA settings is flawed.

And you would be wrong. But you go ahead and keep being ignorant.

The problem that I have is that I don't think that people who view Utahns or Jazz fans as racists/bigots/etc will change their views no matter what we do. Unfortunately.

Their stereotypes about us are just as ignorant as what this idiotic Jazz fan said to Westbrook. They don't see that though. And if they do they feel their comments are somehow justified because of incidents like this. Which is ridiculous. None of it should be acceptable in our society.

There are bad apples in every fan base and in every corner of society. And they spread ignorance. Hopefully one day it changes. But its unlikely.

That said, I think that this is a great idea. Its worth a shot. Hopefully it changes a few minds at least.

Btw, I posted something similar to what I posted above in a Reddit thread about the Westbrook/Jazz fan incident. It got downvoted like crazy and I got a bunch of disrespectful responses about Utahns and Jazz fans. I think it shows the ignorance that is out there.

You need to get out more. Try spending an afternoon walking around downtown LA if you're looking for weird.

Then do us all a favor and don’t come back.

Unless they dont hit the goal.

I could see a narrative of "Racist Utah Can Raise $25k for a Stayward Sign but not for Anti-Racism"

To be clear I think this is cool and will support it... but dumb people will always mock "try-hards" if they fail. Think it is cool someone took action.

I looked online at the Tribune page to see something i could point to show Utah weirdness. And there it was talking about beer only have 4 percent liquor instead of the 4.8 and higher most beers are. I got dirty looks asking about coffee at some gas station. Like i said weird place. I'm looked at like a zoo animal because of my skin and having tattoos. I never before felt so singled out

I looked online at the Tribune page to see something i could point to show Utah weirdness. And there it was talking about beer only have 4 percent liquor instead of the 4.8 and higher most beers are. I got dirty looks asking about coffee at some gas station. Like i said weird place. I'm looked at like a zoo animal because of my skin and having tattoos. I never before felt so singled out
Educate yourself

https://m.cityweekly.net/utah/the-32-myth/Content?oid=2157643